“I felt like a 39 year old child!”

Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
$65.75*
High Adventure Day Tour from Keswick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Reputedly the most beautiful train journey in England, this 15-inch, narrow gauge railway carries passengers along seven miles of scenic track, from the old Roman Port of Ravenglass (the only coastal village in the Lake District National Park) along the Eskdale Valley to Eskdale during a 40 minute ride. Experience the heritage steam engines on a stunning scenic day out.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I rode this train (The River Irt, the oldest working 15in steam locomotive in the world!) for her birthday day out and we both loved it! amazing scenery and even though there are no comforts in the carriages the journey seems to only last a short while, although it is 40mins.

I loved it so much I am going to try and ride every little steam train I can find! I am!

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Great day out for all ages. We went with our two young boys aged 3 and one. They loved it. You have a choice of three different types of carriages: completely open top, covered top but open sides or closed carriage. So good for all weathers! Better if you don't take a buggy as it would be hassle to take on train with you as not much space but lots of people had buggys and I think all were accommodated. Saw a carriage for disabled access although not on all trains maybe? And also had a VIP carriage, again not on all trains though I think. Parked at Ravenglass, then had lunch at cafe at the other end... Tasty food and good choice. Also good play areas for kids. Cannot recommend enough. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We had just spent the morning fishing in the estuary which is a fantastic place and it was our last day and we wanted to go on the railway which is well worth the train fare. We thoroughly enjoyed it and when we got to Dalesgarth the view of Scafell Pike was fantastic (next time I will climb it). We walked up to Stanley Ghyll Force which was stunning.

On the way back we caught the last train and were the only ones on it. We felt like royalty.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I think the greatest compliment I can pay "The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway" is to refer everybody to the superb report by Patricia B "La'al Gem" she puts it over wonderfully.

Unlike Patricia and her husband todays weather was fine with a few sunny periods, I'm a Corporate Member of The HRA and I will make sure that this report is forwarded to our headquarters.

We had a return trip to and from Ravenglass, we sampled the very wholesome food on offer at the cafe, I found that the staff were very well
presented and helpful. 10/10 well done.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Spent a day on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. Repeated a trip made 39 years ago. Still just as exciting. Not much to do when you get to Ravenglass, but the journey was worth the effort.