All reviewsgames roomscafell pikedrying roomstunning locationopen water swimmingtable tennis tabletake ear plugsbed dormcommon roomwet clothestea bagsevening meal and breakfasta great place to stayreal firemicro brewerycouldn't faulthostel
Reviewed September 12, 2017

Having stayed in a few hostels on our trip this was our favourite. Peaceful, isolated, welcoming and spectacular, what more can you ask for?
Upon our arrival the staff were able to provide a delicious two-course meal and we loved the social aspect to the dining arrangements. We will be highly recommending this to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2017

It was awesome-beautiful views, an absolutely lovely place to just sit but also to walk, paddle, take pics, play with dogs... just chill! We ended up here because there was a problem with our room at eskdale but what a perfect holiday..after heading up mountains, the lake was gorgeous!
I had booked for myself and my daughter but for the days I wanted they only had a private 4 bed available so we invited friends... it was comfortable with pretty much everything we needed. Initially we were disappointed there was no laundry but the drying room was so good we could wash in sink and everything dried really quickly ( we needed it after getting muddy at eskdale). Luckily we had bought shopping on the way to the hostel as we didn't discover another shop... couple of pubs which did lovely food, farm shop for honey ... the hostel provides some food and we had breakfast on our last day (both continental and cooked, and as last in dining room we got seconds :D).
Treated ourselves to bottle of wine, cheaper than getting glasses..oh well! And had to try the porter, very nice.. As I said the kids were a little disappointed after we left eskdale but after seeing the water and the dogs, they were very happy!!
Friendly staff who were so helpful and I did keep asking them stuff...very patient, including the nice smiley () manager who helped rescue my pizza... my girl wanted to ask what camera you have but forgot to, very impressed by beautiful pics
Only got to visit the games room once because the kids were convinced it was haunted but seen as I got beaten twice at table football we settled for board games instead..fab!
There were lots of older single travellers, a few families ( both little ones and older teens) as well as young people..

Just going to have to work out how to get there...maybe worth learning how to drive!

Room Tip: We had private room but had dorms too - lots of showers
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2017

Superb setting and great base for two families to climb Scafell Pike. Staff were extremely helpful. The children had much fun playing with the Hostel's two dogs, Geoff and Eric - although my son will not now stop asking for us to get our own Eric! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2017

One of the 1st things that strikes you about this place is its grandeur. Walking into the YHA, it feels like you are in a country manor home. The staff are really friendly, smiles all round and nothing felt like too much trouble.

The lounge is huge and lovely photographs hang from the wall of views from around the Wasdale valley.

The toilets do feel a little confined, but the shower was just fine, and the sleeping quarters is exactly what you can expect from a YHA.

Make sure you take ear plugs and an eye mask if staying in a dorm, you can't blame anyone but yourself if you choose a dorm and then don't take adequate measures for a peaceful nights sleep. It's a YHA.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2017

I stayed here for one night as a base for some walking from Wasdale Head. The facilities were just what I needed - parking, evening meal, bed / showers / breakfast / packed lunch (which I forgot to take with me!). The setting is wonderful, as is the building itself.

Sleep quality reflects the fact that I was (by choice) in a big dorm where people were coming in and out, putting lights on, opening curtains and so on, at times when I might have wanted lights off, curtains closed and so on. That goes with the choice to stay in a dorm, though.

Service at breakfast was a little odd. Took me a little time to be sure that the staff knew I was there and waiting for my food. Once it came, it was plentiful and good quality.

Both of these are minor complaints and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. In fact I'm keen for my family to come up here and experience this place too.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)