“An Excellent Place To Stay”
Review of Moresby Hall

Moresby Hall
Ranked #1 of 2 Moresby B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“An Excellent Place To Stay”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a friendly a friendly family run guest house, with excellent service and a friendly atmosphere.
I have stayed with Jane and David on 3 occaisions now and cannot fault the exceptional service or quality of food.
On my first visit i was treated to a four poster bed and a whirlpool bath.
I would hesitate in recommending Moresby Hall.
History in Cumbria

Room Tip: As well as single room 16th century cottages with 2 and 3 bedroom are also available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MoresbyHall, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Delighted to see your lovely comments, even though you are staying on business with your colleague it is always good to know that guests staying for an extended period during the week are so satisfied. I am especially pleased that our tasty mid week set meal options are worthy of praise and you have enjoyed our hospitality overall. Best wishes - Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
hampshire
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We took 2 rooms for our stay, and altho' both rooms in themselves were good quality, we would take issue with the bathrooms and the service. We arrived at the appointed time 16.00hrs, having tried to ring all day to ask if we could book for dinner. The telephone number was incorrect on their details. The door was firmly shut, very grand and imposing. My husband could get no response, and eventually he found a door open at the back and walked thro' to let us in. This door became a metaphor for the service. Having been given a key, you are required to leave it in a box when leaving, and must ring to re-enter the house. The reason given was fire safety, and occupancy. However, the owners, having been in business, would know that there are many ways to do that, and give people freedom. It was like the old Blackpool boarding house. On 2 nights, we had to stand in the rain waiting for entry. Breakfast was adequate, and the cold breakfast, poor. Last breakfast is 9.00, unless negotiated. Our other gripe was that there were conferences on at the same time, and we were disturbed by participants on both mornings, and the public rooms were occupied when we returned during the day, so we could not use the rest of the house. Check if you are looking for a relaxing stay. The owners knew how to respond when asked, but I didn't get the impression that the customer came first, it was their home, and you fitted in.

Room Tip: Think what you want from a bathroom, and choose a room with space, De Asby huge room, poor size bath...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank moscovy
MoresbyHall, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I'm sorry to see such a disparaging review. Our many regular guests and previous reviewers know that we pride ourselves on great customer service and have a genuine desire to provide good service. As Moresby Hall is a country guest house and family home the door is secured (as most peoples homes are) so guests ring the bell on arrival. Welcoming our guests is fundamental and it is truly a pleasure to receive a booking and provide genuine hospitality. We are happy to provide dinner, by prior arrangement as we don't operate a full time restaurant. Leaving of the bedroom key lets us know who is in the building and who is not. Our lone female guests especially welcome good security and I think this guest would not have been happy with strangers greeting her on the landing. Guests returning much later in the evening can of course arrange to have a front door key if they prefer. This procedure has worked well since we opened. The comments about breakfast are disappointing. The guest ordered 2 cooked breakfasts which were enjoyed and complimented on both days. Her own request was simply for fruit, cereal & toast so I don't know how we could improve upon that. We have 7 types of cereal, toast, bagels, crumpets and sometimes fresh croissants, fresh juice, fresh fruit salad, pro-biotic yoghurt & drinks. In addition there is English breakfast, porridge and weekend specials. During the week we serve breakfast from 6:30 am - 9 am (later for weekends) which for only 6 rooms is a very extended period but usually suffices. When this was mentioned as an issue on the first morning I gladly offered a later breakfast for the next day. Our reception rooms are for all our residents to use, and as we were fully booked, our other guests would understandably be enjoying the lovely ambience of those areas. Some guests will socialise with each other but this guest didn't wish to. Our website clearly shows that we occasionally hold small conferences or weddings during the day. The bedrooms are exceptionally spacious with good seating so if she didn't wish to mix with other people she had plenty of their own space to relax. The De Asby room has a shower room (with large steam & hydro massage shower) and a towel shelf with a towel rail at the base of it. Her elderly mothers room was smaller but had a larger shower room. This is a Grade I listed building and every room has its own characteristics and many original features. This is the first time a guest has glared at me in a strangely hostile and unpleasant manner when I greeted them for breakfast and I could see immediately that this place was not for them. I don't think I could have been more solicitous to the guest's charming elderly mother, or done more for them, but regrettably they were not happy with their stay.
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was a once in a lifetime experience for me ,and i wasnt disappointed it was amazing .Jane and David go out of their way to make your stay perfect .The rooms are amazing and infact the whole house is just out of this world .It was a dream come true for me staying in a room with a fourposter bed .I would not hesitate to recomend Moresby Hall to any future guests .I will never forget this birthday treat .

Room Tip: Go for one of the fourposter bedrooms .
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MoresbyHall, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I love birthdays and how wonderful that your treat was everything you could have wished for. It absolutely makes my day to know that you were so happy and comfortable. I hope you will choose to visit on another occasion one day. We really appreciate your kind comments. Best wishes - Jane
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Jane and David are exceptional hosts who pay great attention to detail and their customer requirements. When told we were having pork for evening meal I mentioned my like of apple sauce Jane went to pick apples from their own tree and we had fresh apple sauce on the table that night. It is a beautiful house and I suggest you try to stay in the main house if you can. Delicious breakfasts. Comfortable drawing room. At the time we stayed wireless internet was patchy due to the thick walls; something Jane was working on.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the main house
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MoresbyHall, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Many thanks for your super comments. We're glad the cottage accommodation suited your needs as a family requiring two bedrooms. The WiFi is usually good in the cottage but is also available free of charge in the bedrooms and reception area in Moresby Hall. Our wonderful espalier apple trees in the walled garden serve us well and our Howgate Beauty variety grows to a massive size and makes scrumptious apple sauce and jam. Perfect with the chops in cider for sure!! We hope to see you next time you are visiting family in the area, best wishes.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've now stayed twice in Moresby Hall, the hotel is in a lovely grade 1 building and with the decor to match. Both rooms I've stayed in, whilst different, have been in keeping with the building and very comfy with nice modern bathrooms.
Service is very relaxed but attentive, it's obviously a family ran place so all you need to do is ask.

The only minor negative is the size of the tv's, one of the rooms I've stayed in had a huge footprint but a 21" TV on a opposite wall. It's not a hotel you should come to to watch TV, but worth noting if you do like one.

I visited on business, they don't formally do food during the week but will if you ask beforehand, it's that sort of place. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MoresbyHall, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Many thanks for the positive review. Comments noted about the size of the TV but as there is also a colour TV in the en-suite bathroom with the Jacuzzi Bath we decided to keep the emphasis on the room decor and not detract from the sumptuous 7' x 7' four poster bed. Mon - Thur we can offer dinner by prior arrangement as not everyone wishes to dine. We have a limited number of bedrooms and there are some nights when guests would prefer to dine out locally and visit Whitehaven for the evening. We love to cook for our guests and there is also a fine dining menu available online for Fridays / Saturdays but it is essential to prebook / pre order in advance. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Jane
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A friend and I stayed for one night - Jane & David Saxon couldn't have been more helpful from recommending inn for Sunday evening supper to providing space for us to change having booked out. Fabulous shower, very comfortable bed and room, delicious breakfast and beautiful gardens - thank you.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Its very good of you to take the trouble to post a fantastic review, as I know you were visiting, sadly, to attend a funeral locally. Perhaps we will see you again in the future when you are next in the area, and you will have time to enjoy the relaxing ambience at Moresby Hall. Best wishes - Jane
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed June 28, 2012

From the moment we walked through the front door, we knew this was a very special place. After a long flight from the US, Jane made us feel so welcome. Our room (Egremount) was immaculate and the modern shower amazing.. Moresby wasn't just a place to stay for ten nights, it became home thanks to the many acts of kindness by Jane and David. Breakfasts and dinner were delicious. We have traveled to many countries but this is the best hotel experience we have ever had.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Moresby Hall, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
What a great review, we are delighted you felt so much at home and I know David especially was glad to help with some of the queries prior to you moving into premises here. It's a big upheaval to move to a new country on business so we were happy to help in any small way. Hope to see you both in the future. Jane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moresby
Ennerdale Country House Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
Washington Central Hotel
#4 of 9 in Workington
The Corner House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Moresby Hall? Share your experiences!