“Sunday lunch”

Golden Lion Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Maryport
Cuisines: British, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Family run business with fantastic staff, fantastic meals and a great choice with something to suit everyone.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I came to Maryport for the Harbour Festival earlier this year and tried this hotel for a Sunday lunch. I was eating on my own but it didn't feel too uncomfortable so the hotel scores points for this. Service was very timely considering it was busy. The roast beef was excellent, with lovely tasty gravy, obviously home made Yorkshire puddings and a great carrot mash. There was a family on the next table who kept saying how good it was, apart from there being "too much" salad! They seemed to be regulars, and the restaurant was full. I couldn't manage a pudding but did have a cappuccino. Will be back.

• Visited April 2013

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“Stay away”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We attended a function here and were served stale dry sandwiches and about half a dozen chips each and a hot drink. I couldn't believe what they were charging for this awful food.

It is a shame that the food was so bad because it is a great venue with friendly staff. We were going to book a large family birthday party here but because of the food we are now going elsewhere.

Pull your socks up Golden Lion, I know there isn't much competition in Maryport but you could do so much better!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Margaret D
Cumbria UK
“Dont order the scallops”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Im from Maryport and come from a family who've always had trawlers, so I know my seafood. And these scallops were terrible.

We waited a ridiculously long time to be served considering we were the only table in there and when it arrived I was very disappointed. £7 for 3 very tatty looking small scallops & 3 small pieces of black pudding.

As I've never eaten anything else there I can comment, but I'd strongly suggest that they take this off the menu as its appalling value for money & not worthy to be served to my cat!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank KelCumbriaUK
Maryport, United Kingdom
“nice but expensive”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

only eaten here once because of the prices but I have to say the food was lovely.had a mixed grill and was loads on my plate and the wife enjoyed her meal as well.id love to go more often but due to the prices itll only be special occasions when I go.

• Visited July 2012
“Could be better.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have visited the Golden Lion a few times now since it was reopened. I have yet to be wowed.
The surroundings are beautiful in the lovely town of Maryport, and the views are fantastic.
The decour is to a high quality and by the looks of it no expense was spared. However I have yet to recieve the quality of service that matches. The first time my family and I visited we sat in the bar area and ordered bar food. My partener ordered a mixed grill and his meal came on 3 different plates because items were missing or werent cooked correctly. Another time I went with his parents and our food took hours (literally) to arrive. There was only one other table occupied. Our party was only 4 adults and 2 children. When we eventually got our food it was cold and the steaks were tasteless. When my father in law was asked how his meal was he mentioned he wasnt happy but the waitress ignored his comment and walked off. This same visit we ordered some deserts... at a risk of waiting yet again... and my young son had previously enjoyed a chocolate pot with a shortbread biscuit, so he ordered it again. My son was 8 at the time. When he finally got it he tried eating it and kept playing with it. When I asked what was up he said it tasted funny. I tried it myself and it was swimming in rum. I was extremely annoyed that the waiter had taken this order from my son and not mentioned it contained alcohol. We were not impressed. The last time I went I went with my family so there were a good number of us, one of the waiters was fantastic and kept making sure we were happy. The food was better but we still had to wait a while for it, so we decided against having deserts. I would go back because I am hoping that it will get better, but like I said I am still waiting. This is a beautiful hotel that has a room for wedding functions etc.... just a shame that the waiting on staff let it down slightly. On a plus note they are all polite... just maybe need a bit more motivation.

Visited January 2013