“Lovely location”
Review of Golden Lion

Golden Lion
Ranked #1 of 6 Maryport B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Fantastic spot on Maryport harbour with loads of walks on the doorstep. Had the best cooked breakfast I have ever had with really tasty Cumbrian sausages and thick bacon. The staff are friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend Maryport for a holiday and the hotel as a base.

Room Tip: My room which was No8 could do with a blackout blind to block street lights.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GL-Management, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thanks for your lovely review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We have taken on board your comments regarding the street lights and will be addressing this issue, thanks for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you again soon.

John

Maanager

Reviewed March 13, 2014

After seeing Julie hesmondhalgh at ewanrigg community centre in the black roses play ,which was excellent ,three of us went for supper at the golden lion .the food was gorgeous ,fresh ,hot ,and plentiful ,we all had something different and we're not disappointed ,will definitely be returning .

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Golden L, Manager at Golden Lion, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. We have a fantastic new menu starting in April with lots of new dishes for you to try.

John Dunlop
Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I attended a party held at the Golden Lion Hotel recently and feel I must write a favourable review.  Philip and his staff  adopt a very professional yet friendly  approach to ensure all is as requested. Nothing is too much trouble to any of them.  The table was tastefully and beautifully decorated, the food simply wonderful and the service exemplary. All the guests were delighted and many who hadn't eaten here before have promised to return.
I HAVE eaten here many times and have NEVER been disappointed.
Many thanks to Philip and his Staff for a fabulous night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pandora219
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Excellent accommodation, welcome, service and food for the cost. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends.
Location in the town is ideal looking over the sea front with shops,pubs and restaurants all on the doorstep.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2013

~ I'd reached the awful age of 65 (nightmare!) and decided to have a special family get together and meal. Friends had recommended the Golden Lion, Maryport, so on their advice I decided to book their restaurant for my special evening, Saturday 26th October 2013. My eldest son, and sister Mary (plus husband) travelled up from Preston/Bath and booked in for the night. It was their (sister Mary) very first stay in Maryport. The evening was so brilliant. The Hotel was immaculate and the staff extremely friendly and welcoming .. I was delighted how everything went. Everyone had a great time, and the staff gave us as much time as we wanted .. As a result, several of my friends and relatives vow to return. I'm going to go there more often for meals, etc .. Someone ordered a starter for two, at £9.99p. I defy anyone to eat a normal full meal after this .. It looked so delicious. Can I recommend The Golden Lion for the quality of service, cooking and a place to stay? Absolutely.. I promise you will NOT be disappointed. I'll attach some of my photos of the evening, and one I took earlier in the year when trying to decide on a venue for my special do .. Oh .. One of my guests told me that they had researched the history of The Golden Lion, and had discovered that Charles Dickens and George Stephenson (the Stephenson's Rocket Steam train inventor) had both stopped there in the past .. Fancy that!

Room Tip: ~ If possible, ask for a room with Westward views over the wonderful harbour side. You can watch the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jan f
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here for a short break and will return . The staff were all excellent and friendly. Our room was spotless , modern and comfortable with harbour views. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the food but I have to say the chips were poor. Breakfast was one of the best cooked breakfasts I have ever had. Everything was hot and freshly cooked. Well done to all at The Golden Lion.

Room Tip: Harbour view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Phil has done a marvellous job of refurbishing the Golden Lion Hotel, which I remember from holding a teenage party there in the early 1950s. Very comfortable room and good food plus nice view of the harbour from the table in the corner of the dining room, which I'm afraid we monopolised. All I would request is a grab rail in the shower as I am getting on in years and not very steady.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Henstingnizzle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryport
Melbreak Country House Hotel
Broughton Craggs Hotel
Broughton Craggs Hotel
#6 of 9 in Cockermouth
Golf Hotel
Golf Hotel
#1 of 1 in Silloth
Rafferty's Bistro Bed and Breakfast

Been to Golden Lion? Share your experiences!