“What a great way to spend a Saturday evening”

Broadoaks Country House
Ranked #1 of 4 Troutbeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Booked last minute direct with the hotel for Saturday 16th Feb, got a great deal for dinner bed and breakfast. Our room was Maple, adequate and clean. Lovely bathroom. When you book, I would recommend you book your table for dinner. We like to eat later, but the only slots available were back of 7. I did say we would rather eat later and this was not a problem. We sat in the hallway and polished off a lovely bottle of red malbec, in front of a wood burning stove. Open fires in the bar and piano room made the hotel extremely cosy. The food was great as usual, myself opting for the lamb and my partner beef, incidentally, these 2 dishes had a supplement of £3.95 and £5.95 respectively. I dont understand why really?
We had a great sleep, the bed was really comfortable. We were first up for breakfast and what a great choice. Overall, a lovely hotel. The staff do a great job of welcoming you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Groupon offer and it was lovely! We were allowed to check in an hour early toi.

We had a cream tea on arrival. The only grumble we had with the whole stay was that the scones were a bit dry but it was a very minor point.

We stayed in the Riverhaven lodge within the grounds of the hotel. Wow! A double jacuzzi bath with coloured lights under the water. You can open the double doors to the cabin while you're sat in it and look out over stunning scenery or watch TV on the special built in tv unit. The bed was comfy andthe cabin had an ipod dock/radio, tv/dvd player and a day bed with a full length window overlooking the beck. The lodges have their own private car parking space too and a private patio seating area which is not overlooked at all.

The staff were brilliant and the food was delicious,beautifully presented and good sized portions.

We don't have a dog but the hotel is doggy friendly. They are allowed everywhere apart from the dining room.you can get breakfast in your room too if you dont want to leave your dog.

We had dinner, bed and breakfast but there are quite a lot of interesting looking little bistros in Windemere itself if you fancy something else.

All in all a lovely place & we'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in The Boudoir for my partner's birthday. We were blown away by how wonderful the room was and found a birthday card and chilled bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived. We had our fire lit ready for our return from Ambleside and the food was delicious. We woke up to a blanket of snow and found that the steps to the room had been salted for us and the view was stunning. We booked direct with the hotel and did receive a much better deal than using other websites so I would recommend you either ring or email for a fantastic deal. The whole experience was amazing and I am looking forward to returning in the near future. Many thanks for making it a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Ring the hotel directly to get the best rates. The Boudoir was amazing but we had a look at the othe...
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Sorry for delay in review! I booked for a Christmas present for my hubby on the Groupon deal and we stayed at the end of December. I have to say I thought the hotel, food and staff were all excellent and we were made very welcome. The only criticism I had was that we upgraded to the Rippledean garden suite (which is small, for example there is no dining area inside for beaky not very luxurious really), I had to complain to the duty officer about the appalling noise you experience in these garden suites from the rain and she refunded the upgrade cost only. They did say that the website does inform guests of the noise, it does not and they said that that would be rectified and they have not yet. They have informed me that they are looking at putting grass on the roof on the garden suite, which sounds great if it is possible. To summarise I wish we had stayed in the hotel .

Room Tip: As it rains a lot in Windermere (or England come to that) I would not stay in the garden suites if y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A beautiful hotel combining traditional country house character with stylish modernity, this is definitely recommended. All the staff were very helpful and friendly, and the qualtiy of the food at dinner was excellent. Accommodation was a new england style log cabin set away from the main building on the edge of a wooded valley. It was beautifully furninshed and well equipped with a great big spa bath. Bed was a tempur matress, which might not be for everyone. If you're lucky enough to get a groupon deal too, it will be an absolute bargain!

Room Tip: We were in Rippledean, and it was absolutely lovely
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife & I stayed here for two nights as friends were using the hotel as the venue for their wedding in January.
From the moment we arrived the staff were welcoming & friendly & it was like walking into a friends country house (Not that any of my chums have a place like this). Staff were knowledgeable about the local area & attractions, wanting you to make the most of your time in this part of England.

The room was lovely with one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in with crisp linen. The bathroom was clean & spacious with plenty of Duck Island shampoo, shower gel & body lotion
Breakfast was freshly cooked and plentiful.
A great hotel & would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Broadoaks will always be a special place for us because we got married there. It's always a pleasure to go back there and every time we do we find it somehow just gets a little better every time.

This time we stayed in one of the new garden suites and what a treat that was. With fantastic views and the therapeutic sound of the fast running beck in the grounds, it was a totally indulgent and relaxing break.

It was lovely to find a little handwritten card in the room welcoming us back to Broadoaks. The staff is genuinely lovely and very engaging. Without any kind of scripting or forced approach, they all helped to make our stay very easy, relaxing and great fun.

It was very cold during our stay as there had been quite a serious snowfall just a few days before, so we really enjoyed the cosy music room and its roaring fire. Of course, we had to sample the warm apple strudel cocktail on offer in the bar and altogether it made just a perfect winter retreat.

There are many fine places to dine nearby although I always find it difficult to tear myself away from Broadoaks' own fine restaurant. Once again, the dinner we had in the Oak Room was delightful. All fresh, locally sourced produced and wonderfully prepared. The restaurant at Broadoaks is a destination in itself.

At the recommendation of the hotel owner, we tried Lucy's on a plate in Ambleside and we were not disappointed. A warm welcome and super food so definitely worth a try if you happen to be over that way.

During our stay we felt that the whole team was just there to make sure we had a great time. They are attentive but not intrusive. Every member of the team shows real personality and genuine interest. They look like they really enjoy being there and it certainly comes across in the atmosphere they create.

I am already planning my next trip to Broadoaks and I can't wait!

Room Tip: Check out all the fantastic double spa baths in the garden suites. Each room has something special...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutbeck
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Inn on the Lake
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Broadoaks Country House? Share your experiences!