“Love this place”
Review of The Mortal Man

The Mortal Man
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Troutbeck
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Love this place”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We normally stay here when visiting the lakes but as it was just a day trip we had to stop at the mortal man for lunch! It is soo cosy with lots of open fires. The food was delicious I had the turkey dinner hubby had the lamb and kids fish chips and beans. Nothing was left, cannot wait for our next trip, it will defo be a stopover

• Visited November 2013

Manchester
“A Great welcome”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Took our two dogs in and got a really friendly welcome with biscuits. A great choice on the menu and really friendly staff. We will visit again next time we are in the Lakes.

Visited October 2013
Wirral
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We did pre book, the car park is small, narrow lanes to reach here and it was quite busy even at 6.30, so would recommend the pre book.

Nice welcome, good service, lovely food. I had the Smoked haddock chowder and it was so nice, plenty of haddock, good portion. Others in group had different meals and they all enjoyed them as well as the desserts.

Would definitely eat there again.

• Visited October 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location, hopelessly dire food.”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My partner and I came for Saturday lunch on the rebound from a failed attempt at finding The Queen's Head, which ironically is a stone's throw away. Oh, how I wish we'd looked just that little bit harder.

Anyway, we headed here instead and I wish we hadn't. The bar man was mildly welcoming while chewing a sweet but informed me that I couldn't set up a tab if I was eating outside. A bit untrusting I thought.

Anyway, I selected what we wanted from the lightly sticky laminated menus and we sat outside to wait.

Service was quite prompt but the steak and ale pies, which looked like a batch job with a very uninspiring pastry top, were served with over cooked fries and frozen peas. I mean, come on guys. This is 2013 and you wanted £11.50 for a meal that had 'frozen convenience' written all over it. Really, the audacity of even trying to put it in front of guests.

In a gastro pub age of chunky hand cut chips and fresh seasonal veg, this meal took me back to the 'pub grub' days of the 1970s when pubs begrudgingly served apologetic food alongside decent beer. In case you haven't noticed guys, times have changed. Just watch Saturday Morning Kitchen, Masterchef, The Hotel Inspector even - you'll soon see how you are so off kilter with the current food zeitgeist.

I didn't stay at this hotel overnight, but lunch was more than enough. This hotel has a stunning location and amazing back garden, and does serve some decent beers. But a food destination it ain't.

Which is a shame. Troutbeck deserves two fine gastro pubs, not one. This is a world class location for tourism and with a venue like this the place should be trying harder on the food front.

There are some quick wins to be had here. Non laminated menus, slightly more charming staff, a reworking of the menu to make it more in tune with modern diners, and the removal of their hideous sticky looking cocktail bar.

There are some quick wins to be had here. Non laminated menus, slightly more charming staff, a reworking of the menu to make it more in tune with modern diners' aspirations in a location like this, and the removal of their hideous sticky looking cocktail bar.

Next time - The Queen's Head it is.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Tom62Lancs
Hawkshead, United Kingdom
“Beer rip off”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

£3:40 for a pint of beer, local or not it is a rip off. Same beer in Ambleside £2:50. Exploiting anyone who is attracted to a CAMRA Pub. Situation very attractive, and lures you to it. Views excellent. should be enticing.