“Standard”
Review of YHA Patterdale

YHA Patterdale
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have stayed at most at Youth Hostels in the Lake District and hadnt stayed at Patterdale for years so was excited to here about the changes.

On arrival there was zero parking was crazy due to lots of 4 x 4 parked badly taking up two spaces. Had to wait for the wardens to finish snogging before I got booked in which added to my mad mood af ther car park farce. Couldnt really see the revamp people had talked about in the room all the pipe work covers were off which didnt seem to safe. Bed were comfy with clean bedding.

Evening meal was good members kitchen was good but lots of dishes left unwashed but thats down to lazy people staying there.

The toilet facilities were very good and the hostel was clean and neat.

But its in a brilliant location and after a long day in the hills all you want is a hot shower and a good meal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ceri25
Robin_Whitwham, Manager at YHA Patterdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Love is a beautiful thing to behold but perhaps not when you're wanting to pick up your room key! I shall have a word regarding curtailing passionate moments in reception during work time.

I may have some good news regarding parking – I’m looking into extending the car parking area by 4 to 6 cars, which should help some. I may also see about marking out the parking spaces so that certain people don’t park all crazily.

I’m quite heartened that you found the hostel warm, clean, comfortable and with good food.

The renovations have taken place in the bathrooms and reception rather than the rooms but improving them are next on the list.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

YHA Patterdale is not located directly on the Coast-to-Coast footpath but still very easy to find simply by following the road south from town. It was almost dark when I got here after walking from Borrowdale, but the staff was very helpful and still managed to prepare a delicious 3-course dinner for me at short notice.

The dorm I stayed in had a lot of empty floor space, very convenient for unpacking and rearranging my belongings. The drying room, while not as fancy as the one in Borrowdale, was still more than adequate to serve my cleaning needs.

The only slight drawback was that due to the layout of the building, there was a bit of a draught in the main hallway that made it quite chilly. Perhaps this could have been mitigated somewhat by closing certain doors or windows.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TrapDivisor

It's always a delight to read a positive review! I'm very glad that you had such a positive stay and I hope you come back to us one day.

Funny you should mention the draught problem but I sorted that out recently - I've put a door-closer on the front door to stop it getting so chilly.

Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Arrived here after getting lost on the dale but even that couldn't put a shine on the place! The room is painted battleship grey & the Eco friendly light puts out such little wattage it was depressing. The bunk beds seem to have been custom made by someone who had seen one once many years ago & made it from memory! The ladder to the top bunk had rungs made from what resembled old pipe & were very difficult to climb up & when you got to the top the space to climb through was too narrow making it almost impossible to squeeze through.
I would only recommend as a last resort.

• Stayed: August 2012
Robin_Whitwham, Manager at YHA Patterdale, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I am always happy to admit to our failings and I aim to improve things based on comments from our customers but your comment here are most puzzling.

First of all there is not a room in the building that is painted "Battleship Grey". There are several rooms that are unpainted and the bricks are grey. Some of these have been painted to brighten up the rooms (they do need it, to be fair) and the rest will be done as and when we have the time; by the end of the year we will have them all painted.

Secondly the environmentally-friendly lights do take a few minutes to warm up to full capacity but after that the rooms are well-lit.

I'd like to reassure Trip Advisor readers about our bunks: They are purpose built and built into the walls i.e. completely solid with no creaking. The metal rungs that make up the ladder are also built like this. The gap between the top bunk and the ceiling is 3ft (I've measured this), more than enough for an able-bodied person to climb into. If you had any mobility problems and a bottom bunk was not available then a member of staff would have sorted you out with a different room.

Many, many people compliment us on the bunks.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here as family of four of C2C walk. We were given a room for 8 as the hostel was not busy. The room was very well appointed with good storage spaces. The staff were very friendly and gave me a refund as I had booked and paid early and the food was on special offer during August.

2  Thank AnnieMarc911

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're rightly proud of our raport with our customers here and I'm happy that this did not go unnoticed. I'm hoping that we may see you back here at some point in the future; we're constantly improving the place as best we can and you can be assured of a warm welcome once more.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Having had a good experience at YHA Coniston we were looking forward to our stay in Patterdale. Prior to our visit I had emailed the hostel a couple of times and had very friendly responses to my questions.

Patterdale is not near the lake but is set in lovely countryside with a shop at Glenridding selling supplies.

On arrival there was plenty of parking and a nice laid back air to the hostel. It was light and airy and my husband was surprised to be back in the room he had shared on a bachelor hike, 20 odd years ago. The beds were ready to be made up and the windows left open which was appreciated on a hot July day. Unfortunately the cot that I had emailed to request was not in the room. However we did find one folded up further down the hallway which we used. The toilets at the end of the corridor were very clean and airy.

We were able to order meals on arrival even though it was gone 6pm, including a mini portion of an adult meal on the Kids eat free menu. We were rather disappointed with our food in comparison to YHA Coniston. Though perfectly edible and reasonable value they did not feel very fresh and the portions were smaller. Everything seemed as though it might have been reheated. The staff were very friendly however and there was table service.

Having seen there was a bar advertised we ordered a couple of bottles of ale, unfortunately it was very warm when it arrived. Breakfast also seemed to have been done rather on the cheap which was a shame.

Patterdale is a lovely building which could provide a very relaxed and comfortable stay, unfortunately it really needs a revamp. Drinks need to be chilled, the weeds around the hostel need to be culled so that you can appreciate the view and a bit more care and attention needs to be given to everything from meals to mattresses. (The mattress was so thin I couldnt actually sleep).

The toilet facilities were very good and the hostel was clean and neat. The staff were friendly and the self catering kitchen seemed clean although I only used it for washing up.

It does give the impression of being rather tired and worn out. If some of these changes were made however we would happily book our family in.

1  Thank alicemiracelchick

I'm happy you found the staff welcoming and the stay reasonable. Your largely positive comments are always good to hear and I appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

You had some concerns over your stay which I am happy to address. We did have some old, thin matresses during the time of your stay but I'm happy to tell you that these have since been replaced with new ones; should you come back I'm hoping that will contribute to a good night's sleep!

Fair comment on the weeds - I brought in a volunteer gardener from mid-July to tidy things up but I still need to cut back some of the growth from in front of some of the bedrooms. This will be sorted soon I promise.

Our booking system does not have the facility to remid us about cots needed and we don't always spot the small notes we make on the reservation. For this I'm sorry; if we miss anything out just come and ask!

You should have been offered a beer from either the shelf or the fridge - we keep both behind the bar depending on preference. I appologise for this oversight. On a plus point we will have beer on cask soon.

I'm sorry you didn't find the meals and the breakfast up to standard. I can assure you that the majority of our dishes are homemade. If you find anything amiss with your dinner next time you stay please bring it to our attention. I'm happy for you to e-mail me regarding what it was you were dissapointed with regarding breakfast and how you feel we should be doing things better.

I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Four nights and three days walking - starting and finishing in Patterdale. The car remaining in the carpark for the duration.
Youth Hostel was clean, staff were friendly and breakfasts/evening meals were excellent. Beer bought in the hostel was cheaper than both the Patterdale Hotel and White Lion Inn.
First route - Helvellyn by Striding Edge and back by Swirral Edge, adding on Catstye Cam.
Second route - St Sunday Crag, Gavel Pike and Birks.
Third route - Boredale Hause, Place Fell and along the lakeside to Howtown for the ferry back.
Fourth route - Boredale Hause, Angle Tarn Pikes, Rest Dod, The Knock, High Street, Ramsgill Head, High Raise, Fusedale Beck to Howtown for the ferry to Glenridding. Magic

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay here! We pride ourselves on our friendliness and approachfullness.

I hope you come back and see us sometime - we're looking into getting beer on tap in the near future and we're contantly making improvements. Perhaps you'll even get a few days of good weather this time!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

i can't believe i'm reading reviews about the same hostel! i agree the place needs refurbishing but when is it due, other reviews talk about it in 2011? august 2012 and our room was i imagine worse than a cell block. it was seriously damp and mouldy, the furnishings and flooring were filthy. Laundry was piled up over the baskets in reception, we just added to the same pile the next day. What is with the weedy field growing all over the flat roof? the damp patches inside spread to about 18" across the ceilings. We had been warned by others travelling that it wasn't good. as a stop over, 1 night, we just got on with it. when we go back next year for the 2nd stage of our C2C walk we definately won't be staying there again. A real shame because all the other hostels we've stayed in (some quirky but all with their own plus points) have been great.

Room Tip: Refuse a room in the flat roof extension block