“Excellent B&B”

Hill Crest Country Guest House
Ranked #1 of 4 Newby Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This B&B is modern, clean and extremely comfortable. Jane is a fantastic hostess and breakfast was delicious. This B&B beats any 5* hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuzieWardy
There are newer reviews for Hill Crest Country Guest House

Reviewed August 22, 2011

we absoultely loved the guest house, land lady Jane was so kind and thoughtful, excellent service, definitly would visit again, thanks alot

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We originally wanted to stay 2 nights but the family room was booked so we managed to get it for one night and jiggled our plans for the 2 days. As my hubby was on nightshift I came with my son and the grandparents. My mam is very picky and always finds faults so I was very nervous that I would fail in finding a guesthouse to her standards. On arrival we were greeted by Jane who said she had prepared our room early as she knew we were coming early to go on the steam train. She even offered to drive us to the station, but there would not have been enough time. She offered us tea, coffee and scones in the conservatory before we set off for the next train. The views from the house are outstanding.
The family room was perfect - 2 adjoining rooms. The rooms were spotless, carefully planned and decorated. The bathroom was magnificent and my mam loves the led mirror.
The breakfast was something else. On the phone I told Jane that we are not big breakfast eaters (if my hubby had been there he would have made up for it), however, there was so much selection that we made pigs of ourselves. I have never seen so much variety and choice for a breakfast - hotels do not offer this much.
Even when we knew it was checking out time we were not hurried or pushed, but allowed to get ready in our own time.
What I don't understand is why Jane was only the finalist in the Landlady of the Year awards and not the winner. Did the winner make wine from water or something?
I WILL be recommending this guesthouse to all and sundry. You rarely like to recommend something after one visit but I have no doubt that anyone visiting Hillcrest on my recommendation will have the same fabulous experience that I had.
To quote Arnie "I'll be back".

And my mam.... well she is already planning her next visit and has said that whenever she visits the Lakes this is the only place she will stay in as she cannot see any other place coming close to Hillcrest. She loves it so much she is even going to get on a pc to put in her own comments.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here on 10/11th June 2011 as a friend was getting married at the Netherwood Hotel in Grange over Sands.

BOOKING
Our booking was for (taken from the confirmation email): 'Scenic view, Four poster bed, Non-smoking room, En suite room' and we were quoted £152 total for the 2 nights. However Jane contacted us the next day via email to say that the price was incorrect and that it should be £164 for the 2 nights.

ROOM
Our room was beautiful. I had read up on the B&B prior to booking and couldnt help but be suspicious of all the wonderful, glowing reviews (from people who had only ever done 1 review), but I can assure you, theyre all correct. The room was just like on the photos (see my photos attached). The B&B itself was immaculate- beautiful everywhere. The doors, the skirting boards- everything! I know it sounds daft, but I was in awe of how new, clean and high standard everything was.

LOCATION
The location is good or not-so-good depending on what you require. It is set in really beautiful countryside and the small surrounding garden is just beautiful- you can see how much hard work Jane does to maintain it.
It is a 5 minute walk away from the Whitewater Hotel which has a fantastic restaurant overlooking the river. We went there on the Friday night before the wedding and it wasnt cheap, but very romantic and great food. And there was another pub-restaurant within walking distance that Jane told us about but we didnt have time to go there.
The only problem for us was the distance from the wedding venue (which is the only reason why I am giving Hillcrest 4*, not 5*) although this is really our fault as we should have chosen somewhere closer to the venue. It was a fair drive to Grange-Over-Sands (not massive, but in the region of 8 miles). I can't remember exactly, but the taxi back to the B&B after the wedding on Saturday night came to about £30. In hindsight, we would have been best staying in Grange (for convenience), but talking to friends at the wedding, their accommodations were nowhere near as nice as ours.

FOOD
Breakfast was served in the conservatory and was very filling with a good selection. Self-serve cereals and fruit were followed by a full cooked breakfast brought to your table. The only recommendation I would make would be to offer vegetarian sausages for the non-meat eaters (although I could still have the rest of the cooked breakfast so I didnt go hungry!).

SUMMARY
Overall a beautiful place to stay with a genuine, warm, chatty and friendly host Jane. We hadnt stayed in a B&B before (in some ways preferring the anonimity and independence of hotels) and so didnt know what to expect, but Jane put us at ease and I can see why all her reviews are so complimentary- she deserves it!
We most probably would stay there again for a weekend, but not for longer- I must admit we were sensitive about not making noise as we were coming and going, something you dont particularly have to think about in large scale hotels. However, that is a personal preference and not a reflection of the B&B.

Room Tip: The 4 poster room was large and worth the extra money for a romantic weekend.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We were treated as VVIP. We all enjoyed a lot specially the breakfast and Jane was very helping and a lovely person. We will definitely go back whenever possible.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Had a close family funeral so needed accommodation for us, plus grown up son and partner, and daughter. Jane accommodated all of us and what's more allowed us to hang around in the conservatory on the morning of the afternoon funeral to chill out. Just the right mix of friendly interest and respect of our need to be private at this time.

Offers of cups of tea and scones on arrival very welcome.

Bedrooms all recently refurbished, immaculate shower rooms.

Thank you - and good luck with the wedding in August!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The family room for me, my wife and our 2 youngs daughters was of a very high quality, clean and ideal for our needs. Jane was a superb hostess throughout and the breakfast room and food was excellent. We'll definitely be coming back.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hill Crest Country Guest House? Share your experiences!