“Good food, but expensive for what it is. They cannot make coffee.”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cumbria
“Good food, but expensive for what it is. They cannot make coffee.”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were a group of friends who met for a light lunch. There were plenty of tables available. There is no waitress service for orders, you have to go to the bar and order and pay for your meals before they are served. The food arrived, well presented and it tasted very good. However for what it was it was expensive. We then had to go back to the bar and order and pay for coffees. When these arrived they were dreadful; one person ordered capaccino coffee and it was no more than instant coffee with hot milk. So good food, though on the expensive side, but save your money and avoid coffee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Preston, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We took our daughter, son in law and grandson here for Sunday lunch and weren't disappointed. It was very busy but a waitress managed to find us a table and apologised if we felt crammed in which we weren't and the table was absolutely fine. Three of us had the Sunday roast beef which was delicious, the meat and veg were cooked to perfection. My son in law had the spicy chicken and chips which he said were the best he'd ever tasted! The kids menus was varied too. Service was efficient given the amount of people there. Lovely place and setting, will definitely be going back.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very poor quality, considering the price”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We were staying in the area and came here for a pub meal. When we arrived it was really busy, just about got a table, so we thought this was a good sign.
The staff were great and the bar had a great atmosphere, now for the food review.
We had an antipasti platter for starter - this was great
For main we both had the BBQ beef rib with spicy chips - this was one big beef rib, and the meat tasted and felt like it had been boiled, really horrible. There was very little BBQ flavour, so I asked if I could have some BBQ sauce to go with it, to try to give it some good taste - I was told I'd have to pay extra for some sauce!!! The spicy chips were served in a bowl - just normal chips with a sprinkling of spicy seasoning. The ones below were plain - and they weren't great chips.
For dessert we shared a Baked Alaska - this was horrible. I think they missed the key part of the title - BAKED!! This was a strange, really dense flapjack with some ice-cream, all covered in meringue mix. This was the worst bit - the meringue mix had been piped on, and then blow-torched on the outside to brown it, but it was completely raw, not cooked in any way!!! Disgusting, it was just like eating a bowl of raw egg white whipped with sugar, you could even feel the grit of the sugar. Not the lovely mallow with a crisp outside that I was expecting. I have never seen Baked Alaska on a menu before and I was really excited to try it and see how good a job the chefs did of exceuting it, i.e. if they managed to keep the ice-cream cold inside. Well they didn't even bother trying to cook it, just served up a bowl of raw meringue mix. Yuck!
Wouldn't go back unless major changes were made.

1 Thank ChsReviewer
Ulverston, England, United Kingdom
“Great food, service and surroundings for our anniversary meal”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary here with a meal last night. Worried by previous reviews on here, I was pleasantly surprised by the very good service. Our waitress was smiley, friendly and helpful : gave good advice on the wine list and adapted a starter for me without fuss. All the waiting staff were polite, assiduous and friendly. As for the meal : delicious! The salmon fillet was a particular hit with me : beautifully cooked and presented, with the verde salsa a delicious assault to the pallet! My husband opted for the more pedestrian scampi, but it was presented and cooked as anything but and was a very generous portion. Our starters were also very good, and although we couldn't fit in a dessert, they did look amazing and also very generous portions. Our coffees were very good. I have previously enjoyed a latte here, sat outside in the sun by the river, and can recommend it as one of the best I've tasted, as well as looking as good as it tastes. We left after our meal, but looking back we should have taken advantage of the luxurious, plush lounge areas for a post dinner drink. The restaurant was pleasant, fresh and contemporary, yet traditional and cosy. Highly recommended for a special occasion or evening out if you appreciate fine food, wine and nice surroundings.

“Great stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Attended a family wedding here and stayed the night. Hotel is a mixture of modern and traditional and spotlessly clean throughout. The bedroom was smartly decorated and furnished and plenty of room. The wedding meal was excellent so am assuming the restaurant food wood be the same. Very good breakfast with good choices and well cooked. This is not the cheapest of hotels but I suppose if you want a little luxury in a beautiful location then you have to pay for it.