“Gorgeous location, just needs some TLC!”

Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newby Bridge
LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
“Gorgeous location, just needs some TLC!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in September for a Pamper weekend as part of a Hen weekend.
The location is lovely, right on the edge of the Lake District. Booking the rooms was an experience, as I contacted the hotel on 3 different occasions to ensure the room was booked and received 3 different pieces of information! Firstly I was told I was booked into a 4 bedded room, then I was told I was booked into a suite with a double bed and a sofa bed and finally I was told it was a double room! The first time I rang I was told there was no booking at all but when I asked her to check again she found the booking had been made several weeks beforehand.....not a promising start!
The roomitself was quite nice but I was concerned that there were biscuit wrappers under the bed (I only know this as I dropped an earring which went under the bed!) and one of the cups had not been washed! Also the bathroom had some clumps of fluff on the floor and it needed a fresh coat of paint. The beds were comfortable and the hospitality tray was well stocked.
The staff in the Spa were rather unhelpful on the Saturday morning and one was very abrupt! Tea and coffee was on the side in the lounge area with no sign or similar advising whether this was charged for or provided free. We helped ourselves to a hot drink and the older lady was quite aggressive in informing us we needed to pay or add it to our bill....perhaps some sign regarding this would be helpful. In previous hotels with 4 stars the service has been free to hotel guests.
The Spa itself was lovely and the masseuse I saw was chatty and gave a heavenly massage! I would say that this varied from person to person, as a few in our party were given leg massages and others in the party weren't. As we all paid the same I would have thought the treatments were the same!
The staff were very helpful regarding my daughter who does not like massage of any kind. The Spa staff on Reception on Saturday afternoon were incredibly helpful. I had asked the lady there in the morning if my daughter could have a manicure or pedicure rather than a massage and she told me to ask the therapist the following day at the appointment. When I asked again in the afternoon, the young lady was really kind and contacted the staff in the spa to ask whether this was possible and she sorted everything out for us. Very different to the person I spoke to on the Saturday morning!
Dinner on Saturday night was delicious and well presented. The breakfast was fine on the Sunday morning, although some confusion arose when I wanted to order a continental breakfast as one waitress told me to help myself from the buffet table while another said I needed to order it from the waitress!!! Hmmmmm! If these little issues were sorted out it would vastly improve the overall experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have just come back from staying at this hotel. We were a bit worried about going after reading some of the reviews. When we walked into to reception i thought i had come to the wrong place. This hotel is beautiful. Stylish, up to date. Check in was fast and efficient, the room was lovely, clean and had plenty of pillows, towels, shower gels etc, tea coffee and milk. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, they were extremely polite and professional. The food was out of this world, the evening meal was to die for and the breakfast exceptional value for money or as my husband said, too cheap. Would we stay there again, of course, and i would highly recommend it.

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

It is disappointing to have to make this review after my previous one about the Whitewater (in May 2012) had been so positive. Based on that experience we did not hesitate to return when another Groupon offer came up for our stay in mid-October. It is remarkable how things have deteriorated in such a short span of time, which suggests that consistency is not a strong point here.

In the first place we were disappointed with our room, having paid an upgrade to a 'superior' one. Yes, it faced the river; yes, it was spacious (but only on the basis of having an extra single bed we neither asked for nor needed) but the bathroom was small and very ordinary. The two chairs in the room were very uncomfortable, meaning that we spent a minimal amount of time in the room we had paid extra for. In fact, the room was inferior to the standard one we had in May and compares badly when I read of others with jacuzzis etc. Once again, consistency seems to be an issue.

A running sore throughout our stay over two nights was the indifference and couldn't-care-less attitude of so many of the staff (though there are a couple of exceptions to this). Lack of training and a complete disregard of customer needs was prevalent in the reception, in the lounge bar, the Dolly Blue bar and in the restaurant. Most noticeably there appeared to be no-one in charge of the operation at any stage of our stay. This was not the case on the previous stay. At check-out we stood for ten minutes as two ladies were complaining bitterly about the breakfast (see later) but it was clear the receptionist had no interest in the matter whatsoever. It seemed futile to respond to her mechanical enquiry about our own stay.

Service in the restaurant was amateurish and let down the food offering. Despite the constructive comments I had made in the previous post about the limited menu and pricing - and the response on this site from Mr Guzinski, the Operations Manager who promised to review the matter - things had not changed at all. Too many items on a unchanging menu are subject to supplements. Food quality remained good, but the service was woeful.

Worst of all was the breakfast on the last morning. I did not mind being asked to wait for a table, but when we were finally seated it was clear the table had been hurriedly made up with little care as we had to ask successively for napkins, milk, sugar and butter. The buffet was disastrous - half the items were missing. Staff seemed oblivious to the lack of eggs, sausages and tomatoes. The promised replenishments took an age. Once again, no-one discernibly in charge.

And there were other irritations. Why is piped music blasted through every public room at such an intrusive level at every minute of the day? This became particularly annoying in the Dolly Blue bar where we ate on our second night and where the 'music' actually comes from MTV on a large flat screen TV. By 8.30 we were the only people left in the bar, yet the music blared on. I asked for it to be turned down, or better still, off. The response was amazing. The bar person explained that she was not allowed to turn it off as it was required as part of the 'atmosphere'. I gestured at the empty room but I was clearly wasting my time.

And the wifi. Finding it did not work in our room I ventured into the reception, just as I had to do back in April, where I did manage to get a weak and intermittent signal. Whilst there, two other people questioned the functioning of the wifi and I heard the same response - 'we are having some issues with the wifi tonight' - as I heard back in May. The disingenuous attempt to make it seem like a temporary fault when it is clearly not the case, just about sums up the indifference of the whole place.

The Whitewater probably still has enough credit with me to say that, despite all this, I would probably give it another go if another Groupon offer came up. But another experience like this - it will be time to find another base for our regular visits to the Lake District.

Room Tip: If you book a superior room ask beforehand for a detailed description of just what you will get and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisSue5058
Peterborough
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Got a groupon deal for the hotel so it was good value. Hotel is good but let down by very slow staff and lack of energy in the service provided. No one was rude but then no one was friendly either. Had a meal on the first night as part of the deal and that was ok, nothing special. Spa facilities and pool are good though.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My partner and I stayed weekend 2nd/3rd Nov and had a lovely time, the room 102 was facing the river where the whitewater name for the hotel must come from as it was certainly that after all the rain we've had and it was much bigger than we expected as it had a double bed plus a single, the bathroom had a nice sized bath and shower over and the whole room was clean and well laid out plus a nice quility flat screen tv, told there was WiFi in the room but to weak a connection for my lappy so never used it but no biggy. We like most was on a deal so cost worked out ok but i'm not to sure we'd have booked at the normal rate or thought it was justified but at the deal rate was fine, the main meal on the first night was excellent, both our 3 course meals (both different) cooked to perfection so the chef needs a pat on the back for that, bottle of wine was good to but that was extra and as usual overpriced for hotels but not to much it put you off. Second night we ate in the Bar downstairs as we'd been out all Saturday walking around the nearby area which is so nice and using the free admission tickets to the motor musieum was brilliant as there was so much in there to see which was a bonus. All the staff we encountered while on our stay were very friendly and had a smile on their faces and most were young 20yr olds so that's nice nowadays, we wasn't over keen on the bar food although plenty and lot cheaper than the restaurant, it seemed bit dry and wasn't anywhere as good as expected from our main meal the night before but wasn't the worsed thing we've ever tasted. Breakfast's are the highlight for me and i think my partner to when we go to a hotel and this was lovely just that you had to ask for whatever type of eggs you wanted as you entered the restaurant else you'd not find any so second morning we did and as usual ate for England with cereals, toast and full english even though cereal is all we normally eat. So if asked if we'd go back again to this hotel we'd have no problem and if an offer is available if we were to go back to that part of the lakes i think we'd jump at it.

Room Tip: Nice if you can get a river facing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sugalips
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend spent the last few nights on a groupon deal. I rarely entertain this site but felt our stay was excellent and worthy of letting others know.
Great service from friendly and attentive staff. We ate in the restaurant on the first night, superb food and service.
The second day we jumped on the local bus into ulverston and enjoyed a few drinks in the local bars before heading back. 15 minute journey and very reasonable however the £20 taxi fair home at tea time was a little excessive therefore head home by bus if you do the same.
Over all lovely hotel, great staff, great food and highly recommended.
Thanks.
Paul and Jen

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We bought a groupon voucher which made the stay extremely good value. On arrival we were greeted by Dee who was brilliant, very friendly and helpful. We found all the staff excellent and attentive.

In the deal the first nights meal was included, it was fantastic which resulted in us eating in the hotel a second night.

The leisure facilities were good.

All in all an excellent good value stay, highly recommended.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newby Bridge
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!