Lakeside Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel(Newby Bridge)
$99
$96
  • Breakfast included
Swan Hotel & Spa(Newby Bridge)
$175
$269
Hampsfell House Hotel(Grange-over-Sands)
$96
1,410 results
All reviewslake viewjohn ruskinafternoon teamain restaurantan aquariumfine diningtraditional hotellake districtper headnothing is too much troublesandwichesstunning locationspecial occasionlovely hotelhotel facilitiestop classsteam train
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had a fabulous 4 night stay. We were upgraded to a room with an enclosed garden which was wonderful for my 20 month old daughter to run around in, We could also see the lake which was so beautiful even when it rained.
The staff where very helpful and friendly nothing was to much for them, The pool area and spa was excellent, My wife had a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We have stayed at the Lakeside Hotel 6 times and are constantly amazed at the quality of service we receive at the Hotel - this is a traditional and high service focused hotel, offering everything you could ask for, for a short break. We have always stayed at the hotel as a couple, and I would say for a romantic get away, you cannot beat it - although there have been children there who have really seemed to enjoy themselves.

The rooms range in stages of luxury, although all of them are of excellent quality and comfort - we have stayed in courtyard, lakeview and deluxe rooms - my favourite has to be the lakeview, purely for the view.

There is an excellent spa and pool are - only used by hotel guests, which means it is often nice and quiet - jacuzzi, steam room and sauna - great changing facilities and huge towels. We have had a facial, massage and manicure there - yes it is expensive, but a really nice treat.

The food - what can I say - absolutely wonderful - the chocolate melting pudding is to die for. There are two restaurants - the brasserie, which is nice and informal or the more formal, lakeview restaurant - we have had the brasserie and fine dining menu, which were excellent - although it is hard to beat one of the Lakeside's grazing buffets if you ever get the chance to sample one!

Whilst the facilities and surroundings (right on the lake with amazing views) it really is the staff at this Hotel which makes it a 5 star in my book - they provide a highly attentive service, but without being intrusive, and seem to know exactly when you need something.

This hotel is highly recommended by us. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

we too, were in room 56. which offers the most amazing views, the decor IS dated and the bathroom could use some TLC ( and instructions on how to operate the jacuzzi) but the ambience of the hotel was breathtaking. A great lad took us around the hotel, showing us where everything was, we were early and our room was not quite ready. We had coffee in the consrevatory while we waited for firends who where collecting us by boat. 2 coffees cost £8. I checked out the lunch-time menu, sandwiches £13. Thirteen pounds! For a sandwich. I am still in shock. Thank goodness we were here as guests of my husbands company. £13 - for a sandwich!
We ate in the fine dining restaurant, it was quite simply the best food I have ever tasted, Graham the waiter was great, not in the least stuffy. The hotel needs to get him training the rather prim waitresses at breakfast in Ruskins.
The temperature controller of the Hotel also needs to address the oppressive heat, especially at breakfast time, I almost passed out in the middle of my eggs benedict.
I had been disappointed to find my morning cuppa in bed had to rely on UHT milk. When paying these sort of prices ( did I mention 13 quid for a sarni??) the least one expects is fresh milk. We stayed 1 night. The total spend was over 600 pounds ( we did drink champagne) - and that was without a sandwich. The bed was sublime.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaznTrevNorthEast
Reviewed October 25, 2009

The Lakeside achieves that rarely achieved mix of personal service, excellent food, beautiful setting, lovely rooms, great pool and an atmosphere that makes you feel completely relaxed from the minute you arrive. The staff here are excellent, with the right balance of great personal service with a friendly, informal approach. Our room was beautiful, with a small patio area and a path direct to the lake shore. The pool area and spa is excellent, and only a few steps from our room. Lovely public areas with real fires to sit and read the papers or enjoy a nightcap. My birthday dinner in the main restaurant was excellent, breakfast was lovely and the brasserie dinner on the second night very good. Very sorry to leave - could have stayed for the week.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed for three nights on one of their special three nights for the price of two. The location is wonderful and the staff are very friendly and attentive but we were disappointed with our room and also the over priced brasserie. We stayed in room 56, which costs over £400 per night for two for bed and breakfast. The room needs completely refurbishing.The view was wonderful but the carpets grubby and the windows dirty. The bathroom wasn't up to standard . Many of the tiles on the floor weren't grouted , some were cracked and the jacussi bath needs replacing. The breakfast was very good but the evening dining options are limited, essentially it's the same menu in the dining room and the brasserie. The brasserie is slightly less expensive, but isn't worth the £33 per person for two courses and coffee. We felt it was a four star menu for 5 star prices .One night we ate at the Swan pub/Hotel at nearby Newby Bridge, which is far better value. The Hotel has much charm and the staff are very good, but at these prices it needs to offer really excellent accomodation and food in order to deliver better value for money.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business