“A First Class B&B”

The Old Homestead at Byresteads
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lorton
The Old Homestead at Byresteads
Ranked #3 of 4 Lorton B&B and Inns
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“A First Class B&B”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at The Old Homestead with a group of friends for the last four years. We always receive a warm welcome from Jayne and Zen. The character accommodation is spacious, warm and clean with excellent en suite facilities. A number of lakeland walks are within easy reach and the venues for the Keswick Jazz Festival are just a pleasant drive away. Breakfasts are always served freshly cooked. Dinner is available at an hotel within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bob_carver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This is a fantastic place to stay. It's in a nice quiet spot with stunning views but within easy reach of Cockermouth and the best of the Lakes. The place is beautifully decorated throughout. The rooms we stayed in were spacious and airy and the beds are tremendously comfortable. The breakfast was perfect - the cooked breakfast was just the right amount with good quality ingredients and there was also an array of cereals, seeds, and fruit juices. The owners, Zen and Jayne, are great - incredibly helpful and welcoming. Each day they'd take the time to offer us suggestions of great walks - we followed their advice and had a really good break.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula_and_Nick
New York
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed here for a night in August. It's a little out of the way from anywhere but truly worth the drive. I believe this was an old farmhouse renovated with great care by the owners. It offers old world charm, with every modern convenience. After soaking in the atmospherics and the authentic feel of the place I didn't expect such an awesome hot shower or such high speed internet, but that's exactly what makes it so great.

Breakfast was excellent - a full English made with quality ingredients. The owners Jayne and Zen were very friendly and gave us good tips on where to walk and where to stop for tea. They directed us to some nice walks nearby around Lake Buttermere and Loweswater, and advised us to stop at Sykes Dairy Farm for ice cream, scones and tea (which was fresh and awesome).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NewYorkTravelbug25
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here over August Bank Holiday for 3 nights and really loved it. The B&B, a converted farm house, is set in a lovely area with stunning views, the house itself is beautifully done and retains many of the original features. We stayed in the Masters room which was the top one with a Four Poster Bed, a lounge with digital TV and DVD player (take DVDs with you if you want to chill in an evening). The bed was sooo comfortable, the best, really, but walls were a little thin, not bad don't get me wrong, but not solid. On occasions we could just about hear people talking next door, but they were cool and it wasn't in the early hours so it didn't effect us to be honest. Bathroom was large and both areas have lots of space, well for us anyway. There is also a large lounge area downstairs for all to use, but we had our own in our room so chilled there after our busy day/s.

Zen and Jayne, well, what can I say., they were so helpful. Don't bother with local maps and information etc because they have enough to get you started, they covered most things for us, not that we're regulars to this area though. We were recommended places to eat, drink, walk and see. They kindly lent us a map for our walk too!

I would say that to get to the quality places to eat in the evening you need to drive to some but can get a taxi from Cockermouth. I was told its a £5 one way but as we drove I can't confirm this. There is a pub a short walk away which I gather sells food too but never visited.

Breakfast was great. I'm a vegetarian so had it all but no meats etc, but they offered to get me some vegi sausages, which I declined as it wasn't really needed, but if you let them know in advance I'm sure they would get bits in for anyone with a different diet, no worries!

Would definitely visit them again. They helped make our time in the Lakes a special and memorable one. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Uncle-Jayo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2009

After a slight detour as a result of our Google map instructions we eventually found the Old Homestead and what a setting. We were made very welcome by the hosts Zen and Jayne.
A vista of the Lake District spreads out from the grounds....great view and very quiet even with the adjacent farm.
The accomadation is a very old barn recently converted, downstairs are the very comfortable lounge and dining room plus some bedrooms. There are lots of period features from teh barn. Our bedroom was upstairs in the eves of the roof. Large airey and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom with shower. Breakfast is all sorts of cereals, plus fruit juice, fruit, tea and coffee....a very good cooked breakfast and lashings of toast.
The lounge has an honesty bar with a good selection and reasonable prices.
We highly recommend the Old Homestead.......hope to back next year.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SussexmeetsYorkshire
London
Reviewed April 14, 2009

The property has been beautifully and sensitively refurbished with the rooms stylish yet comfortable. The owners, Zen and Jayne, are lovely and couldn't be more helpful. Some good places to eat out in the evening nearby (The Kirkstile Inn in particular is consistently excellent).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison2006
Prenton
Reviewed September 9, 2008

This is a lovely B & B - a beautiful conversion of a Cumbrian long house. The rooms are lovely and very clean. The couple who run the B & B are so welcoming and accommodating and the views from it are amazing. I was told breakfast was between 8am and 9am but when I said I needed to be away before then, it wasn't a problem to have breakfast earlier. I will definitely be returning.

• Liked — The quality of the accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HelenWilson

Been to The Old Homestead at Byresteads? Share your experiences!