All reviewsred squirrelsturret roomhomemade shortbreadlake districtextensive groundscountry house hotelcourse dinneroutstanding foodthis wonderful hoteldog friendly hotelpetit foursnothing is too much troubleafternoon tealarge bathroomregular visitorsfresh milklittle extras
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Visited for dinner for a special occasion with family, we all had a wonderful meal, service was attentive without being fussy, food was varied and of good quality, portion sizes were good. Enjoyed every minute of the meal. Have been once before and the food has improved, it was good the previous time, better this time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We loved our room because of it was a turret with plenty of windows. Waking up to the sounds of nature, for example squirrels was lovely. The staff were so nice and at the same time kept a nice distance from us. We wanted to get 'away from it all' and this place was perfect for that.
We went on a 5hr fell walk .We really enjoyed it. The food was excellent.
The dogs (Oscar and Bafta) were gorgeous!
If I have to write something negative it is that last order for dinner was at 8:30pm...just a little bit early (for us!).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bafta1
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Overwater Hall was the best get away weekend my wife and I have ever had. The host were so pleasant, attentive and accommodating and the hotel and setting so lovely, that these attributes alone would have guaranteed a wonderful time. But then there is the food. Absolutely and beyond a doubt the best we have eaten in the UK. Gordon Ramsay, eat your heart out! Two dinners and two breakfasts convinced us that we had to come back soon. Give Overwater Hall a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJCZLawrence
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This is the first time I've submitted a review like this but I think Overwater is deserving of the effort. We booked a one night getaway -last minute. I rang to check their dog friendliness prior to booking and found the person on the phone friendly and accommodating. It's a little off the track which is just as I like it. On arrival a lady (i presume the proprietor) met us at the door, greeted us by name, insisted on carrying our luggage and showed us to our room. Pleasantly furnished and spotlessly clean with a large bathroom, the accommodation was all we had hoped for. Our bed made for a most comfortable nights sleep. I particularly enjoyed the woodland situation and felt quite at one with the great variety of flora and fauna. Red squirrels presented themselves on the terrace at breakfast, sheep grazed under our window in the afternoon and I lost count of the lichen and fungi we spotted as we ambled through the grounds.
The hotel affords a sense of luxury whilst not being stuffy. Staff are professional and very attentive without being 'in your face' The cooked breakfast was delicious though the small dinning room was intimate and one might fear talking too loudly or seeming to eaves drop on other conversations. We didn't take dinner at the hotel. I explained at the time of booking that I'd prefer a simple menu and a more informal dinner and the gentleman on the phone kindly recommended a local food pub which suited us very well. All in all a lovely experience and I'd love to revisit this hotel again. It's a keeper!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank Pudding-forrester
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Overwater Hall is fantastic.

We stayed 3 nights with our children ( 11 and 9 ) and had a perfect stay. To list ALL the wonderful features and thoughts would spoil the surprises for other guests, but suffice to say, attention to detail is fantastic – from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. Stephen was incredibly kind and patient, and the service from all staff puts many other establishments to shame.

Of note for me, was real milk in the room for tea, the very comfy bed, huge bathroom and of course the excellent food and service.

Do walk around the Board Walk in the grounds – it’s fantastic. And visit the nearby Standing Stones too.

( Some reviews comment on the expense of staying. You really do get what you pay for, and here you get a lot; the location, convenience, rooms, room, bathroom, food, service. It’s all here and worth every penny. )

We hope to return.

PS. Seeing Red Squirrels was a real bonus too!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family