All reviewsred squirrelsturret roomhomemade shortbreadlake districtextensive groundscountry house hotelcourse dinneroutstanding foodthis wonderful hoteldog friendly hotelpetit foursnothing is too much troubleafternoon teahome madelarge bathroomregular visitorsfresh milk
Reviewed February 3, 2009

Booked Overwater for a 1 night getaway and enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night - You cannot help but relax here; set in its own grounds it's quiet but only a short drive to all the sights.

The hotel is set within 18 acres and the owners have made a boarded walk through the woods and grounds - perfect for walking our dog.

We stayed in Room 6, a turret room with four poster bed which was a good size with a nice modern bathroom and very nicely decorated. However, by far the most pleasant part of our stay was the exceptional food served at the hotel. The four course dinner included in our tariff was superb and beautifully presented. The ingredients were top notch - the meat just melted in your mouth and everything was tasty and there was plenty of it.

I should also mention the hosts were friendly and welcoming and yet discreet. Could they do anything to improve my stay here???? Well from a purely personal point of view I would say the lounge and dining areas were not as stylishly decorated as the bedroom, but never the less they were still very welcoming.... the roaring log fire was fabulous! It also would have been nice to have fresh biscuits in the bedroom (rather than the packet of Walkers shortbread) to accompany the fresh milk which was a lovely touch. I recognise I am being fussy as there was fresh fruit and flowers in the bedroom.

This hotel was rated three star but in my view was a much higher standard than that. Will I visit again.........yes absolutely without hesitation, although I will need to lose a few pounds in weight to make up for what I will gain eating dinner here... it was just too good not to clear the plate.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AgaSagaNorthWales
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We have visited Overwater Hotel 68 times and love everything about it. In the beginning we chose Overwater because they accept dogs and we have continued to enjoy the food and the welcoming hosts. The grounds are so peaceful and it is wonderful to see the red squirrels, birds and other wildlife.

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 21, 2008

My wife and I recently enjoyed a weekend in Cumbria staying at the Overwater Hall Hotel near Keswick. The whole experience was a delight. The room was warm, spotlessly clean and spacious. The evening meal alone was worth the trip. Previously we have always stayed at a different hotel each time, but, from now on we have decided to return to the Overwater Hall Hotel each year for our wedding anniversary.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank biggaboy
Reviewed December 20, 2008

My partner and i have not stayed at overwater but visited on many an occasion for the fantastic food. The staff are very welcoming. i have nothing but praise for overwater it is a true gem in the lakes.The evening meal menu is out of this world, and the sweets are to die for . I would recomend that you visit here as you would not be dissapointed. Recently stayed at gilpin lodge (michellin star) in windermere and overwater hall,s food was of a higher standard,

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shutty2Cumbria
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We stayed for two nights over a weekend, in a superior room, number 8. The hotel is really nice. Comfortable rooms, lovely drawing room with lots of comfy sofas, and when we were there, a log fire crackling away in a magnificant fireplace.

Staff are great - efficient and discreet. We were greeted at the door when we arrived. That was really nice.

The food is delicious with a good selection of dishes. (My husband said he could have done with more vegetables).

All in all, a really relaxing place to go. One suggestion - a couple of good reading lights in the sitting room would be good for those of us who are a little older!

Thanks for a great break.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple