“Great dining!”

and 1 more site!
Gosforth Hall Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gosforth
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Just wanted to say how great the food and dining experience was at the recent meal my family and I had at the Gosforth Hall hotel.

Extremely pleasant owner and staff, great food, well pulled beer, good banter, lovely setting.

What more do you need?

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed June 30, 2011

This review is just about the food and inn itself as we have never stayed there. We have eaten before and it was ok apart from the heavy pastry, and the inn was full of character and very pleasant staff

This time, the staff were still pleasant, but the food had declined further to the point of severe disappointment and the general state of the inn itself had deteriorated significantly from characterful to neglected (certainly no excuse for paint peeling off the walls!)

Maybe the neglect is due to the large and impending new accommodation building currently in construction? I don't know, but I hope not.

Regarding the meals, the chips had that unpleasant "taste" of overused oil. The pies again were heavy in pastry, the salad was, well, lettuce and nothing else, and the chicken was obviously processed and sauce extremely watery. Not a lot to commend it unfortunately, especially at an average price of £10-£12 per meal

Extremely disappointed to say the least

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed for seven days in wonderful Gosforth Hall. It is a very special place. The owners are warm and friendly, the staff kind and professional. We arrived late on a Saturday night, and the owner helped us with our bags to our room, which was spacious and cosy (albeit a little dark). Coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits, tea, millk and mineral water are in generous supply. The TV is good quality with a number of free digital channels. Every day the room was cleaned spotlessly with fresh towels. Important to me, was that there is also free Wi-Fi and good mobile phone signal.

Food in Gosforth Hall is second to none. The home-made pies are world famous and we ate hearty meals on numerous occasions. They have good beer on tap, including our favorites : Kronebourg and good quality Guinness. If I had one request, it would be to offer some deep filled bauguettes/sandwiches on the menu as well.

The owners could not have been more engaging and helpful, offering guidance to special places, navigation advice and good conversation. Gosforth Hall had a hotel manager as well, Miss Lucy Kennedy, who could not have been more obliging. She has a gift in looking after guests.

I and my partner arrived at Gosforth Hall, tired and a little worn. We left a week later, happy, revived, and needing to go on a diet, after all the excellent food.

We would recommend this place to anyone interested in the Lakes, and all the beauty around. Gosforth Hall is the gateway to Wasdale and is at the edge of Gosforth village.

Room Tip: A brilliant place to stay. Book in advance.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2011

This was the first time we have stayed here and I thought it would be useful to add a review and to offer some constructive feedback.

When booking this I presumed it was a hotel as it is described as such, but on arrival discovered it is actually an Inn/pub with accommodation. It appears that Gosforth Hall has an identity crisis, it describes itself in some parts as a hotel in others as an Inn, clearly these are two different types of accommodation, and clarity would be useful for prospective guests.

On arrival I presumed there would be a reception area, however the ‘reception’ is actually the bar in the pub. We may have been unlucky in our timing but the bar crowded and noisy and was full of people watching rugby and had clearly been drinking all day. Having to walk through the group of smokers outside the main entrance each time was hardly pleasant nor did it give a very good impression of the place.

I enquired at the bar about checking in, I was given the room key and told where it was, there was no offer to help with any luggage etc. as is normal in most hotels, in fact it was impossible to bring our luggage through the very crowded bar area.

The room had obviously been well decorated but the lighting in the room was terrible, consisting of a few very small spotlights and whilst it may be intended to provide an ambiance, it would make more sense to provide full lighting that could be dimmed by preference. It was impossible to read or anything in the room such was the lighting situation. The corner that had the tea making facility was in almost darkness, which I presume the owners are aware of as they set up this area each day.

On the second day we returned to the hotel quite late and the one local shop was closed, we were also very tired and did not want to eat in the restaurant so enquired about the possibility of having some food in our room, I was informed that this wasn’t possible and that it was ‘a B&B not a hotel’, I found this somewhat strange as I had booked on the understanding it was a hotel and it does actually call itself a hotel!

I feel a request for a plate of sandwiches or similar was hardly overly demanding, as it was we had to make do with a couple of bags of crisps and nuts from the bar.

On the plus side, the breakfast was nice and the staff seemed friendly enough, the room we had was beautifully decorated, the bathroom was very well stocked and tastefully done. The location is very well situated for access to Wasland and Seascale.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I would highly recommend this place i first stayed here in June 2008 and istantly loved it. Babs and Ron are very friendly and make you feel like your at home. The breakfast is excellent and the evening meals are fantastic especially the steaks! I have been back since every year and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We recently stayed here in this wonderful hotel. A huge roaring log fire welcomed us on a cold autumn afternoon. The staff are friendly and the hotel is full of character. Lovely warm bedroom, spotlessly clean. Our Evening Meal was brilliant - busy restaurant with lovely buzzing atmosphere. Breakfast just right. Would highly recommend - it is ideally placed for some lovely lakeland fell walking.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Had a most enjoyable & comfortable stay at this old Inn. Loved the way the character of this place has been kept. We had been travelling around Ireland & England for almost 3 weeks, before our one night stay here, and of all the meals we'd eaten in different Pubs & Restaurants, declared this the best! My salmon meal was so beautifully cooked, and my husbands home made pie was delicious.Being gluten intolerant,my request for a special meal is often "to hard" and I end up eating another boring salad. It seemed nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff, here. Annie was very nice & helpful when we checked out, suggesting different places nearby that were worth a visit, for us, Australian tourist. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Marilyn from Brisbane.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosforth
Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
The Patterdale Hotel
The Patterdale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Patterdale

Been to Gosforth Hall Inn? Share your experiences!