“Great Family Site - Sadly visited by wingers and the inexperienced”

Fisherground Campsite
Chichester. West Sussex
“Great Family Site - Sadly visited by wingers and the inexperienced”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have friends near here and I visit regually, I am stunned by some of the poor comments people need to say. Yes the are rules and I and many others love this family site for the 10:30 noise rule alone. It is not a problem for the majority of us sitting up round the fire chatting normally. However if your into consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, giggling loudly, singing, shouting, selfishly disturbing others, and playing music untill the early hours the site owners and wardens randomly patroling do something possitive about this with ample requests to consider others asking for less noise from these people.... and for that, I welcome it. Every site has rules and I dont see any thing wrong with been made aware of these. The toilets never run out of paper unfortunatly some people cant grasp the twin roll holders and how to use them, the leaky roof is nothing more than 'condensation' from the showers. Staff using quad bike dont just ride around for their own amusment. they are there to help site new arivals, but the unexperienced wouldt see that. The site is well looked after and the ruts left by cars and vans dont happen here, as the owners request you not to park on the grass, but in the hard standing areas nearby, I for one would prefer nice flat grass, to that of muddy tyre ruts to pitch my tent. On my last visit i brought my grand children, the play area is dated but safe, My Grand children found playing in tyres on chains and ropes in the trees and the zip wire. not to mention the rafting pond fantastic. we need to remember whare ever the is water and children the will be mud. when I was a kid myself this is how playgrounds used to be, its great to see them in todays world, the zip wire is locked during wet conditions not because the staff want to upset the kids but has anyone considdered safty? wet wooden structures dobecome slippery....great to see they care !!!
For every bad review that finds its way here, there are 100's of happy people like myself.
If you have never been to Fisherground dont believe all the adverse comments after all some people will complain about anything, and strangly its always people that are selfish and unruly that seem to complain. I still will return, for many reasons but the open wood fires alone do it for me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank villarustica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have just returned from Fisherground & feel I have to write this review. Having read all the reviews I was not looking forward to my stay but decided to see for myself.
We thought the site was fantastic the kids loved it. All these people moaning about the wardens are talking rubbish. We found them VERY friendly & VERY helpful. I tend to find people treat you the same way you treat them. The site is clean, toilets & showers were cleaned 3 times every day. Free freezer for your ice packs was also a nice touch. Ok so there are some minor faults like the toilet block is a long way from the main field and you cant park on the grass but its not a big problem. I think alot of these poor reviews are from people who dont have any consideration for others and dont like being told to stop ruining other peoples holidays.
I will just add that if you are thinking of going to Fisherground forget the negative reviews and see for yourself. We cant wait for next summer.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Before I begin my review I would like to point out that I have been a regular camper over the last 30 years (2-3 times per year) and have travelled the all over the Uk and have never had such a terrible time.
We arrived on Tuedsay evening and met by Alison who laid down the ground rules such as no noise after 10.30pm, she seemed ok.
We were lead to our pitch and made to leave one of our two cars quite some distance away so that all of the heavy equipment in it had to be carried across. Later the same evening at around 11pm myself and my son were talking in whispers as our younger children and my husband were sleeping and the warden came across to our tent and told us to be quiet. The following morning Alison asked us to move our car forward as we were in a very long car and it was causing an obstruction (you could have got a tank past!) we did as we were told and moved the car by about a foot which caused the front end to go under the rope barrier which Alison said was ok. We were later told off by another warden who said he was sick to death of tightening the rope barriers because people were running their cars into them. My husband explained that he had been instructed to do it and he just walked off - no apology. That evening at about 11.30pm the warden asked us to be quiet again despite us talking very quiety. It was a complete joke as you could hear music being played, small children screaming and dogs barking well into the early hours. At around 12 midnight a woman appeared at our tent practically in tears asking us to be quiet. By this time only myself and my friend were up talking very quietly, there were people snoring louder than us!
One one evening when I went to the toilets there was a couple having sex in one of the cubicles - where were the wardens then?
The showers were filthy and the roof leaky, on two occasions I was asked to move my things from the sink so that the warden could clean around me. Don't froget your 50p's for the showers - they take at least 2 for a reasonable length of time. Don't bother taking your hair dryer there are no sockets. They provide a hairdryer that is virtually impossible to use due to the short cord and silly positioning.
I wouldn't allow my kids to use the very unsafe looking play equipment, half the stuff was broken or rotten or chained up. The kids were knee deep in mud around the play area - very dangerous as it was near open water. None of it was suitable for under 6 - 7 year olds. My dog jumped into the rafting pond and came out covered in ticks and developed an eye infection. The pond smelt like rotting eggs. The wardens were often seen with their hands on their hips shaking their heads or talking very loudly about guests behaviour. We were camped near some bins which were emptied every hour - the wardens go through everything and talk to each other about how discusting people are putting milk cartons etc in the bins???
We met some lovely people on the site - mainly sensible middle aged people with kids or grandkids and everyone agreed that the site was a dissapointment and the no speaking after 10.30pm rule was a joke.
We paid over £150 to stay at this site - we would have left after the first night however no refunds were available.
It is way overpriced, forget the thrill of the campfire, save your money and stay in one of the other sites in Eskdale.
I read the reviews and went anyway, I wished I had gone somewhere else. I have never written a review before but felt so strongly about this god-awful place I had to warn others.
I hope the wardens read this and change their behaviour.

6 Thank bellabella2
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We have just returned from four days at Fisherground campsite and will not be returning.

When we arrived on the site the staff were nice and friendly, showed us where to pitch, offered advice etc. However, after we parted with our cash the staff seemed to undergo a personality transplant of megalomaniac proportions.

When we asked if they took cards the woman (owner?) looked at me like I was stupid, waved her arms in mid air and said ' I don't have the facilities to take cards' as if I was insane to even suggest such a thing....the tiny shop down the road managed to though just fine.....?

The constantly patrol the site on loud quad bikes, which is okay but when they are offering constant warnings of 'THE RULES' with such an abrupt manner it makes for a really unpleasant experience. They kept reminding people about 'no parking on the grass' however, a few special people were allowed to park on the grass and nothing was done about the greedy parkers taking up two or even three spaces in the car parking areas.

The owner even 'told off' my 2 year old son - for throwing tiny stones into the large pond at the play area, which twenty other kids were doing also....?! Other campers we spoke to said they'd been in trouble several times but they just managed to laugh it off which I suppose you have to.

My friends were asked to move their tent as it was 'too close' to a tiny tent belonging to 'a serious walker' , which is all well and good but NOT when the wardens knew where they were pitching and setting up to come running over just as the last bit of unpacking had been done, to insist on them moving. The warden didn't want to upset the walker so he chose to upset all of us, who were paying over £30 a night between us for the privilege.

The warden (owner?) also kept making remarks such as ' well you will be sitting up until late though won't you' as if he was trying to goad me into saying yes, just so he could repeat his rules to me. Even when I said, 'No, we won't actually as I have young kids' he still tried to repeat the 'no noise after 10.30pm' rule to me.

Having said all that, the toilets and showers were clean (if you avoid looking up at the spider webs on the roof!) when we arrived on the Thursday and slowly got eroded down due to big queues, lots of kids and just generally busy, which is okay if the staff kept up with it all. The toilets kept running out of handsoap and toilet roll at inopportune moments! The hot water was hot at the start of the weekend but at peak times it did run cold and this is a pet hate of mine, washing dishes in lukewarm/cold water - yuk!

The location is lovely, a touch too remote for my liking- decent day drips at least a 20 minute drive away.

All in all, a lovely place, a lovely view on unzipping the tent, a deep breath of gorgeous Lake District air spoiled by the megalomaniacal owners.

All hail the commandant!

1 Thank BunglesFinger
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2010

After a very unpleasant three and a half hour drive getting lost in the rain to Eskdale, we arrived at Fisherground and had to park up at the barrier and wait for 'Alison' the Warden to give us eye contact to greet us and sort us out with a pitch. We waited for 20 minutes before she acknowledged us as she clearly couldn't do 2 things at once and fussed about seeing to one person at a time whilst three other wardens followed her instructions. Eventually we got seen to and got told the strict ground rules as soon as we handed over our payment!... How welcoming!!! We followed one of the Wardens on his Quad Bike (which broke their speed restrictions constantly throughout the weekend) and got left to find ourselves a pitch when we found where our friends were. We pitched courteously to leave enough room for another tent if needed as the camp was filling up. After we had pegged all the ropes, put all our belongings into the tent and just settled to make our tea, a Warden came over and told us that we were too close to another tent. We were quite happy to move our tent (despite the massive inconvenience), however, he persisted to go one about it and told us that our neighbour was a very serious walker and had been here 2 weeks and needs his sleep. Then he acussed my friend of being stressed even though he kept quiet and didn't even turn around to get involved. This put a miserable end to a stressful day, not a very good start to what was supposed to be a chilled out weekend away. I would not stay here again and would certainly not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gem_d7
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the end of July; Fisherground looked like 'family camping Nirvana' on their website.
Staff were friendly enough, shower block abit small and grubby but not bad. It was very busy (as you'd expect) but they were working hard. They consistently broke their own speed limit on the Quad Bike! No recycling facilities that we could find.
The real problem was our fellow campers - Liverpool and Manchester's finest Chavs like to camp here too! We had a group of 5 guys (so much for the rule about single-sex groups) and a pair of young women who were intent on getting plastered all day and playing their car stereos (loud and appalling trashy music so even worse!). Another single dad with a horde of foul-mouthed feral kids sat and played The Stone Roses for two hours and told several people where to go when asked to turn it down - unbelievable behaviour. Couldn't find any staff at that point...but they were made aware and funnily enough became scarce, so you're on your own here when trouble strikes.
Having not camped for a decade, its really disappointing to see the way camping has gone - these people think they're at a festival rather than a family campsite and absolutely do not care about anyone else.
The play area was quite good for older ones, some iffy structures though, and lots of aforementioned feral, screaming youths.
Despite all this, my children enjoyed it, esp the campfire- but I would'nt go there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We (me my wife and 3 children) decided to try camping for the first time after our eldest returned waxing lyrical from a school camping trip. After trawling the internet looking for campsites in the Lake District (we wanted great scenery). Came across Fisherground Farm campsite and the photos swung me as did the fact that you could have real campfires. However I was a little concerned to read some reviews that described the staff as “little Hitlers”.

Arrived late Friday to be met by very polite and cheery Alison Parkin (who owns the campsite with her husband Mick – who we never met). She welcomed us and asked to settle up. In the back of my mind I had some reviews that stated that Alison was friendly till you paid up. I promptly paid £58 for a two night stay for the 5 of us with electric hook up and car parking. Alison then in the same polite and friendly manner asked me to follow one of the wardens to the area where we could pitch.

Arrived at the pitch and Martin (one of the wardens) told us to pitch anywhere but avoid a small area that had been pitched on before and the grass was yellow. I stated that we were first time campers and could he help us with choosing the pitch. This he did and even got us an extension lead for the power. We were then left alone (I was waiting to be told the long list of rules some reviewers have mentioned). Once we got the tent up Martin came round to see if we were ok and needed any help. He just mentioned in an offhand way that the campsite has the rule of minimum noise after 10:30pm. That was the long list of rules!!! I asked for some wood for the fire and Martin got me a bag of wood (£3.50) and kindling with firelighter (50p).

Martin then stated that he occupied a large motor home with his wife and if we need anything anytime just come and knock. That was it. We certainly did not get bothered again. It was an excellent introduction to our first night of camping sitting around our campfire. The site has wheel rims on each pitch in which one can light a camp fire.

At 10:30pm we were expecting to be told to go to bed (as some reviewers have written) but no one bothered us because we were quiet – talking in normal voices. The next morning we opened the tent to see beautiful views and could hear the whistle of the steam train passing the outskirts of the campsite. We made breakfast of fried eggs and toast. It was the most delicious we have ever had due to the scenery. We then found our vehicle had a flat battery. Being an automatic cannot be “jump started” and being a Range Rover Sport needs a large vehicle to start with jump leads. Quick as a shot Alison was off and requested a camper with a BMW X5 to help us. Soon we were started. Spent the day boating in Windermere. we returned late afternoon and the kids started to play cricket, another couple of kids joined in and before long the adults joined in too with the resultant shouting / goading of the opposition. Naz (another warden and Martin’s wife) was walking past and joined in with friendly jokes etc.

We were sad to pack up the next day and head home. I feel we have been spoilt by our stay at FGFCS. The staff are ALL wonderful. The toilets etc are extremely clean (some hotels could learn about cleanliness here). Showers are a plenty and warm. 50p is more than enough for a good long shower. There are washing machines, driers, boot driers, freezer, iron and hair driers. If you are a party animal don’t go to this campsite. If you want peaceful tranquil surroundings with great staff and facilities, then you too will fall in love with this place. We only spent 2 nights but felt more relaxed than we do after 2 weeks abroad. Being a very busy senior executive who works long hours it was a pleasure to rediscover my family by sitting talking around the campfire.

Anyone reading this review thinks I only look on the bright side – pls read my scathing review of Grand Midwest Hotel App in Dubai. I have travelled to many countries and know good service from bad.

Don’t pay any attention to poor reviews. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SITE with a great kids play area.

Israr Shah & Family

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank israrshah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
Lutwidge Arms Hotel
Brook House Inn and Restaurant
Forest How Guest House
Forest How Guest House
#3 of 10 in Eskdale

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!