“Great place to camp and relax”

Fisherground Campsite
Iver, United Kingdom
“Great place to camp and relax”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to Fisherground after 'finding' it on the 'net.... well I am surprised at other's reviews ! This site is a joy... three pubs nearby, yet it is peaceful on site. The locals are fine people, as are the staff and owners. I like to be left alone when camping, and when the noise 'rules' were explained, I thought 'Great - no noise at night' - I am a light sleeper and do not like noisy people.
During the day and early evening there is some noise from the other camper's children playing - but they are on holiday - and it was nice to know that they are enjoying themselves. By 9pm all was quiet, and I found all the children to be most polite and respectful. Some times they may get over-exited, but they are on holiday - and happy !
I, as most people. have sometimes grumpy moments, but do not 'bite' others - it's not their fault ! Some people are best avoided as they seem to feel they can pass-on their stress - well that doesn't work, and if you don't know the 'un-written rules' of camping, then they maybe you should learn them before making comments of or about others - one staff member even asked me if I had a piece of wood to put my motorcycle stand on, so it (the bike) didn't fall over - how helpful is that ?
I have stayed in many sites, and only found a couple that I wouldn't like to revisit due to the attitudes of other campers - this is NOT one of them, and I can't think of another site in the Lakes that I would rather camp at. I found all the staff and owner to be fine - some people do want too much from the staff, there are only a few of them compared to a lot of campers. Running a site that is devoted to being a family site must be hard work, but I did overhear one young lad saying (in a very tired voice) ' This has been the longest day ever !" - something tells me he'll want to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Bob H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bury
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It's a well kept and run campsite. The location is fantastic for both the seasoned walker and the gentle rambler.
I have visited a few times and have always found it clean and well maintained.
I have no kids, and don't normally like lots of kids but at this campsite I make an exception. I really enjoy the sound if laughter from the rafting pond and of the kids running round enjoying themselves. It's great to see them enjoying the out doors.
I don't object to keeping my dogs on the lead and picking up after their mess. It makes it work for everyone.
Yes the showers get busy but I alway found mid afternoon or early morning not to busy even at peak times. As for the toilets I have rarely had to wait.
I have never found the owners or staff rude. I have seen them dealing patiently with ignorant campers who think it is ok to stay up drinking and playing music til 1pm and then allow their kids to run around at that time with flashlights waking other campers up. (this was on previous trip). I'm no kill joy but there is a time and a place for that kind of behaviour.
I took a friend up this time (left hubby at home!!) and she thought it was fantastic and wants to go back ASAP. This weekend she is at a festival so late nights will be the order of the day.
I hope that the campers who enjoy the location and fun of camping with camp fires continue to visits and the louts stay away.
Keep up the good work.......and see you all soon......
Nina

Room Tip: If u want to party all night go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Neinz
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This place - by its nature - is the most beautiful setting for a wonderful peaceful and trully magical camping stay - apart from a sea or lake view it ticks ALL the boxes - rolling hills - real campires - lovely woodland setting - great walks - great pubs - lovely riverside rambles - and even its own station on the minature steam railway that runs from ravenglass to Eskdale

This place is heaven - great for kids with a kids play area and pond - rope slides and much more - it has an ambience all of its own - no gangs - no noise - just sheer relaxation - but all this comes at a cost !

It is professionaly and ruthlessly run by the most miserable, rude and totally obnoxious owners on the planet - Mick and his wife are just about as ignorant and as rude as its possible to get

Yes they run a tight ship - but never pay for more than a night at a time - as you may want to leave early ( this is not a friendly place ) dont dare drive on thier precious grass - and dont ever out stay your 11.00 am welcome - or they will charge you for your extra car parking -

If ever a couple were "so in the WRONG JOB" it must be these two frosty faced idiots !!

I wish Fishergound well - but not under the comand of this pair - they really do need to seek some sort of professional trainninf as they will eventually ruin this buisness with theie terrible attitiude !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon W
Barnsley
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a few days stay at Fisherground Campsite and we had a fantastic time. We went with our 9 year old daughter and she loved it. She would have played in the water area all day if we let her but there was so much to do. If walking is your thing there are great bridle paths to go for walks, a steam train circles the perimeter of the campsite and all you do is hold your hand up and he will stop for you to get on. The local pub King George is just a few hundred yards an easy ten minutes walk from camp. To put things right about what people have said about negatives of this site. Yes, you cannot park at the side of your tent BUT it's a massive twenty steps between your car and the tent! If you are unable to walk or carry things for twenty steps then you may struggle! Also the signs up about children and dogs basically say they are your responsibility - well yes they are your responsibility and so you should look after them! The owners of the camp were polite and made conversation and made sure we were happy and gave us lots of information being first time to this site. Not colditz at all! All in all a fantastic site and we will definitely be going again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BarnsleyBelle
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights wanted to climb scar fell pike in good weather, wouldn't of stayed this long other wise, anyway Ive stayed all over the uk camping and i'm not a moaner either, but i had to review this site. its a shame really because the site is in a fab location, wonderful views, a few play grounds and a play pond for the kids to use, which they did like, Note if your kids like water and rope swings make sure you get them in swimming clothes 1st mine came to me in 5 mins Drenched. well the rules on site are very clearly laid out every where around the site with large signs and they are enforced and there is no refunds either which is placed on every board too, also there are small signs in the washing and WC/ shower areas to remind you of other rules in place, the walden will also walk around the site and tell you its 10:30pm, i do have to say the waldens on site are great but the owners are in the wrong job, i over heard the own ask a camper "why they had not left its gone 11am, your ment to be gone by 11am its say so on the ticket" the owners attide to people isnt right at all, like i said perfect site shame about the owners, i will not return ever, which is a shame cos i will miss the views, oh i sayed with 7 childen and 3 alduts, also one of the children pulled up a rock in the kids plays area and was told off, with added how would you like if i did that in your garden. you are controlled by pettie rules and your know all about them if you step out of line.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Moorey00
hampshire
Reviewed August 3, 2012

we stayed here 29th July to the 3rd August two families. Accommodation was clean and tidy. We loved the area but would never go back to this campsite again. The wardens were friendly enough to the children but they were controlled by the owners of this park. The owners were very rude. The rules of the campsite with children to be a little bit strict. Would go back to this area again but would NEVER EVER stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank minnie41
London, UK
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have read the previous reviews and thought I would add my thoughts.....

The campsite is in a great position, well positioned for many walks and visits in the West Lakes.

We took our two children (6 and 4) and they adored the site - despite the rain. There is a small play park which kept then busy for hours, the pond was a huge attraction and the tractor wheel boats and rope swing were in constant use.

The site is well used but never feels overcrowded. The shower block is constantly clean and again I never had to wait to use anything there... The water used for washing up is not always hot, that would be one of my minus points...

As far as the owners went, I found them very helpful. Agreed there are some signs around that may be a little over zealous, but that did not detract from the site.

My negatives would be

Washing up water not always hot.
Slightly more strict than some sites I am used to.

Positives

Waking up to "those views"
Keeps the kids happy without resorting to sugar or kids clubs!
A lovely sense of freedom!

Hope this was of use. I will be back next year, and I hope for a few more to come.....

Andy

Room Tip: Bring your own ;)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank andyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
YHA Eskdale
YHA Eskdale
#2 of 2 in Boot
Brook House Inn and Restaurant

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!