“superb site but a few downsides!”

Fisherground Campsite
darwen
“superb site but a few downsides!”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

This is the second time ive been to fisherground and love the location, child freindly and great views.
I still think £75 for a family of 5 " 6 BERTH" is a little steep for a camping break, but i think thats is the going rate nowadays.
My biggest dissapointment this year was being told where to pitch the tent which we seemed to be crammed very close together which ended up looking like a glastonbury concert rather then a peaceful campsite, but suppose it would be being the first main holiday of the year with great weather.
I do reccomend this camp for familys not so much for couples who want peace and quiet, and i will be coming back in the nearby future but not bank holidays.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This is the worst campsite in the world not due to its location but by the owners and in particular Alison who is the most annoying rude patronising woman I have ever come across, she is hell bent on ruining any stay on the campsite with a Stalin type regime rattling of rule after rule talking to you like you a child, one group who was next to us had a disabled child and Alison upset the Childs mother so much that they packed up and went home which is what we did after 1 night despite paying for 2 nights and were unable to get a refund
Please do your self a favour and stay away

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank louisconrad
England
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed here 15-17th sept 2010. I was one of only 3 on the site when I arrived on a wednesday. Having read the reviews on here I was a bit dubious about the stay but I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. Very resonably priced, you can have a fire (albeit in their own metal wheel rims which are not to be moved!) I found the staff to be fine. I think maybe it is a clash of personalities with some people sometimes! The facilites were great I thought. It was clean but basic, plenty of hot water, boot drying cupboard, washing and drying facilities. Dont forget 50p coins for showers and 2 will give u the best amount of time in shower. It was fine for a base to then go walking. It is a 5 minute walk from the king george IV pub which serves reasonable pub food and beer. The Boot Inn is much better (5 min drive away). There is a £5 fee if you stay later than 11am on day of leaving as I found out!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

this campsite is full of promise with the campsite fires etc and good location . We arrived early [before 12] on a fri before a bank holiday hoping to ensure a good spot for the weekend . Despite the initial friendly welcome we were not allowed to camp in spaces that had any sunshine despite politely asking and there being lots of space . We were placed near the trees by the playground , v noisy and shady by 230 .I was told to walk across the field if i wanted to sunbathe .as you cant book it seems strange that there is no advantage in getting there early . The campsite gaurds patrol in noisy quad bikes, there are only 5 toilets for a busy site so long queues .A number of people I spoke to felt the same, the normal "free" feeling of camping was totally supressed.This is the first time I have felt so strongly and therefore the first review I have written .GO elsewhere

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kath029
PRESTON
Reviewed September 2, 2010

This was my 3rd visit to the campsite with my grandson this year, and it only gets better
Mick and Alison and the rest of the staff go out of there way to make your stay as comfortable as possible, Of course there are rules but they are only what you would expect to show respect to your fellow campers. ln my three visits April May and August.the camp was run perfectly The toilet facilities was kept in tip top condition by the wardens who deserve a lot of credit, the site is slowly being upgraded to benefit the campers and every body is well looked after, so all the moaners please keep away we can easly manage without you,,,Keep up the good work Mick and Alison,, myself and grandson will see you 2011 Thankyou

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank GRANDAN
Staffs
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Myself, the hubby and two boys, (9and 6 yrs) visited this campsite 5 years ago; we thought it was great then, and it came up trumps yet again for us!!! We stayed for 6 nights in total, and boys loved it so much!! This is what children so badly need these days- getting mudded up, making their own entertainment and just 'playing' , like we used to when we were young!! The play area, pond, stream, and stepping stones, the ice cream van every evening, the many friends they made, the campfires at night, the toasted marshmallows, the rocks to climb up, the miniature train running past nearby, oh I could go on and on!!
If youve got kids and you just want to 'chill' with a good book and do some serious unwinding, then its all here!! No phone signal, no internet, no distractions, you can just be together as a family and reconnect with each other. This is what camping is all about, and I still cant quite believe the negative postings on here! Yes, Alison and Mick do run a very tight ship on the campsite, but that is why we chose to come back; we have had too many camping breaks marred by inconsiderate and selfish people who have no concept of what true camping is all about, so its reassuring to know that the owners are proactive in establishing the rules.Dont ever change, Alison and Mick, keep up the good work!!
And a word of advice to the 'pretend' campers who have spent time or are thinking of spending time on this campsite. If your idea of fun is to make your presence known by playing loud music, drinking excessively and generally disregarding the rules, then get yourselves over to Shell Island, where you'll fit right in there. Dont ruin it for the rest of us who just want a peaceful relaxing break. You wont be made to feel welcome here, so why put yourself through it, and then have to get home and start ranting on here about how terrible it was and how you felt victimised, harrassed etc. Poor things, having your holidays spoiled, must have been terrible!!
I therefore echo all the positive reviews- I thoroughly recommend this campsite - great for kids, fantastic views all around and comforting to know that the owners are looking out for all the decent and serious campers amongst us.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Just returned from this campsite and will never be going back, what a shame such a beautiful place, but what unfriendly staff. Upon arriving was greeted with such an unfriendly welcome do these people not want us to be there and don't they realise that such a negative and arrogant attitude loses them business as people will not return. Campsite from hell, would not recommend it to anyone they just want to rip you off and make your holiday miserable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank tania187069
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
Lutwidge Arms Hotel
Brook House Inn and Restaurant
Forest How Guest House
Forest How Guest House
#3 of 10 in Eskdale

Been to Fisherground Campsite? Share your experiences!