“Great Pub Grub”
Review of King George IV Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eskdale
King George IV Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
“Great Pub Grub”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Visited the King George IV for lunch while walking in Eskdale. Very welcoming staff, dog friendly and good pub grub. Had the Cumberland sausage baguette with mushrooms, side salad and chips, very tasty. Followed by bread and butter pudding from the specials board. Good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My finace and I stayed here last April over the easter break. (its taken awhile for me to get around to writing the review). We rented the little flat around the back of the pub. It was clean, cozy and just what we were looking for. They welcomed our dog Lily as well which was an added bonus. Although it rained the entire time, we still enjoyed the walks and the surrounding area as it was so pretty and peaceful, far removed from the busier areas of the lake district. The staff were brilliant and very friendly, the landlord was great as well. Even the locals were friendly. We loved the food, the steaks were delicious and the portions were huge and all at very reasonable prices. We would definately go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KirstyMarkS
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you plan on visiting this place - and I'm NEVER going back - check your money, order and change. Remember also to ask for a receipt! Utterly foul landlord - incredibly rude. While I was waiting at the bar, there were three separate issues with bills and orders where people had been overcharged. This happened to us & the landlord, although he was entirely in the wrong, couldn't bring himself to apologise. Awful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angela C
Cumbria UK
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Booked to play golf at Eskdale golf course, for a change it rained, so the golf course was unplayable. Not to worry, we would pitch the tent and go for a walk without spoiling it with sticks and lost balls. Oh no you won't said Fisherground; "we're flooded out". Yeah right. They just didn't like the look of my very ugly and hideously deformed golfing chum Martyn Challoner. Not to worry I said, that pub we passed looks like it might have a room or two. Landlord Harrison was on hand to give us the options straight away, pitch the tent in his garden or stay upstairs in the pub. He didn't finish the sentence as we sped upstairs to fight for the top bunk (more room for activities). We were not too disapointed to find that the bunk beds were double beds with en-suite facilities. Very clean and tidy, and enough water pressure to take the enamel off your teeth in the shower. We ate good British steak for tea and drank good British beer until someone (presumably the big fella himself) poured me into my room and Mr Hideous into his equally well appointed room along the corridor. Banjo sandwiches and coffee greeted us in the morning, and an invitation to return, which we will be taking up now we are officially confirmed old b*%$£@"s who drink real ale! Thanks again for single handedley rescuing the tourist industry in the Eskdale Valley. Top man, top team.

Room Tip: They're all great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PhatHutch
Looe, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stopped in for lunch after drive over hardnose pass (awsome!) and so glad we found it. This is a traditional flagstone floored pub with a good selection of well cared for ales in a beatifull location. My eldest daughter had the steak pie which was full of tender beef in a tasty gravy - excellent! My wife had the steak baguette, and myself and younger daughter the cumberland sausage, onion and gravy baguette, both delicious. Most impressive was the childrens choices, all homemade rather than bought in frozen - my twin boys had the breaded chicken. All served with nice hand cut chips.
The self catering accomodation looked good too - maybe next time!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

In a way nothing special, but that why it is so good - friendly, clean, decent food, not fancy but good sized portions, cooked fresh. Plenty of local ales, log fire. No gimmicks or anything fancy, but exactly what you want at the end of a long hike, or when nearly flooded out of the campsite down the road.

Room Tip: NOTE the bad reviews must have been when previous owner was in residence, as they do not tally with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RiceandCurry
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I first stumbled on this little 'GEM' of a pub/eating house on a solo backpacking trip in July 2011. I have since frequented this establishment on a number of occasions now.I am totally amazed by the sheer commitment from 'Jonty' the landlord, who never seems to need sleep, I,ve seen Jonty scrubbing the old stone floors at the end of a busy evening, then waiting to greet his guests at 9am in the morning with a Full English breakfast waiting for Them. Jonty has built up a fantastic team of bar staff around himself. His Bar staff are committed to producing great food, great beer and a great friendly atmosphere, the Cumberland sausage and mash are to die for. The meals are all around a Tenner in cost, and the Real ale is an unbelievable £2.80 a pint (YES £2.80). I had a choice of around 5 different real ales, I did my research and tried them all, at least twice..! and exceptional they all where. I've just returned from another backpacking trip, and again i set a day aside to pop into The King George for a beer and some grub.I spent the afternoon and evening chatting to Lindsey, one of his bar sfaff. Like the rest of the King George team, i found Lindsey very polite and professional in the work she did, Her knowledge on the local badger population was impeccable.
I will be heading up to Eskdale later in the year again and will definitely be dropping in once again for a beer or two.

Keep up the great work guys, Jonty dont change a thing..!
Simon, AKA the chap in the other bar. AKA Bear Grylls

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank simon m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
Brook House Inn and Restaurant
Forest How Guest House
Forest How Guest House
#3 of 10 in Eskdale

Been to King George IV Inn? Share your experiences!