“Good Stay”

Ranked #4 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
balivanich
“Good Stay”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Made to feel welcome, evening meal good, breakfast good. Rooms nice only down side woken by the dustbin men at 06:30 and had to walk to the bottom of car park for mobile signal, but the beauty of th area mor than makes up for it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Made to feel 'Home from Home' here, comfortable, clean, good food and great service. The staff can't do enough for you and the food is fresh and featuring local produce. good choice for breakfast ranging from Porridge, or Kippers through to the Bower House Cooked Breakfast.

Ideally located for easy walking or drives to the Western Lake District. There is short walk just up the road which takes in a forest bridle path and then through the Japanese Gardens and Giggle Alley back down to the road, it takes about an hour and a half.

All in All, it is refreshing to visit the Traditional Lakes experience.

Room Tip: Try The Ullswater Room
1 Thank okeh45
Blackpool
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My partner and I were smitten by this warm and welcoming place. We were after a quiet getaway for a couple of days and the Bower House Inn fit the bill just fine.

Peaceful walking is on your doorstep, as is the Ravenglass to Dalegarth railway (both of which we took plenty advantage). I've travelled a bit, and of all places I've visited, the most romantic is a dead heat between Eskdale and Grange-over-Sands. I proposed to my (now) fiancee on Sunday morning overlooking the breathtaking hills a few hundred yards down the road from the Inn.

If you'd prefer to hunker down instead, the rooms are well enough appointed and very cosy. There is a choice to eat in either the bar or restaurant, for any meal you choose to take there. Given the option, the bar is just perfect, with its lovely open fire.

The food was excellent. The "Full House" (Full English) was adequate, and cooked in very little fat. The staff make a mean scrambled egg! There is plenty of choice for evening meals, and a specials board. We were very happy with our chicken stew and burger and chips. Our will to explore other places overrode our desire to eat there again. If only we'd stayed another night!

Eskdale isn't the easiest place to reach, especially in the ice, snow and 1 in 3 hill we were subjected to on an ill-advised SatNav route back via Kendal, but if we'd wanted a big battery hotel off the M61 we would have done that instead.

All-round, a great weekend.

1 Thank Aleik
Preston
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were apprehensive about our stay after reading recent reviews, but we did enjoy our stay.

We had a friendly enough welcome, the room itself was very nice others have mentioned cleanliness overall, i'd say it was good, the only gripe would be a boxing in the bathroom that wasn't a clean as it should be. But other than that it was spotless no dust in sight. But perhaps reading reviews on here make you hyper critical and maybe otherwise i wouldn't even have noticed!

We had a meal and it was good, i think generally these pubs who are in the middle of nowhere have to charge a premium which is a fair enough.

Others mentioned wild nights, but we didn't experience any, we were the last in the bar on the Saturday night at 11.00pm and it was a very tranquil place

The breakfast was average i'd say.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on the weekend on a deal.
The price of the hotel tariff does not make any sense for the value you get at full price and so with the voucher deal being a discount rate, you would think your getting a bargin but it's still overpriced compared to other places in the local area aswell as other deals in the lake district, the room is very very basic at best with no charm except cracks/mold and miss match of dusty fittings and shabby furniture and thin walls.

(me and my parter have stayed in the lakes before in various locations and different price ranges on diffrent deals and this deal was a mid to high range price)

Short version.

Do not stay here because;
It's very overpriced for what itis,
Poor service and vibe I.e not freindly,
Overpriced food that is made and cooked very badily.
Breakfast is a major let down to starting your day,
Rooms stuffy/dusty and has mold,
Pub fights happen with locals,
Room has no soundproofing/toilet screeching from everyone throughout the night and talking from neighbours so no privacy for a romantic weekend.
Complaints are ignored.
Room starts to smell of cooking fat when anyone cooks,
And your trapped here as its very remote.

Long version.

Open arrival was greeted by Louise who seemed freindly at first at reception and she instantly shown us to our room.

Inside was a small, cold, dark, poorly lite room with a miss match of cheap furniture with no character or style, was a very stuffy room and lots of dust. Cracks all over and some repair to cracks that were visible as not painted over.
Bed was a very small double and not comfy, with old dusty scatter cushions on top. Bathroom had mold in and when you turn on the shower the head dramtically turns 90 degrees and sprays water on the floor and this happens when other guests use the toilet. Toilet also screeches when other guests use there en-suit and makes loud noise in the night. Not so good if you like to use the toilet in the night as it wakes everyone up.
Big crack under the door so you can smell food constantly as the kitchen door is left open so the smell goes up he stairs into your room, don't get me wrong I like food smells but this is cooking fat smell on a evening from a fryer and in the morning from cooked breakfasts.

Food was a very poor standard, was quite gutted as read good reviews but I orded pâté that was a bland tasteless oversized slab of nothing, essentially there was no seasoning or flavour, was served with basic toast, also tried garlic mushrooms but again had no depth of flavour and a tiny portion of nothing special. Had a burger that lacked actual meat and came as it was shrunk to a tiny aize with a skanky portion of chips, the burger was a poor quality of meat and had been overcooked as was dry and had bits of gristle/cartilage in every mouthful, I had to ask for mayo to moisten it but I left it and eat the chips. I complained on the starter and again about the main but the young waitress simply did not care and nothing happend.
Very overpriced and not proper pub grub as portions are small and cheap ingredients are used, I've had better burgers in weatherspoons for £3.99 that comes with a pint or even a 99p chicken mayo chicken is far supperior.

Second night i opted to eat out down the road at the king George which had a excellent vibe, very freindly and loads cheaper and more importantly decent pub bring using good local ingredients. I recommend eating there highly.

The actual bar had some decent clean tasting ales but lacked any vibe.

On the first day after a hour upon arrival a large group of males took over the bar for a few hours and cranked the volume up very loud from 5 onwards with drum & bass which is not so great if your after a romantic time away or relaxing time as your trapped as there's nothing in walking distance and as there is no sound proofing you can hear the music under the gaps and the old floors vibrate, we could also hear a drunken fight a couple hours after that went on for a while, what happened was a bar table was thrown across the bar and then evtually one of the guys had his head smashed through a window, then the police arrived and then a ambulance, this is not what you really want on a weekend away.

Breakfast varried dramatically each morning, in quality aswell and quantities 2 sausage one morning and one overdone one the next, oh and the locally sorced sausage was a walls sausage, very greasy plate and egg overdone, cold mushrooms, you toast your own bread but the toaster is too small for the bread so quarter does not even toast.

The area eskadale itself is nice and we looked at the tarrif at the king George that was in the menu down the road and was surprised at the pictures and value for money, the place was buzzing with a proper vibe, loads of drinks and a proffesional menu that delived great food so slightly gutted I ended up in the Bower House Inn.

Summery.

This is the reason why people support more and more chain hotels and restaurants as independent b&bs/restaurants like this advertise and make false promise about themselves when they can't clearly live up to them, they overprice things to make more money and do not deliver or accept your complaint but simply ignore you as a customet and take your hard earned money. AVOID!!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Burnstyles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have really fond memories of the Bower House Inn back when I used to go with my family, over 10 years ago now. Sadly my recent visit was a big disappointment. I bought a deal from a daily deal website for a two night stay with my partner, and despite the offer being back on, I won't be going back.
We were given the Wasdale room, and it was pretty bad. It was incredibly dusty, and as an allergy sufferer, I really struggled unless the window was open, even though the room was already freezing. There were holes in the walls too.
My biggest disappointment was the food at dinner in the pub. I remember proper pub grub served in big portions. The menu is now pretentious, over-priced and the food just doesn't cut it. We had a "meat and vegetable pie" (despite asking two people, no-one could tell us what meat it was). The pie was the size of my palm, with 5 chips and 3 strands of vegetable on the side. The meat was tough and tasteless. Our sticky toffee pudding was burned, to top the meal off.
Breakfast was good and plentiful, very welcome given the walks we went on during the day.
I really hope they sort out their downfalls because I love Eskdale and it used to be such a comfort to go to this inn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FoodGeek89
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I arrived late on Friday 25th Jan 2013 having trekked through horrendous snow and was immediately met with a very warm welcome. I phoned the Inn earlier in the evening to explain the bad weather and the manager had asked the chef to stay late so that I could have a warm meal when I arrived!!! Fantastic! After the meal I spent most of the evening using the receptions phone, trying to coordinate my friends who were stranded on various points of the A590. The manager was fantastic and kept me company on the phones till well after 1:30am! When I finally went to bed, the room was warm, very clean and I slept really well!
On the Saturday my friends joined us for breakfast having had a very bad nights sleep and the staff were great in raising their spirits! Having walked for most of the day and returning later in the afternoon, the staff had arranged karaoke to get us in the mood for the nights entertainment. This is just another example of the extra mile the staff went to in making our stay memorable. We were given ideas for places to visit in the local area and even offered transport! I can't speak any higher of the staff who work at the Bower House Inn as they were fantastic and made my stay unforgettable. I will most definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank NickDep
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
#2 of 10 in Eskdale
The Santon Bridge Inn
The Santon Bridge Inn
#2 of 5 in Holmrook

Been to Bower House Inn? Share your experiences!