“One for Top Gear”

and up
High Adventure Day Tour from Keswick
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Eskdale
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Not the top gear on your car but the TV programme. Nothing I can add to previous reviews but I am sure that the mad threesome could devise an adventure using this amazing piece of road. They managed to shut the Mall in London for one programme so I am sure the Lake District National Park could be persuaded to allow them to use Wrynose/Hardknott pass to make a spectacular film. The scenery is remote, rugged and beautiful. Best in a four wheel drive automatic.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hardknott and Wrynose passes are one of the quickest if not easiest ways to get from the east to the west lakes it is very steep about 1 1/2 car widths and effectively someone has just thrown tarmac on a mountain in the whole trip i dont think i got above 3rd gear
A little tip go midweek when its not as busy

1  Thank jamesjSilsden
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We went over the Hardknott and Wrynose pass as we were heading towards Lake Windermere from the left. We were in a small 2 door car with a good confident driver at the wheel. We took things slowly enjoying the amazing views infront and behind whilst willing the car to carry on up the steep hills. Sat Navs will want you to go this way but if you look at a road map there are plenty of other options. Remember the unwritten rules of the road and let people coming up pass you and don't force your way through oh and ensure you know where your bite is on the car hehe!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've walked this road and cycled it (with a hired electric bike) and it never gets old! When I walked from Windermere to Ravenglass in May, I was bowled over by the number of drivers that asked whether I wanted a ride - very nice people! Can't wait to go back on my own bicycle!

1  Thank sciastroamateur
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Wrynose and Hardknott pass are a must for any one visiting this area of the lake district. The views are stunning and the passes are hairy scary. Next year I'm going to do them on the bike, it'll be hard going cycling to the summits but 'EXTREME' free riding down the other sides!!! There are some ignorant drivers who expect you to give way whilst you're maneuvering your way to the summit: If you're driving a low suspension care beware of the giant pot holes on wrynose;my Z4 nearly disappeared into one it was that big!! other than this well worth a visit

3  Thank Annette L