“A beautiful Restaurant in a beautiful town” 5 of 5 bubbles

L'Enclume
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Cuisines: European, British, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bangkok, Thailand
“A beautiful Restaurant in a beautiful town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

My Husband booked L'enclume in July and we made the journey up from Liverpool. On arrival we were directed by the restaurant staff to the check in area which was up the road from the restaurant on checking in we were taken by the hotel manager back to the restaurant which was were our room was (next door)
Reservations were booked for 7:30 and on arrival we were seated in a lovely area of the dining room, The restaurant had been notified earlier that i do not eat seafood but would eat shellfish, they amended their 20 dish menu to accommodate me (not many 2 star michelin restaurants would allow this)
The menu was delicious and was very varied indeed, we had everything from scallops to sweetbreads to samphire and beetroot, the restaurant tries to source locally and if this is not possible they try their utmost to keep it British.. The service is very relaxed and not the usually stuffy waiters that you find in some michelin places, this made for a nice and relaxed dinner, My only negatives were that the restaurant has a dress code yet it did not seem to be enforced really! and our room was unbearably HOT while i appreciate it was summer it would be better to invest in mobile air con units or some powerful fans. that saying I would most certainly return to L'enclume in the future

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kris71

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Smoke and mirrors?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Having looked forward to dining at L'enclume for several months, we were a little disappointed at our recent lunch.
My husband chose the lunchtime 30 course tasting menu(no price shown on menus) and I was impressed by the suggestions of the m'aitre de to amend the menu to reflect my dislikes, so all boded well. However, several of the teeny weeny courses delivered were rather all 'smoke and mirrors' and did not deliver quite what was promised. Fiddly presentation with various bits of wood, slate and straw and strange eating implements did not add to our enjoyment and became rather irritating. My little piece of plaice was not cooked enough to 'flake' and I chose not to eat it. One piece of my duck was undercooked and impossible to cut. These were compared to my husbands which were perfectly cooked.
When I mentioned it, the maître de spoke with 'chef' who determined that it was all cooked fine. The maître de rather patronisingly explained about the cooking process which did not explain why neither dish was cooked sufficiently, however 'was sorry it was not to my liking'. This did not sit well with me as I had not complained merely mentioned it. I can tell if food is cooked through.
Anyway, the surroundings were rather low key, with only one ladies and one gents toilet. The service was good although we were overcharged for bottled water we did not have. All in all an experience but not one to repeat, not for us anyway.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank KandCBridgend
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

This restaurants reputation speaks for itself, and what a place! The food here was absolutely incredible, so inventive and interesting, keeping you guessing with every course. As a result, the atmosphere is buzzing and the staff are some of the most professional I have ever had the privilege of being served by. Customer service is incredible, made better only by the delectable dishes. Congratulations to the team - L'enclume is a experience never to be forgotten

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sophie W
manchester
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Everything about our time at L'Enclume was first class. Some of the best food we have eaten, a great wine selection, a breakfast to die for and a stunning boutique room for the night. Ideal for a romantic night away with someone very special.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank chefshaw
Surrey
“Could You Add a 6th Star Rate? ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I were incredibly lucky and managed to get a table at L'Enclume for Sunday evening during a stay in the Lake District.

We are quite big "food fans" so were really excited by the prospect of eating here. And L'Enclume didn't disappoint. Yes, it's expensive, but you go for the experience; to experience mind-blowing flavours and tastes, for faultless service and to watch the exquisite smoothness of a Michelin-starred restaurant operation.

Make the most of your food experience and go for the wine tasting menu too. It's amazing.

1 Thank SurreyTweety