“Wow, what a taste experience!”
Review of L'Enclume

L'Enclume
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I went for a 21 course dining experience at L'enclume as a wedding present from close friends. We are fussy vegetarians and my husband can't eat some foods, so we thought we might be asking a lot to get 21 courses. Our fears were dispelled the second we arrived! We were welcomed to our table by the restaurant manager, Sam Ward, and immediately made to feel like the restaurant couldn't do enough, yet at home and comfortable at the same time. We were given a tour of the kitchens and our waiting staff, Elliot and Kate, along with their team, could not have been more lovely. The service was like a well polished machine, and we even received the menu and wine list we had eaten, as a memento. The food was exquisite... Simply exquisite. And the pace of the evening (21 courses and 9 wines to sample in 4.5 hrs) was perfect. Thank you to all we met. What a fabulous night!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We celebrated our Ruby wedding, a gift from our children, we enjoyed the tasting menu and stayed the night in one of the rooms attached to the restaurant. The meal was incredible, tasty, beautifully presented and served, each course accompanied by specially chosen champagne.

Their was humour, suprise and breakfast was superb.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I are foodies and very much like to spoil ourselves, we are blessed to be living near Henley and Marlow where there is an abundance of good bistro pubs and Michelin star restaurants. L'enclume is just terrific and deserves its rankng as number one in the UK. Set in the picturesque village of Cartmel just south of the Lake District, this is a place we will be visiting again. We had the fixed taster lunch menu for £45 per head, and whilst this is not cheep, it is fantastic value for money. The restaurant is set in a converted barn and is very relaxing. The staff were exceptional and very knowledgeable on how the food was prepared. Our taster menu consists of two starters, two main courses and two deserts.( per person) L'enclume uses all fresh produce and the menu will change periodically but the flavours created are mouthwateringly good. Next time we will push the boat out and stay the night in Cartmel and book the full taster dinner menue. (Not for the fainthearted)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

An absolutely superb meal at this restaurant . 22 courses is a little daunting to say the least, but the first few are small bitesize appetisers. Saying that, be ready for a long and filling journey.
The best thing to start with is that by reading the menu you could have no idea of what is coming and all of the courses are interesting and surprising. The service is some of the best I've experienced, balancing professionalism and friendliness, which is a difficult trick to pull off. Sam and Neil do a great job at this as do their supporting team.
The only thing I would say is that with so many courses there is more to fault , for example the first two courses were beautiful as was the Beetroot and the Beef course, all of these for me were to a 3 star standard. Some others were of a good 2 star but not as balanced.

This is just constructive criticism otherwise an amazing location and beautiful and fun meal easily worth a journey and overnight stay.
Maybe with a shorter more selective menu Mr Rogan could be our next 3 star chef , he deserves every success .

Reviewed November 7, 2013

What a wonderful experience !

I ate probably one of the best meals I have ever had last night. I was a little nervous, being a woman on my own, but really had absolutely nothing to worry about. I was extremely well looked after by Sam and his team from the moment I walked in to the restaurant.
I chose to go for the full tasting menu with the wine flight to match - I even managed to fit in the cheese course with cheeses from the wonderful Cartmel Cheese shop.
Highlights of the meal? - goodness, difficult to choose from the many perfect mouthfuls. Probably the smoked eel, the venison and fennel, the potatoes with onion ash and the milk skin, chestnut and truffle dessert.
Beautifully presented, beautifully served, very attentive and extremely knowledgable staff. I would recommend L'Enclume to anyone looking for the ultimate in dining experiences.