“Unique dining experience, a must-go for true foodies!!”
Review of L'Enclume

L'Enclume
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

21 creative courses in a surprisingly relaxed environment. Exquisite! Well worth £95 per head. Wine was reasonable. My only bug bear was being charged £14 for a flute of average English sparkling wine. However, this should in no way put you off. Would highly recommend and we will be returning!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,292)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

On our 5th visit to L'Enclume we were booked into room 19, a beautiful newly refurbished space. Unfortunately, the room is directly above the bistro kitchen, where over the course of the morning and evening you are subjected to a loud thud and wall and floor vibration caused by the staff below slamming the door of the kitchen walk in fridge. Enough to rattle a couple of glasses we had placed on the room table. I asked the receptionist if she could find the cause when it became increasingly irritating, and she had a word with the staff. Unfortunately the response to this action was even louder slamming. It spoiled what was otherwise a fabulous dining experience, as always.

1  Thank suziewong64
Reviewed August 22, 2013

WOW. WOW. WOW and wow again. What an absolute experience to behold. Greeted very warmly, genuine interest as to why we had chosen L'Enclume. (anniversary). Seated at a lovely table in the conservatory, being slighty larger than your average person I found the chairs uncomfortable, I asked if they had chairs without arms, they didn't.. THIS however was not a problem, they simply arranged for a chair from their sister restaurant to be brought over. where else would you get service like that. Now on to the food, being offered the 21 course tasting menu !! or a light lunch of 6 courses. We opted for the 6 course (which turned out to be 7). This was amazing. Each course put together with the precision of a food surgeon. My particular favourite was the Venison. I'm not going to tell you about it go try it, pray they have it on the menu when you go. the reason I say this. They simply make the menu up on the day from what the suppliers, foragers, cheese makers, vineyards provide them. This is without doubt one of the best meals I have ever had. I will be back for the 21 course. Thank you L'Enclume !!!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Seven of us ate dinner at L'Enclume to celebrate my mum's big-birthday. We had the 22 course tasting menu, with wines my dad and the sommelier had selected over the course of an email conversation in the lead up to our visit.
Four of us had visited a few years ago on Hogmanay, and my parents had been again another time.
We all stayed in a cottage 15 minutes away.

The service was perfect.
We were well taken care of by Collette, who explained every dish, (twice for my slightly deaf father), put up with his cheesy jokes, and made sure a couple of dishes were replaced with a special dish for my mum, who is intolerent to cheese.
Sam, the sommelier, was also a delight. He made us some gorgeous Lime Collins to start, based on a couple of quick question as to favourite cocktails. Try as we might, our glasses were never empty, and when it turned out a second bottle of the dessert wine could not be found, he comp'ed us another. He was very knowledgeable about the wines, and took the time to answer any questions we had.
Both were of very good humour and joined in with the conversations in a charming and non-intrusive way. I think they did this because they could tell we were a chatty lot, and their local knowledge also helped us plan the rest of our week in the Lakes.

The food, was, of course, sublime.
Over 22 courses, of course not every one would be a hit with everyone. There were some clear favourites, like the Smoked Eel with lovage (it was loaded with pork, so the eel was the predominant texture, but the pork was the taste). Some were a bit more challenging for pickier eaters, like the cockle addition to one dish.
But overall, everyone was stuffed by the end of the meal. And they gave us the bread we wisely abstained from to take home (in the most part, I mean we restricted ourselves to two of the delicious rolls, when we might have had more.)
There was only one element of the meal the wasn't instantly recognised by the team, that was a tiny anise flower, quickly identified by another waiter.
The room was lovely, we had a large table in the section between the front and back doors, which was never an issue on a warm summers evening. Since we were the largest table in the place, which seemed to be couples in the main, the atmosphere was lovely, and I think our placing meant we weren't taking over the place.
We were there from 7.00 to midnight, from pre-dinner cocktails to freshly made tea from the "tea and tissane" trolley.
The Paul Mossman pottery was another special element of the evening. We all considered how well a couple of pieces might fit in our handbags/under our coats.

Unsurprisingly, the bill was big, I mean, duh. But it was totally worth it, and we will all remember it as a truly lovely evening, and an

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the theatre of food at its very best. We had looked forward to our visit and it met every one of our expectations. The food was stunning and was a palate of colour and fusion of flavours. Twenty one courses were served impeccably. No choice of menu here, go and eat with an open mind and you too will experience one of the best meals of your life.
This is in my opinion one of the three best restaurants in the UK and probably the best value of the three, well worth its two Michelin stars.
It is more Heston Blumenthal than Raymond Blanc or Michel Roux, however I would say it is even more Noma in Copenhagen and I can’t pay a higher compliment than that, we can’t wait to visit again.