“One for the list”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2013

As others have said, for me this was a "bucket list" experience. The four of us had the 17 course taster menu seated in the conservatory. The food allergy of one of our party was carefully catered for, as it appeared were others on nearby tables. I was amazed to find that I could cope with 17 courses (I generally have a small appetite) and even managed to sample the bread!Others have described the actual dishes. The detailed complexities of each course defied my memory! Staff were knowledgable and made no attempt to try to guide you to the most expensive choices. I particularly enjoyed the wine list which had a nice selection of Loire wines which you don't usually find offered in this country. The only problem was a mistake when we came to pay the bill and found extra glasses of wine had appeared, but this was a genuine mistake quickly rectified. I enjoyed the relative informality, which suited the village location. The "meal" was expensive but reflected the experience. I'm already saving up to return.

1  Thank SunsetLancs

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My partner and I have just come back from a wonderful few days spent in Cartmel to celebrate his 50th birthday. We purchased a 2 night package which included breakfast and a tasting menu dinner at L'Enclume on one evening and a 3 course dinner at their sister restaurant, Rogan & Co.

The whole experience from start to finish was an absolute delight! When we arrived, we were shown to our room (they have rooms dotted throughout the village). It was finished to an extremely high standard and lots of attention to detail - homemade cookies, cafetiere, small fridge with fresh milk for the hot drinks and bottles of water.

On the first evening we chose to eat at Rogan & Co. We really enjoyed the meal and the service was good. Breakfast there the following morning was very good - I don't know why, but the fresh fruit salad with yoghurt is to die for! The toast and marmalade was also delicious...

The second evening... was the best dining experience I have ever had! We were warmly greeted and shown to our table in the conservatory overlooking a small river. We were given an envelope each with our individual menus inside (I don't eat meat but do eat fish, so our menus were slightly different). 5 individual canapés and a further twelve courses... Each dish looked so beautiful it was a shame to spoil them by actually eating them! The L'Enclume ethos is to use very local ingredients with as much as possible coming from their own farm and to forage for and use various plants from the surrounding area. Each dish had the addition of at least one foraged item and some were almost entirely foraged - this made the experience unique as they don't know exactly what the menu will be from day to day. As each delight was brought to us, the waiters took an interest in us and also our views of our experience. Although we didn't feel we could partake, the cheese trolley looked amazing - another place with a ritual, which I love. Cheese is worthy of worship, after all! We went back to our room 4 hours later, full but very smug and happy!

When it came to settling up at the end of our visit, we weren't charged for the extra cheese course, coffees and petit fours on the first evening or the bottled water on the second evening. A service charge wasn't even added to the bill - it was up to us if we wanted to leave a tip if we felt it was deserved! Never heard of this before at a Michelin Star restaurant!

We had such a fantastic time, I would recommend it to everyone to do it at least once! You won't be disappointed, honestly!

2  Thank tinajordan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We ate here last night and it was outstanding. At first I was a bit nervous about 17 courses (would I get bored / too full as I had done at Hipping Hall?) but it was a fantastic experience on another level from there.

Each of the courses was beautifully presented and explained in detail by the staff. The depth of flavour that the dishes contained was truly amazing and the time seemed to fly by as we made our way through the menu.

The service was excellent and in particular Sam and James made our evening very special.

From start to finish it was the perfect evening and I look forward to the next visit!

1  Thank Nicolle S
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have wanted to dine here for a long time and when the time came it was everything I had hoped for and more. The service was like a well conducted orchestra, timed perfectly, efficient, friendly and very knowledgeable and with a real passion for their product. The food was exquisite, beautifully presented and like nothing I've ever tasted before. A real 'must do' life experience. We opted for the wine flight to accompany the meal, not cheap at £60 but definitely worth it. The sommelier explained what each glass was as it was brought out and how it went with the food. However, beware of the offer of a glass of sparkling wine as an aperitif, we almost choked at the £14 per glass charge! I thought everything else was great value. The 17 courses took almost 4 hours, but the time flew by. I hope to be back again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were staying in Bowness-on-Windermere for the week and had booked in at L'Enclume for a meal and decided to stay over for the night in L'Enclume's accomodation, The Bradshaw rather than travelling back late at night. This is definately one experience I shall never forget from the minute we arrived in Cartmel to leaving the next day was amazing. We have eaten in some wonderful restaurants but this was outstanding, I chose the vegetarian menu for a change as the food sounded so exciting and intriguing, I love my meat but I have to say this was by far the best vegetarian food I have ever tasted, the flavours were bursting from each plate of food I had. My husband was blown away with his food and enjoyed every mouthful. The wine we had was lovely, the staff were professional and friendly. I am so glad we made the journey to eat at this divine restaurant, if you are ever staying not too far from Cartmel then book in at L'Enclume you will wonder why you had not been sooner.

2  Thank Kathryn B