“Special....”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a lovely birthday lunch this week. The staff were friendly, knowledgable and gave great service. 6 course lunch was great and would recommend. We ate at 12.30 and bit quiet when we arrived as we like a bit of atmosphere so I'd book for 1.30pm if went again. The waiter suggested a Kent Pinot Noir which was surprisingly good as I'd never had an English wine before.

Personalised menu's were a nice touch, would return.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

2nd time here, 1st after 2* status -Simon Rogan and his fantastic team of young and enthusiastic chefs, waiters, sommeliers and managers make this place different from all the rest. I read restaurant reviews, watched the man on TV last year- I think he's got the balance of accomplished cooking, the type of which us keen cooks will always enjoy yet never wish to recreate at home, with un-stuffy and comfortable dining.
Book a room, go to Cartmel, enjoy

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went mid-week, in the first week in January, and the place was packed! It shows just how strong a reputation Mr Rogan has and, after our first visit, I can see why. This multiple course feast was delicious, challenging and funny, sometimes all at once! The myriad flavour combinations and culinary constructions were mind boggling in the ingenuity and intensity and it was a genuine thrill to experience. My only gripe was with an aspect of the service - not the superb table waiting staff who were attentive, informative and relaxed - but with the sommelier. We opted for the wine tasting option to accompany the meal and, despite a few prompts, found his efforts at engaging with us on his wine choices perfunctory at best. I would have thought any customer seeking further details on his selections would have been met with some enthusiasm, but this was not the case. Anyway, a minor gripe and it certainly didn't spoil what was a superb dinner and a wonderful evening. We shall return!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hubby treated me for a special birthday and I was not disappointed absolutely fabulous.
The service and food both excellent well worth the money
17 courses all beautifully presented ... You may not love every course ( there was one course I wasn't keen on artichoke) but it was an experience.
13 savoury and 4 sweet a perfect split for me. Lots of fish courses but if you are a meat lover as my husband is you may be a little disappointed as we only had one meat course
It is quite expensive but worth every penny and we will go back again ...... Enjoy

1  Thank cathysav
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our third visit to L'Enclume and it was as good as I remembered. We had the 17 course vegetarian lunch.

I would struggle to chose a favourite dish, but onions with English truffle was suberb as was the artichoke with goats cheese. Even the seaweed crisp appetizer was lovely - the only time I've ever been able to eat seaweed.

The cheese trolley has a wonderful selection of cheese, all perfectly ripe. We didn't have the cheese as we'd then have been unable to manage the desserts.

If you want to impress a vegetarian, take them to L'Enclume.