“Superb Autumn Birthday Break”
Review of Cavendish Arms

Cavendish Arms
Ranked #2 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Superb Autumn Birthday Break”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Cavendish Arms occupies a beautiful setting in the medieval and historic village of Cartmel, South Lakes. Steeped in history, this olde worlde hotel of some 500 years offers quintessential English hospitality. The hotel and it's rooms are furnished with antiques and an English charm of yesteryear. The cosy open fireside is perfect to sit in after a long walk, enjoy the conversation of locals and the smiling service of the staff in the characterful bar serving quality beers and wines. The food is locally sourced and cooked freshly on the premises.

After years of visiting this gorgeous venue for light lunches and afternoon drinks, we stayed for a three night break to celebrate my partner's birthday. Richard and his friendly and professional team made us feel very welcome and we were lavished with wonderful food and drink!

I would highly recommend The Cavendish Arms to any visitor to Cartmel!

1 Thank LadyAnnMullins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights on a last minute deal. We had a good time here, but the hotel is looking a bit tired and dated, all it needs is a coat of paint and updated curtains and covers for the bed (we stayed in room 1) a small 4 poster bed with a shower en suite (which needs some mould remover in the shower), all this said we had some very nice food and the satff were very friendly.
We would stay here again, but I think all the hotels efforts of late have been put into the rooms above their shop Perfect English, it would be a shame not to update what you already have as this could also be amazing in a more traditional way.

1 Thank deeray83
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked the Cavendish Arms because we were eating nearby at Rogan and Company.
The hotel in the centre of Cartmell is well located but a word of warning to anyone wanting to use the hotel car park which only has access by a very narrow entrance. The hotel is full of 'character' which means that the some of the rooms ( e.g Room 6 ) have a door lower than 5' and very sloping floors. Our room 3 was pleasant but was sited above the kitchen and consequently we got the full benefit of all the cooking smells. A good choice of beer in the bar but the prices are not cheap at almost £4 a pint. The food at breakfasts whilst not particularly large portions was of a good standard.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 above the kitchens
4 Thank david H
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Simon Rogan obviously attracts a fair number of visitors to Cartmel to eat at L'Enclume or his other establishments, including now the Robinson's Pig and Whistle pub. Quite a few obviously eat out in the other places. The Cavendish Arms has more the feel of a traditional Lakeland pub, with crackling fire, bare wooden tables and chairs, and decent range of beers. There's a dining room with white table-cloths and attentive service. The menu has a good choice of more bar-orientated items and a short list of starters and mains, relying as you might expect round here on locally sourced quality ingredients. There were a few blackboard specials, and we enjoyed our robustly cooked dishes. The cheese board was particularly appreciated - not some huge trolley but a small selection on a slate. We enjoyed ourselves.

2 Thank RogerTomlinson
UK
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We felt really comfy here. The meal was great with the best sticky toffee pudding! The breakfast was also fab. Best of all were the staff - just lovely - not too pushy - as we found at the other pubs in the village. If you like proper service, a real fire and relaxed atmosphere - this is for you. The village is also brilliant - nice gift shops and local based food shops. Thanks for having us!

2 Thank Trudie
Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you ever in Cartmel looking for somewhere to eat, then I recommend the Cavendish Arms.

It was our first night staying in Cartmel and decided we were too tired to cook so went out for a bite to eat. We liked to look of the Cavendish Arms and as we were given such a warm welcome when we popped our head in the door and asked if they had a table free we decided to stay.

I ordered the soup of the day, which was the best homemade potato and leek soup I have had in a very long time and my husband had spinach and ricotta tartlet which he fininshed off before I even got halfway through my soup it was so good! For our mains we both chose from the specialities on the board, The sausages and mash my husband had were very tasty and the steak and ale pie I had was great too. After such great good we both decided it would be shame not to try the desserts, and boy we were not disappointed. My husband declared that his sticky toffee pudding was the best he had ever had and my cherry sherry trifle brought a smile to my face.

The staff were friendly and considerate and I would not hesitate going back for another meal.

1 Thank Quartzanne
Cumbria
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We recenetly stayed with friends and teh Cavendish's offshoot rooms above Perfect English. The rooms were lovely, spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was served at the Cavendish and it too was lovely.

The reason i've said, not perfect, is for two reasons. There wasn't a shower in the bathroom and most people like to shower and more improtantly the owners wife WON'T allow him to have black pudding on the menu, which for me, and my friends, makes a perfect English breakfast!

1 Thank dmandoodle
mrcav, Owner at Cavendish Arms, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
to clarify the shower for future guests, there is a bath with 'telephone' style shower in all Perfect English rooms. as for no Black pudding at breakfast. I was only joking that my wife WON'T let me have it on the menu!!!! Now I'm in trouble with my wife for using her as an excuse!!!!!!!! OMG. What have you started.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#9 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Cavendish Arms? Share your experiences!