“More traditional pub dining in gastro village”
Review of Cavendish Arms

Cavendish Arms
Ranked #2 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“More traditional pub dining in gastro village”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Simon Rogan obviously attracts a fair number of visitors to Cartmel to eat at L'Enclume or his other establishments, including now the Robinson's Pig and Whistle pub. Quite a few obviously eat out in the other places. The Cavendish Arms has more the feel of a traditional Lakeland pub, with crackling fire, bare wooden tables and chairs, and decent range of beers. There's a dining room with white table-cloths and attentive service. The menu has a good choice of more bar-orientated items and a short list of starters and mains, relying as you might expect round here on locally sourced quality ingredients. There were a few blackboard specials, and we enjoyed our robustly cooked dishes. The cheese board was particularly appreciated - not some huge trolley but a small selection on a slate. We enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RogerTomlinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
UK
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We felt really comfy here. The meal was great with the best sticky toffee pudding! The breakfast was also fab. Best of all were the staff - just lovely - not too pushy - as we found at the other pubs in the village. If you like proper service, a real fire and relaxed atmosphere - this is for you. The village is also brilliant - nice gift shops and local based food shops. Thanks for having us!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trudie
Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you ever in Cartmel looking for somewhere to eat, then I recommend the Cavendish Arms.

It was our first night staying in Cartmel and decided we were too tired to cook so went out for a bite to eat. We liked to look of the Cavendish Arms and as we were given such a warm welcome when we popped our head in the door and asked if they had a table free we decided to stay.

I ordered the soup of the day, which was the best homemade potato and leek soup I have had in a very long time and my husband had spinach and ricotta tartlet which he fininshed off before I even got halfway through my soup it was so good! For our mains we both chose from the specialities on the board, The sausages and mash my husband had were very tasty and the steak and ale pie I had was great too. After such great good we both decided it would be shame not to try the desserts, and boy we were not disappointed. My husband declared that his sticky toffee pudding was the best he had ever had and my cherry sherry trifle brought a smile to my face.

The staff were friendly and considerate and I would not hesitate going back for another meal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Quartzanne
Cumbria
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We recenetly stayed with friends and teh Cavendish's offshoot rooms above Perfect English. The rooms were lovely, spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was served at the Cavendish and it too was lovely.

The reason i've said, not perfect, is for two reasons. There wasn't a shower in the bathroom and most people like to shower and more improtantly the owners wife WON'T allow him to have black pudding on the menu, which for me, and my friends, makes a perfect English breakfast!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmandoodle
mrcav, Owner at Cavendish Arms, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
to clarify the shower for future guests, there is a bath with 'telephone' style shower in all Perfect English rooms. as for no Black pudding at breakfast. I was only joking that my wife WON'T let me have it on the menu!!!! Now I'm in trouble with my wife for using her as an excuse!!!!!!!! OMG. What have you started.
lancashire
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just returned from a one night stay at the Cavendish Arms. We stayed in Room 10 and can not understand why it is criticised. We had a fabulous time. The staff were warm and welcoming as was the room. The luxury of a bath was fantastic after a hard days mountain biking and there was plenty of hot water. We had dinner there, sat next to the lit log fire, which was superb. We could not have asked for any more for breakfast, a fantastic full English, full of local produce. Excellent good value place to stay. will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunlover44Lancashire
england
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Lovely short notice overnight stay, staff very attentive and pleasant from when you enter the hotel to leaving, all local pumped beers lovely, as is the bill of Fayre, or a place for rowdy groups, but cartmel isn't. Breakfast superb. Room old worldly in keeping with the hotel, all in all would stay again.

Room Tip: Read trip advisors reviews, you can't go wrong, not often anyway
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pinkfairyEngland
glasgow
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed a couple of nights here - room small and bed very hard for partner with sore back- memory foam mattresses required! Overall though I liked it and the small room was comfy enough and like living in a 400 year old place and completely in keeping! The food was great and the Staff friendly. By far the best place I have stayed at in the Lakes and easily the best value - well done and keep up the great food !

Room Tip: Can be noisy in the morning with deliveries but you are in the thick of the Village after all.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jay A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#4 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
Abbot Hall Hotel
Abbot Hall Hotel
#10 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to Cavendish Arms? Share your experiences!