“Appaulling Customer Service”
Review of The Engine Inn

The Engine Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional "Country Pub" providing "posh pub food" 7 days per week with a traditional Sunday roast weekly. Recently refurbished comfortable rooms at very reasonable rates.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Before booking a meal at this Inn you may want to read this - I booked a table for 8 (5 adults and 3 children) for 5pm on Saturday 10th November and having enjoyed a great walk through Grange, across Hampsfell, through Cartmel and into Cark for four hours we arrived on time for our booking. After being directed to our table by the barmaid we were approached by a male who worked for the Inn who was completely obnoxious, unhelpful and downright rude which resulted in us deciding to go elsewhere for our meal.

The employee complained about our dogs who were wet which should have come as no surprise as it had been raining for most of the last hour of our walk to cark. The floor was a little wet as the dogs approached the table, however, there were other dogs and humans whose feet, to no surprise, were also wet. The employee asked if we had a towel to dry the dogs but we had not, I asked if he had a towel and he said he had not, however, the Inn has its own dog as I ate there two weeks ago so he could have easily provided one - it may have been that someone or something had spilt his milk earlier on in the afternoon and he vented his frustration at us.

He asked if we could do something with the dogs, I asked if he had a suggestion to which he responded tying them up outside of the pub, however, given our dogs are pedigree and well behaved and cost over £750 each I advised we could not tie them up. He walked away without taking our orders for drink or food and without offering any further help, he simply ignored us.

My children (all under 12) were hungry given the length of our walk and we did nothing to offend or say anything untowards to receive such an appauling response from this person and whilst the landlady was the complete opposite two weeks earlier when we had visited the Inn we will certainly not be returning to the Engine again and would definately advise you not to visit particularly if it has been raining and you happen to have a wet dog with you!

1  Thank Johnflaherty
Chris_Adshead, Manager at The Engine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

In response to your review. We are a dog friendly pub and as you have stated we have a dog ourselves. However if our dog comes in wet from a walk we dry him before we allow him in the pub, as do our other customers who bring dogs in. Your dogs were sodden and muddy as were yourselves. I had a complaint at the bar from another customer who said that your dogs were shaking themselves all over them whilst they were eating and that the smell from your dogs was unbearable. I have a duty of care to other customers, and customers who would like to continue to use the pub after you leave. I don't think my requests were unreasonable but as my requests were met with a stern no! I decided to walk away rather than cause a scene. I may have lost a sale from yourselves but I think I would have lost much more if you had stayed. I also happen to know that the next pub you went into also refused to allow your dogs in.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My partner & i were camping at a nearby campsite & some friends recommended the pub.
Inside has a warm and welcoming feel. We both had some food which was excellent and reasonablely priced too. Service was good & no pressure to buy more food & drinks like many places try on these days. We will definatly visit again when in the area.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed a very good meal but we did think it was a little pricey. Well stocked bar and dog friendly

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I live locally and regularly eat and drink at the engine inn. I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal, the food is always cooked to a high standard, and the staff are always friendly and helpful. It's a shame that negative reviews get put on here as these people clearly don't know what they are talking about! Well worth a visit if you get the chance.

1  Thank Liz4365

Thank you for your wonderful review. We pride ourselves on creating a great atmosphere and providing great food and drink. Fantastic reviews make all the hard work the staff and ourselves put into the business worthwhile. Have you taken advantage of our 10% food and wine discount card for return customers?

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Poor service .cocked up order ..still waiting whilst my friends hsve eaten theres...starter still frozen from iceland....

1  Thank p17ddy
Chris_Adshead, Manager at The Engine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

People who visit the pub on a regular basis will tell you to treat this review with the contempt it deserves. If you have a genuine complaint I sugest coming to see us to give us a chance to put things right rather than hide behind an anonymous review,
Kind regards