“Fantastic Hotel in a Beautiful Location.”
Review of Uplands Hotel

Uplands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cartmel
“Fantastic Hotel in a Beautiful Location.”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Just home from a wonderful bank holiday weekend. Neil, Sue and family are great hosts and we cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

The views from our room were spectacular and the cooked breakfast in the morning delicious.

Given that it was Cartmel Races this weekend there was understandably a long wait for taxis and we had a cooler box and chairs in tow so Neil so kindly offered to drop us off... and pick us up!

Not only were the family wonderful hosts but great company. Thoroughly enjoyed having a few beers with them
on returning home from the races... which might I add is a fabulous day out. My girlfriend and I love Cartmel and having stayed at this hotel would not stay anywhere else. Thanks so much for a lovely weekend.

Mike and Beth.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mike1603
Responduplands, Owner at Uplands Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Hi Mike and Beth,

Thank you for taking the time to review.

We really enjoyed spending time with you during your stay with us. I'm glad you had a great time both at the races and with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future. :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the winster room which was clean and well kept and the hotel had made best use of the available space :) shower always warm no matter time of day which is always a plus :) we ate in the restaurant on the first night and had a three course meal which I can only describe as gourmet wholesome 'pub' grub - which was cooked to perfection and tasted great :) would defo recommend this hotel and its restaurant to anybody who is considering a stay here :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carly-Anne G
Hi

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply - I'm sure you can appreciate it is rather busy at the minute.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We enjoyed having you and your husband stay with us for your anniversary. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Many thanks :-)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The hotel is situated in between Cartmel and Grange, with both within a (hilly) walking distance. The hotel staff are helpful and friendly without being intrusive. The room was clean, spacious and modern, but the highlight was the fried breakfast. Superb sausages, bacon with crispy fat (a rare beast in a hotel or cafe), delicious black pudding, really tasty portabella mushroom, and to top it all off, decent scrambled egg (which seems impossible to find anywhere else). I've had a good number of cooked breakfasts in the last few months in a range of establishments, and this was the best so far. The hotel also has a well-priced bar with local beers, and a beer garden with excellent views.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply - I'm sure you can appreciate we have been rather busy lately.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the chef was over the moon to read your comments about her breakfast.

Hopefully we will see you again soon :-)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We booked a 2 night stay here as we were going to Cartmel races.

I don't like to be too negative of the place because the downstairs bar and dining area was lovely, and the owners & staff very warm and friendly, but we were very disappointed with our room (Winster). However, it may be one of the rooms yet to be renovated.

The Good:
It's a dog friendly hotel, so if you're a dog owner you can take your best friend with you.

The owners/staff are very warm and friendly, and they provide great evening entertainment (Evie Plumb - singer/pianist) & relaxed atmosphere.

There is a lovely garden, and the hotel is set in a lovely peaceful location.

Breakfast was good - and the sausages (as per other reviews), were really tasty!

The breakfast/dining area is light and airy, which good decor.

The Bad:
If you're not a dog owner, and allergic to pet hair (like I am), this is not a good place for you.

I think the previous guests must have had a dog with them, and although the room and bathroom looked clean, I found animal hairs behind the door in the bathroom. And, despite taking anti-histamines and nasal spray daily, I was 'extra-itchy' during this weekend.

The room itself (Winster) was also very small, with a low ceiling (although looks bigger on the website), and in need of renovation.

There were cobwebs in every alcove (inc. inside the 'built-in' wardrobe/cupboard) and as the ceiling is very low, this was hard to miss, and wouldn't have been difficult to clean. I counted 4 live spiders (3 in the bedroom and one in the bathroom).

I don't particularly like spiders (something I'm not alone in, hence my mentioning it), but thankfully am not an arachnophobe so didn't have a melt-down!

Also, there was no headboard on the bed - maybe it's just me, but I thought this unusual.

After dropping off the bags, we decided to go outside to enjoy a drink in the sun, but unfortunately all the seats were taken on the patio, and despite there being a huge lawned area, there was no-where else to sit (there was one table on the lawn, but it was occupied).

The evening meal was disappointing too, but perhaps it was the chef's night off (as other reviewers have raved about the food).

Finally, and this is no reflection on the owners of the hotel, but if you want to walk into Cartmel, you are dicing with death! There are no pavements on the road, which is very narrow, and often no grass verge either - the road is very busy and the drivers drive very fast.

I really don't like to be negative, and much prefer to give positive reviews for places I've been, but Trip Advisor is designed for honest reviews and you only get one chance to make a first impression. Sadly, our first impression was not very good, but other rooms in this hotel look lovely, and have obviously been refurbished.

I have seen that the owners respond to all their posts, which is to their credit, and I hope that they can improve on the things I have mentioned.

Room Tip: Don't go for the Winster unless it's been renovated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Squidgy_McGoo
Responduplands, Owner at Uplands Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Firstly, we would like to say thank you for taking the time to review. We appreciate anyone that takes the time to leave their comments. Hopefully, I can address some of your issues in this response.

1) We are really pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment. We work hard to provide variety for our guests whilst ensuring that the entertainment is not too full on or over the top. I'm sure as a local singer/songwriter, Evie will be pleased with your compliment.

2) Eventhough we are a dog friendly hotel we do take extra care in cleaning the rooms after one has stayed with us. Admittedly, there should not have been any dog hairs left and for that I apologise. However, if it had been mentioned at the time we would have ensured it was taken care of during the servicing of your room whilst you were staying with us.

3) Unfortunately, as the hotel is situated in two acres of gardens in the countryside spiders are frequent visitors to the premises. Furthermore, as it takes only an hour to spin a web, cobwebs and spiders webs can be hard to control. The ones you mentioned in your review will have been taken care of when your room was being serviced.

4) We only took over the hotel 12 months ago and at the time it was in need of many improvements. We had to proritise these carefully. Since we took over the electrics have been improved (we recently passed our fire inspection with flying colours), the kitchen has undergone some work (just this week we have been awarded 5 Stars by Environmental Health for the standard of our kitchen) and as you will have seen from previous reviews, all of the showers have been fixed to provide adequate shower pressure.
We felt that these improvements took priority over the aesthetic improvements of the rooms. However, that is not to say it is not important to us. One of the rooms has undergone a full refurbishment and just last week Winster received some improvements. We have now installed a headboard, new curtains, cushions, pictures and ornaments to make the room more welcoming. Photos of which will be on the website shortly. A full refurbishment of the room will take place at a later date.

5) It was disappointing to read your comments about the food. It was the same Chef that has received all the compliments previously. If this was mentioned on the night then it would have been dealt with immediately but issues with food cannot be remedied after the fact.

6) I'm sorry your first impression of the hotel was not good. We strive to make guests feel welcome such as providing complimentary tea or coffee delivered to their room on arrival. Hopefully if you choose to visit again, then your impression then will be the as positive as the vast many of guests that stay here and choose to return.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Many thanks,

Julie
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Just had a two night stay here and was lovely but really disappointed with our 'upgraded' room. Is was tired, shabby and the bathroom stuck in an 70's time warp. We were a little concerned to out things in drawers as they were dusty and had hairs in. I really struggle to see how this can be an upgraded room and the room we had (Levens) does not match up to what other people have been saying about their rooms! If it hadn't have been for the view, it would not have been a room I would have wanted to stay in. On the positive - great food although breakfast this morning not a patch on Sundays and must have been a different chef as my poached eggs were rock hard and bacon dry and over cooked. Everything else had been delicious. Love the downstairs space with the airy feel and original features plus again fab views. Staff all lovely and the Amazon deal for 3nightx DB&B was very good value.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Responduplands, Owner at Uplands Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
I was disappointed to read your review and discover that you were not entirely happy with your stay.
I will check the drawers in your room as the are cleaned on a regular basis and we are very keen on cleanliness as you will have seen in other reviews
The rooms are due to be refurbished but we have only been here since July and we have had to prioritise work.However in saying that a lot of people as you will have read do like the room.
I can only apologise about your breakfast on Monday and if you had told the waitress we could have got you another breakfast we can only fix what we know about.
Glad you enjoyed the downstairs of the hotel and the food. AT least the weather was very good for you, hope you had a safe journey home
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Myself, my partner and my 5 month old puppy have just returned from a great stay at this lovely hotel. The room was very clean, good coffee and tea facilities and the linen smelt gorgeous! Also, our bathroom was huge! So refreshing! We stayed for 2 nights with breakfast and a 2 course meal included. The food was very good, really hot, perfectly cooked steaks and beautiful full English breakfast. The sausages were awesome!
The service was really good overall and nothing was too much trouble. We really did have a lovely time, and our puppy Agnes enjoyed herself too! Will definitely be returning to this little gem.

Thank you for a truly exquisite stay in your lovely hotel. 5*!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenni S
Responduplands, Owner at Uplands Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the lovely review you have left us. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will make sure that the Chef's see your comments about the food as they do work hard to ensure you enjoy your food.
Customer service is very important to us as we are a small hotel we can get to know people.
We hope to see you again in the future
Reviewed June 7, 2014

On our second night of a three night stay in this fantastic hotel.Upgraded to to room with a fabulous view and we were delighted with the room.The staff are so friendly and nothing is any bother to them.The food is first class and a wide range of choices on the menu.if we had one complaint it would be that the food portions are too big.Havnt yet managed the sticky toffee pudding.This is a dog friendly hotel and out chocolate lab,Lucy is having a ball in the beautiful grounds.We read all the reviews before we came and don't think we saw one bad one.We will definitely be back .Well done to the owners and staff.You are doing a fantastic job.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to to room with a better view and if you are worried about bringing your dog,Don...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean P
Responduplands, Owner at Uplands Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you so much for the lovely review
We are so glad you and your dog enjoyed your visit, my dog certainly enjoyed running around with her
The comments you have written regarding staff and the food were a delight to read and we hope to see you back again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Uplands Hotel? Share your experiences!