“A gastronomic experience like no other”
Review of L'Enclume

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cartmel
L'Enclume
Ranked #4 of 15 Cartmel B&B and Inns
“A gastronomic experience like no other”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here after securing a last minute booking (someone had cancelled) - we were lucky because Saturday nights are booked up until July. Our room was in L'Enclume House, a short walk from the hotel. The room was lovely but there was a shortage of hot water!

Our meal was unlike anything we've had before. 17 courses (£95!) some of which were good, some less so - but none were stunning. The cheese course was extra, as was coffee - I don't understand why restaurants do this, other than to fleece you. The worst course for me was venison tartare - the menu didn't state tartare, and I didn't ask. Personal choice obviously, but definitely not for me!

Service was good although you have a succession of different waiters - some I could understand, some I struggled to understand as they described each course. All were very enthusiastic.

We had the wine flight (£60) which matched the food perfectly.

Breakfast was lovely.

I'm glad we've experienced L'Enclume - but not sure I would return,

Oh, and to the couple who turned up to breakfast in gym gear and flip-flops - no need.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here valentines night and had a fantastic experience. I have also posted a separate review of the restaurant. This is for the hotel. We arrived at about 2pm, thought we might have to wait as the website said most rooms were available from 3pm but we were allocated a room immediately. I had booked a standard room but for the first time ever we were given a free upgrade to a superior room which was fantastic. If you get there early enough there is parking right outside the front door. Franck on reception was excellent. Very welcoming and showed us immediately to the room. It was huge with a walk in wardrobe and a very nice, spacious bathroom. Cookies, water, tea & coffee making facilities and some out of this world chocolates were left for us along with personalised welcome note. We had a reservation at the restaurant and upon check in, they went through our dietary requirements which reassured us that this had been taken into account. I have read other reviews about noise and I can see why this would be an issue. Whilst in our room we were immediately above reception and you could hear everything in the whole house. We were fortunate in that it didn't affect our sleep quality which was great thanks to the biggest bed I think I have ever seen! The building is so old that I think they must be limited in what action they can take to sound proof it but I read somewhere that they were looking into it. The only issue we had was the hot water ran out as we were getting ready to go out and dine. This could have been a nightmare had it been me getting the 2nd shower but my other half wasn't too bothered. It was lovely and hot the next morning. The shower was very powerful and easy to use - no standing there under cold water trying to fathom out what to press/push/twist! This is a luxury place that I would definitely recommend. Very well located right opposite the priory and literally a 2 minute walk (if that) from L'Enclume restaurant.

Room Tip: Room 11 is a superior room. Bradshaw suite is on the ground floor next to reception, one which I bel...
2 Thank treaclecheggs
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A very personalised service, with being escorted to our bedroom door, to finding personalised greetings left on our bed and being greeted our by our names. The room was clean, comfortable, warm and homely. The bed was like falling into a personally moulded gel, the sheets clean and crisp. The breakfast was great, excellent choice, fresh and satisfying (no fine dining portions here). My only grump was it was missing some real Yorkshire tea, proper strong tea. The tea delivered was loose tea and despite leaving it to 'brew' for a while still poured like dishwater and tasted as much. Please note, some of us dont mind a good ole tea bag - we are British after all!

Room Tip: Our room was located just round the corner from the restaurant...staggering distance bliss.
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

TThis review is based on 1.5 nights in the Bradshaw room and 0.5 nights in room 15. It has been written to take into account the response I have had to my complaint which was dealt with very professionally and to my satisfaction. At the foot of the review are the responses from the hotel in relation to how they plan to deal with the room.

THE REVIEW:

If you are going to stay at L'Enclume do NOT stay in the Bradshaw Room.

On the positive side the room is large, well appointed, tastefully decorated and bed is huge and very comfortable (which makes the lack of sleep even more annoying). The village is tiny and quiet and the short walk to the restaurant is not an issue. The reasons for the poor rating are set out below.

Originally I booked a Deutz package for the 4th February which was to celebrate our 24th anniversary. I booked the Bradshaw Room which was listed as "Superior". On arrival I noted that it was exactly next to Reception, something which isn't mentioned in the information on the website. It was also right next to the store room.

The room was nicely presented but I did note that there were a number of areas where the paint was cracked and peeling, particularly in the bathroom where there was also mould on the walls. There were other problems with the bathroom as well in that the shelf in the shower was loose and nearly fell off and the plug/drain was either blocked or ill fitting as the room quickly filled with water when showering to the extent that it was around the base of the toilet. Also the fan seemed ineffective as the bathroom mirror was still "fogged" twenty minutes after showering.

The real issue was the noise. Other than when there was no-one in reception and no-one in the room above the noise was constant. We could hear absolutely everything that was going on in reception with people coming and going and phone calls being made and staff going in and out of the store room. Then there was the bigger problem of the room above. We may as well have been sharing a room with the occupants because we could hear every single step, every single conversation and every single "bodily action" that took place. I must make it clear that the occupants of the room above were not being "loud" but the creaking of the floor etc. was constant.

On the first night we tried to laugh it off but it is possible that one or both of the occupants may have had a bladder problem because they were up to the toilet every hour or so. Again, there is no blame on them but we were constantly awoken by creaking floorboard and flushing toilets. So having had very little sleep we tried to make the most of our second day but we were just shattered. We ended up going back to bed in the afternoon to try and get some sleep so that we could enjoy our second night out but this was just not possible due to noise from reception and the floor above.

So eventually, still very tired, we went out for a meal (more on that later) and came back to the room early because we were falling asleep. We had not been in bed long when the couple above came back to the hotel and the lady tried to get into our room (I heard the man tell her she could not go into the Bradshaw Room). They went went to their room and the noise started. We did hope that they would settel quickly and not be up every hour or so but this was not to be the case.

The final straw came when we heard the gentleman get up and go to the toilet and we could actually actually hear his "stream" as he relieved himself.

The only reasons we didn't pack up and leave immediately were because I had drunk two pints earlier and also the thought of a two and a half hour drive after that much lack of sleep would not have been safe.

I sent a text to the "emergency" number and a lady came to our room and apologised and offered us room 15. Having not been sleeping the option we had was to get up, get dressed, gather such items as we would need through night (drinks, toiletries etc) and then go outside and up some stairs and then settle into a new room before getting up in the morning and gathering our things together and going back to our room.

As the noise from upstairs continued (and I stress again that the couple upstairs are blameless) we decided to try the other room. By this time we were very stressed and upset and it took quite some time to settle. There was no noise from the other rooms but this was replaced by the air-con machine cycling on and off every half hour or so. Had we not been so tired when we got to room 15 we may have taken the time to look at the instructions and turn it off.

So we finally got up at 6.15 and went back to our room and packed our belongings away. By then it was 7.10 and there was no-one on reception so we left a note and the keys and left. When I returned home I got in touch via e-mail and later the manager called me.

I was given a full refund for the second night and a discount from the 1st. The salient points were these:
1 They are aware of the noise issues. Given the building's listed status there is little they are allowed to do but are in discussions with a builder as to how this can be improved such as better underlay etc.
2 They have two days planned (in February 2013) in order to sort out the paint, shower and drainage issues in the bathroom.

10 Thank Dave M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went as a part of 4 for dinner on a Tuesday night - nicely laid out/decorated restaurant (used to be an old forge), tables well spaced, good meet/greet, young and friendly staff did a good job of serving/explaining menu - well, what's going to arrive, as there's only the tasting menu (see my pic).

The first 5 mini courses come as starters - wow, some great flavours there both individually, and for the dishes as a whole. not too many foams and liquid nitrogen, and interesting to see several locally-foraged ingredients throughout.

Allow 2.5 to 3 hours for the whole thing to be served. Wine list extensive, with some good-value new world wines for those not wishing to break the bank - we had a nice Catena and a nice Franschoek white.

Tip: there is no a la carte menu, nor does the price appear on the tasting menu.

We'd recently eaten at the 2 star Corton in New York which offers a similar number of dishes on the tasting menu, and we reckoned this place had a slight edge on the food front, and Corton on the preciseness of how things are presented - but that's just us being picky, this for me was up there as one of the two best meals ever eaten in terms of overall culinary experience.

All four of us thoroughly enjoyed it, all rated it as excellent. Allow £125 a head if you're careful with the wine choice, like us!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jeremy r
Wigan
Reviewed January 18, 2013

L'Enclume restaurant has a number of room situated in Cartmel village, therefore depending on which room you have means you can have a 100 or 200 yard walk for dinner & breakfast. Necessary information in the winter!
No 11 is at L'Enclume House(furthest away) but also holds the hotel reception. The room is large, airy with a well stocked bathroom using organic products. My only moan is that the room is dark but so are many hotel rooms these days!

Room Tip: See review with respect to checking location of room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rossendale
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having seen Simon on Great British Menu it was only a matter of time before we ventured to Cartmel to sample his 17 course tasting menu. What an experience this was. The techniques and presentation used by his chefs were incredible, it was artistry on a plate as well as being a complete taste experience.
One negative for me was the £60 wine selection was not outstanding and with hindsight would probably have opted for our own choices.
It is probably a one off as it was such a special night and repeating this could be a disappointment - maybe you just need to wait a while. Simon is, I believe, in the midst of taking over the two restaurants at the Midland Hotel in Manchester so we may in fact try that at some point, maybe for the set lunch menu.
I feel I must comment on the feedback given by two other reviewers regarding the quality of the rooms, we also stayed in Room 4 and our friends stayed in the Garden Suite. The review about Room 4 was very unkind and really unjustified and our friends were very happy with the Garden Suite. I would say that they are probably overpriced for the location.
If you decide to visit L'Enclume remember why you are going - this is a taste experience you will never forget so don't let anyone put a negative spin on this for you, just enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank magstoto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartmel
Aynsome Manor Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
Hampsfell House Hotel
Hampsfell House Hotel
#4 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to L'Enclume? Share your experiences!