“Nice cosy atmosphere”

Cavendish Arms Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cavendish Arms Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Cartmel
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We have gone to great lengths to try and use only local produce and suppliers, thus ensuring our quality is always of a very high standard for our guests to enjoy. At The Cavendish Arms you are always guaranteed a warm welcome.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just had my 50th birthday celebration at the Cavendish, good food, good wine. We were well looked after by the staff and the log fire adds to a nice atmosphere. Good time had by all.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We recently had a party of 30 there for a 2 course meal and also 10 of the party stayed there too. All the staff were very welcoming and considering we took over the pub they coped well! I would say that even though the food was tasty there wasnt a huge amount of it but I presume that was down to the number of us! Also I found the drinks quite expensive.

1  Thank NicolaH321
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved it and went twice yesterday. Great value for food and wines and the table service was excellent and staff friendly and genuine

3  Thank Margaret R
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Eating in cartmel on sunday night before heading back home from our day trip out we thought we would try the cavendish arms out and i now wish i had just gone home hungry, first of all the place feels like a cold unloved 70's pub which wasnt very clean it was not busy so we sat down and haddrinks the beer isnt good only thing good about it was the fact it was wet and the price well dont go light pocketed, the food well i had the steak pie and it looked and tasted like dog food not what you would expect from a pie the service was well non-existent would avoid this place and will be trying else where in future weeks

1  Thank dean w
mrcav, Owner at Cavendish Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

I notice you also reviewed the Pig and Whistle just ten minutes later! Mmmmmm.
I normally start by apologising to complaints but on this occasion I feel this is not necessary
As I suspect this may be a malicious review.
However just in case I am very wrong I would like to respond to your claims.
you visited on a half term weekend where on the 22nd October our final meal count was over 100 ( hardly quiet)
. This pub is 500 years old and decorated sympathetically to its age NOT to a 1970 time warp as you describe ( how many antiques came from the 1970s ???
I can only take your word for the steak and ale pie tasting like dog food.... As unlike the reviewer, I have fever eaten dog food.
We work very close with the owners of the Pig and Whistle (ps this business is owned by a michelin starred chef) whilst the pub itself is not michelin rated, in my opinion you are highly unlikely to receive anything except high quality and standards when you visit the Pig and Whistle ,and just wonder if these reviews are genuine or the work of a third party.
I have tried to contact the reviewer via contact details on the site but as yet there is no response.
All in all I have owned the Cavendish for ten successful years and intend to carry on doing as I do, because deep down even after such people try to make me, my family and staff look inadequate, I know the Cavendish is a well run, professional and ethical business that would not dream of posting bad reviews of other establishments, especially in such difficult trading times as we all find ourselves in at the moment. For any potential visitors who read this or any other negative review that may appear in the future please be cautious of its authenticity, and check the reviewers profile to make your own conclusion.
Best regards
Richard English. ( NOT anonymous).

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Enjoyed a lovely meal by the fire on the Sunday evening of our stay in Cartmel. A warm welcome was offered as we were shown to a free table. My husband and I shared a platter of humous, olives, anchovies, chorizo, bread and oatcakes which was utterly delicious. We then had steak & chips, duck breast & dauphinoise potatoes. Both were extremely tasty and very well cooked. After a short break we ordered the sticky toffee pudding with ice cream which was the best we'd ever tasted. Would happily go back should we be in the area again.

2  Thank Lindsey H