“Idyllic house in a beautiful and peaceful location”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Highland heffer in the field by Cartmel Hill
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 16 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Freedom59...
“Idyllic house in a beautiful and peaceful location”
Reviewed August 10, 2018 for a stay in July 2018

This house sits high upon a hill with wonderful views across to Grange-over-Sands. There does not appear to have been any expense spared in the quality of the fixtures and fittings. The kitchen was very well equipped with every utensil you could ask for and cooking a meal was not a chore as you have a huge space in which to work and a lovely view from the kitchen window. If I had this kitchen at home I would probably do a lot more cooking.

Outside is a marvelous summer house in which we spent some of our evenings playing board games - and there is no need to go back into the house to obtain a second bottle of wine as the summer house is equipped with a fridge!

We particularly liked the 'upside down' aspect of the house - the lounge, dining room and kitchen are on the 1st floor, thereby ensuring you have the best views of the surrounding countryside.

The house is full of character and the layout is very interesting - it has 2 staircases and I have to admit to almost getting lost within the first 5 minutes of arrival! There is a second small sitting room on the ground floor so that anyone can have some quiet time if they wish.

Cartmel itself is a lovely little village and I would recommend a visit to the Priory. We ate at the Pig and Whistle and the Cavendish Arms. Both served good quality food, but I would say the Cavendish has the edge.

This is a great location for exploring the Lake District and is within very easy driving distance of the South Lakes. One slight word of warning - do be careful on the narrow roads approaching the house. We were fortunate enough not to have to pass anyone as the roads are extremely quiet, however, I would advise driving slowly especially near the bends.

Due to the remote location your phone signal can be a bit intermittent, however, the wi-fi works fine.

Simon, the owner, responded promptly to my queries and provided information about the local amenities in the surrounding areas prior to our visit.

If you choose to book this house for your holiday I cannot imagine that you would be disappointed. I rarely write reviews but I was so impressed with this house and I would highly recommend it to anyone

Your age range 50-64
Aug 22, 2018
What a wonderful review, huge thanks. I’m really pleased to hear how much you all enjoyed the house, garden, Cartmel village and the surrounding area.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a great review. I hope to be able to welcome you back again
Katie G
Halifax, United Kingdom
“What a weekend!”
Reviewed May 2, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

Wow, what a gorgeous property! Stunning views and surroundings. The house is incredibly comfortable and cosy. We were lucky with the weather and so we were able to make the most of the lovely garden. The rooms are all very spacious rooms and there are lots of loos (always important!) Even with 10 adults and two dogs we never felt crowded. There was a lot of opportunity nearby for great dog walks and it's close to the seaside too. The only reason that this lovely place hasn't got 5 stars from us is the lack of any facility for recycling. I do appreciate that the waste disposal has to be privately contracted but I do feel that in the current climate this could do with being addressed.

May 3, 2018
Thank you for you review. I’m delighted to hear how much you all enjoyed your stay.
Details of the nearby recycling points are in the guest book and by the front door.
I’m sorry that you didn’t see these. We’ll try to think of a better way of informing guests.
I took your bottles, cans and cardboard to the nearby recycling point.
RobsonWel...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“First Class”
Reviewed March 29, 2018 for a stay in March 2018

Cartmel Hill can be summed up in three words - Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic.
Fantastic Accommodation - High wow factor. Furnishings and decoration clearly chosen with care. Stunning beams and stone work. Well appointed, kitchen with views from the sink - highlight for me! Welcoming, relaxing ambience. Cosy and homely despite its vast size.
Fantastic Location - Idyllic, peaceful but with easy access to M6 and A 590 and all that this road has to offer. Superb views, walks or just looking out from the windows of the house watching the sheep graze up and down the field adjoining the garden.
Fantastic Vacation - loved every minute. Cartmel village is a stunner! A wealth of riches here. Cartmel Village shop - in there every day. Coffee shops. Gourmet dining possible, plus three very good,friendly pubs. Cheese shop - not to be missed.
the Priory is fascinating, and well worth a visit.
Thank you Simon for once again providing us with the vital pause button in our busy lives.

Mar 30, 2018
Well Amelia, I think you’ve been my favourite guests for quite some time but now I think you’ve written my favourite review of all time.

Thanks Amelia and family. It means even more to Kate the housekeeper and myself as I know you too have your own holiday properties so you know what hard work goes into trying to get everything ‘right’.

I’m also so pleased that you finally got to stay in 1 of our Cartmel properties as I knew you’d fall in love with Cartmel, as of course I have.

I look forward to welcoming you back again when you need that much needed break and some quality, relaxing time.
bazmol
“What a fantastic cottage ”
Reviewed March 24, 2018 for a stay in March 2018

All I can say is wow. This cottage was breathtaking including the views. We had 9 adults staying in this cottage and not once did anyone feel in anyone’s way. Loads of room, bedrooms were amazing. Spotlessly clean everything you needed. Bathrooms were outstanding.
I like the upside down living accommodation, it made sense when you saw the views right over to Morecambe bay. Lovely outside sitting area including a stunning gazebo which was heated and had lighting a fridge and plenty of seating. It was covered in case it got chilly on a night. My daughter and niece used this space to meditate and chill away from the noisy family. We have been to three of this companies cottages now and not once have we been disappointed.
Thank you again Simon for a wonderful and memorable stay.

Mar 26, 2018
Thank you Julie and Paul for your fantastic review.

I’m delighted that you loved the house, views and area so much and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2018 for a stay in January 2018

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks Jude. Great review and brought a smile to my face as well.

I'll get another tea pot anyhow and hope to weocome you back again soon.
JRHartley...
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“High end property with great views”
Reviewed December 16, 2017 for a stay in December 2017

cartmel Hill is a spacious property with a beautiful view towards Morecambe bay capturing the sunset. We found the house to be warm spacious and well equipped and the location great, just a 15 minute walk into the village. Although there are two houses behind Cartmell Hill! The garden faces away from them and is private. Only snag we found was that the only direct access to the secure back garden was through the first floor living room not ideal for muddy paws. We solved that issue by letting them out this way and then letting them back in via the front door. Your dogs need to be on the lead or under close control at the front of the house as it is open and is adjacent to neighbouring gardens. Would love to return in Spring/summer to make use of the wonderful summerhouse and for bird watching. There are great walks from the doorstep, an OS map enables you to make up your own walks! Thanks to Simon and the team.

Dec 19, 2017
Thank you Frank and Wendy.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your 3rd stay at 1 of our properties and found Cartmel Hill to be “warm, spacious, well equipped and the location great”.

I’d like to clarify to people reading your review that the rear enclosed garden can be accessed from the veranda, the living room and also from the front door and the side gate that makes the garden ‘secure’.

The house is also surrounded by fields and several footpaths that are ideal for exercising dogs.

Most, if not all of our previous guests with dogs access the house via the front door as the entrance hall there has tiled floors, doormats and even a sink. This is the ideal place to wipe dirt paws and take off walking boots etc.
CDimmo
“Fabulous house”
Reviewed June 7, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

What a fantastic house standing proudly overlooking the lovely village. Second of Simons houses we've rented and once again it didn't disappoint. Large comfortable airy rooms. Just right for three generations from 6 months to 64yrs. Spent half term holiday with a couple of visits to the races amongst several walks in the area. Our first races on Saturday started out in sunshine, lovely walk down from the house, a great time for half the afternoon, not quite the same return journey later in the pouring rain, racing cancelled. Good job we had our beautiful holiday home to return to. Our second attempt on Wednesday proved much more rewarding weather wise. Thank you Simon, everyone thoroughly enjoyed staying in Cartmel Hill and we had no trouble getting our shopping delivered by passing on your instructions. The vehicle pass came in handy too thank you as one of our party needed it on Wednesday.

Jun 9, 2017
Wow, thanks Peter! What a wonderful reivew, you’ve made my day!

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much, your 2nd stay in 1 of the 7 properties I manage and I really look forward to welcoming you back again.

A note to potential guests reading this-a vehicle pass is only required on the few days of the year when Cartmel Races are being held. The pass allows access through the village on these special days. There’s no problem getting through the village for the other 350+ days of the year when Cartmel Village returns to being a ’normal’ village.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing