“Very enjoyable New Years Eve”

Beswicks Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Not one to leave reviews but had to leave a review for this lovely restaurant. I booked a cottage for 5 of us (consisting of friends & couples) nearby without ever having visited this part of the lakes, searched the postcode for a place to eat on NYE for a group in our twenties and booked without knowing how suitable it would be.

We had a great time! The evening was well thought out and the food & wine was lovely. We particularly enjoyed the service from a man we assumed to be owner/manager who was very friendly and welcomed us to the restaurant and made us very comfortable. The waiters were attentive & we really enjoyed the evening.

At midnight the whole village assembled in the square where we had a countdown to midnight and watched the beautiful fireworks.

As we said goodbye the owner/manager took the time to shake hands with us all and thank us!

I highly recommend a visit to this restaurant!

1  Thank J1GNH

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was going to book Beswicks for my partners birthday as I thought it was a restuarant! I spoke to the owner via email and was told the hours of opening and that it was best to book. I phoned up after reading the reviews as I thought I best book early. When I phoned the lady on the phone was quite distant. i told her the date and the number of people I wanted to book for and the phone went silent! I asked if I could make the booking and she umd and ahhhrd and said she can make it but if she doesnt get anyone else in it will be cancelled! I said that i was confused and were they not open on that day or something?? She said yes but it depends if they get any one in!! Bit of a strange set up if you ask me! So I have never had the pleasure of dining at Beswicks but not for the lack of trying!!!

3  Thank 46lela
Lakestraveller, Owner at Beswicks Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

We are really sorry that you were unable to book we have infact been closed for several weeks due to my Wife having serious surgery at very short notice. She is on the mend but in the meantime we have been unable to find staff or help to enable us to re open. We are however hoping to be open before the end of next week probably 29th or 30th October. I appreciate this does not help but I have sent you a personal email with a special offer to make up for the inability to book for Tuesday next. Regards David

Reviewed September 29, 2013

our first visit to the lakes we stumbled across this little gem we hadnt booked the restaurant it was full but they worked magic & got us in (party of 5 adults) we had drinks in the upstairs lounge & were then taken to our table in the lower ground food & service excellent when we had finished our meal we sat in the the bar lounge on comfy sofas & chatted to the owner & family hard to tell who was staff as they very friendly we will definitely return

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Great menu. Can't wait to return on our next visit to The Lakes.
Fabulous family run restaurant. The front if house second to none, all ages made really welcome.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went to stay in Broughton-in-furness on a walking holiday so were lucky enough to chance on this absolute gem of a restaurant. We went on a tuesday night and it was fairly full. It's a family-run restaurant and they were very welcoming. The traditional decor is in keeping with the age of the house. The bar is on the ground floor which is also well provided with comfy armchairs where you can sit and have a predinner drink while you consider the menu and order (you also come back here for after dinner coffee etc). Then for your meal you go down into the candlelit basement (apparently there is overflow seating on the first floor - they can take about 46 covers in total). We found the service excellent - attentive but not pushy, and very well timed - once you are downstairs the starters come quite quickly but then they give you a decent break before bringing the main course. The food is excellent and the house wine is decent. And it's really good value - we had the full works with a bottle of house wine and even with about the most expensive main course on the menu it was still only £70 for two. If you go for the bistro menu that they have mid week it's even better value. We enjoyed ourselves so much we immediately booked ourselves in for the thursday night. We will certainly go back if we are in that part of the world again and have already recommended it to friends who go to the Lake District regularly.