“Great experience yet again”

Beswicks Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been visiting Beswicks every couple of years for over 20 years now and David and his family have never failed to excel at what is now one of our favourite restaurants.

Tried the Bistro menu for the first time last Thursday evening and whilst the menu was inevitably limited, it was excellent value and the food was, as always, both inventive and flavoursome. The dessert was particularly scrumptious.

Whilst their were only 5 diners in that evening this did not detract from our enjoyment and meant we received an even more personalised service. I have no reservations in recommending Beswicks and look forward to dropping in again when we are next up in the Lakes. If it was a little closer we would be tempted to go more often but the occasional visit makes the impact even greater.

1  Thank RH0356

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We have had the pleasure of eating at Beswicks a number of time's and it never disappoints,from the warm welcome cosy open fires ( when needed) and beautifully cooked and presented food. And your host David had a fantastic knolage of wines to accompany your meal. When we want to feel welcome and special we head to Beswicks :)

1  Thank garyoldchestnut
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have been visiting Beswicks for best part of 20 years, often for a special occasion. It is too far from home to visit on a frequent basis but it is worth every mile when I do go. The food, service and atmosphere are perfect. Pre dinner drinks and coffee after the meal served in the comfortable lounge make it a wonderfully relaxing experience. Add to that a number of congenial places to stay overnight within walking distance, Beswicks is the perfect focus for a weekend away. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every one of my visits and every morsel food I have eaten.

1  Thank Karen A
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

It had been a while since we had visited Beswick's, which is one of our favourite restaurants. I love it because there's always a proper vegetarian choice, and my husband loves it because he can choose interesting dishes that he'd never get at home!

It's excellent value for money, too - the prices compare favourably to decent pub food, but the quality is so much better. Last week I had just a starter (delicious citrussy salad) and a main (baked stuffed avocado) but my husband went for the whole five courses including soup and cheese (he generously let me eat some of his Stilton and grapes!).

The restaurant looks formal, but David (the owner) is no snob. Last week a group of walkers turned up on spec - straight from the fells - and were happily accommodated.

In summary, Beswick's is great for a special occasion, but is also perfect if you just want a decent meal in friendly surroundings.

1  Thank ShockingpinkCumbria
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I visited Beswicks last year for my father's birthday. After living in the area for a long time and hearing great reviews I was quite excited to visit.
Unfortunately I was disappointed. The food was nice (but lacked a great deal of flavour) and service was good, but it was overpriced and I think you can get better food elsewhere in the local area for a much better price. I consider myself a 'foody' and have worked and eaten in excellent restaurants throughout the world - I am happy to pay a lot for food if it is great food!
The place was dated and the cutlery and crockery / table settings etc were in need of a re-vamp (Apologies if this has been done as it was 12 months ago that we visited).
The owner is lovely and does a lot for the local community - we had a nice night, and there was nothing specific to complain about but I think Beswicks does well as it is the only place in the local area like this.

1  Thank KJG1981
Lakestraveller, Owner at Beswicks Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your review we value them greatly. The building is listed and was built in the late 1600 early 1700 as such we are not allowed to alter anything inside or outside to any major extentent. We have to agree to keep the interior in keeping with the building.

It surprises me greatly that you have waited a full year to pass comment on our Restaurant. The table settings are reviewed every year and changed frequently but we stick rigidly to a traditional restaurant setting with crystal wine glasses. We have proper table cloths and proper linen napkins. I do realise the modern trend is for paper napkins. The crockery is chosen to maximise heat retention but is always similar to those used elsewhere.

The bar and Dining area had only recently been completely redecorated before you visited and the Leather chesterfields had been newly installed in the bar area. A more modern look would not be in keeping with the building and would completely destroy the atmosphere.

I truely sorry that you did not enjoy your experience and that you felt we were extremely expensive. However it gives me the chance to point out that our prices are actually less than local pubs on a like for like basis . Our starters start at £4.20 and our mains at £9.40 Granted our Fillets steaks are £20 but then some of the local pubs in the area charge £23-24 Our bar prices are in some cases substantially less than than local pubs and in some cases similar and we have a public license which most people do not realise. We do a 3 course meal for £20 starter main course and sweet including unlimited coffee on top.

If you would care to contact us we would be delight to offer you a discount voucher for a future visit. We can also check your booking slip to ensure your table was checked regularly on the evening you visited .