“The Shepherds Arms is on the way back - Hurrah!!”

The Shepherds Arms Bar
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chester, United Kingdom
“The Shepherds Arms is on the way back - Hurrah!!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Following news that the Hotel / pub is under new management we decided to venture back to what had been once an excellent place to eat, drink and unwind.

We were greeted warmly by the barmaid and were immediately struck by the improved ambience of the place with contented diners and occasional drinkers clearly enjoying the food and service.

Deliberating over which of the three real ales to choose I was immediately offered a sample of each - a nice touch. Not intending to eat there we decided to have a look at the new management's menu and feeling increasingly comfortable we changed our mind and had the Steak and ale pie and lamb shank - both pronounced excellent.

If like us you have been disgusted by the appalling standards of the previous landlord please go back - these people are really trying AND succeeding and as word gets around the place will start buzzing again and Ennerdale Bridge will return to being a memorable stop for the Coast to Coast walkers and the many people like us who just want good food properly prepared at reasonable prices served by people who really enjoy what thewy are doing.

Well done to you all at the Shepherds Arms - we will soon be back but I expect we will soon have to book a table!!

• Visited July 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Real ale and great food.”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Ennerdale Bridge has only two pubs so how can you, as I was, be spoilt for choice? Around the corner from the Fox and Hounds you have the Shepherds Arms which also serves real ale's as they should be served. Here I enjoyed the added bonus of excellent food.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Tom W
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“give it a miss”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

the atmosphere was awful, the seating was uncomfortable, the food was warmed up the manager was miserable

Visited June 2011
2 Thank GeraldineandIan
Sussex
“A great evening”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I've just returned from a friends self-catering weekend break in Ennerdale Bridge. 9 of us popped into this pub on the Sunday evening. The guy behind the bar - Mark - made the pub. He was very welcoming, friendly and entertaining.

At the end of the evening, the atmosphere changed dramatically when the owner/manager came in to cash up. We had spent several hours in there, and a fair bit of money, but he didn't even acknowledge us. A strange ending to an otherwise enjoyable evening.

The decor is a bit dated (and not in the olde worlde good way). We'd popped in there for a few drinks and to relax after a long walk, so sitting upright at dated tables felt almost formal.

I'd love to give a higher rating as I had a great evening, but, as we didn't eat, I can't comment on/rate the food.

If I'm ever back in Ennerdale Bridge, I'll certainly pop by again.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank BrightonWendz
Chorley, Lancashire
“Fab food but absolutely freezing!”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have to agree with the previous reviewer, the food was lovely, there were 6 of us, we all had different mains and each was good quality and very nice. The portions were plentiful and freshly cooked. However, it was a miserable day and cold, we had my husband's 85 year old granny with us and they refused to put any heating on or light the fire because 'we close at 2' I had to wear my husband's uncle's big coat because it was so cold. There was only one staff member who was efficient and polite but not particularly welcoming or friendly (She was probably freezing too) I imagine that it's very nice at night. It's a shame because with the heating on and a little promotion, I imagine it may well be a busy lunch spot. I would reccomend it in summer or at night.