“Clean, quiet, relaxed.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cleator
NorthWestEngland
“Clean, quiet, relaxed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed on Saturday night (7th June) - myself and 2 sons sharing a 3-bed room. Great location, friendly staff, good breakfast, clean and tidy, large and airy. Will stay again when we're back next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Newcastle under lyme
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

After reading other comments via trip advisor I arrived open minded but was quick to appreciate the comments made about the hotels tired apprearence.
When pulling up on the car park I didn't even recognise the hotel from the pictures at first as these are taken from the back off the hotel.
It's a shame because this hotel has alot of pertential, it is a lovely building set in lovely grounds but just needs a little love and attention. The outside needs a good repaint, furniture in the room was tatty and ripped covered with dirty doilies .
The gardens were disappointing also, not like in the pictures and the fountain was never turned on during our stay which was a shame.
Overall the room was ok, I managed to get a good price and therefore wasn't too disappointed.
I would have been though if I had paid the original asking price.
I stayed here for a special occasion with my partner as it was the cheapest available in the area offering a four poster bed with jacuzzi bath ( which we didn't end up getting)
The breakfast was delicious though. Staff were very friendly and polite although we didn't have much need if them once we had checked in. I emailed the hotel a few days before our arrival to request a later check out time and I had an almost immediate response which was fantastic and they offered me an extra hour for no additional charge which I thought was very kind.
This hotel allows dogs too which I'm all for being a dog owner myself but was a little horrified to open the small balcony/varander doors in the morning and find a rather large piece of poo on the floor. Well at least I presume it was dog poo! It had been there for some time.
So overall, it was ok, but we travelled for over 3 hours to get there and unfortunately I have to be honest and say it wasn't worth the drive. We probably would not return .

• Stayed June 2014
clairefitch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have just returned from ECHH and we had a brilliant time. The staff were brilliant happy and helpful, the chambermaids did a very good job even folding up our clothes, the building itself is very nice inside with a rustic charm, and the gardens are glorious. Very good value and the distance from local attractions such as Ennerdale Water, Whitehaven, and Cockermouth was reasonable in the car. My only gripe is that the room we stayed in was a little bit run down , but not massively don't get me wrong, I can imagine it would cost A LOT of money to revamp the whole hotel and it is quaint as it is. Thank you Ennerdale xx

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank clairefitch
Castleford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel is situated close to some of the UK's most outstanding scenery in the West Lakes.
On arrival into the car park I thought the outside looked a tad dated however the building does date back to AD868! My eye was distratced to the hotel growns which are stunning.
the hotel recpetion area isvery grand and the resturant is beautiful with large windows looking out to the grounds and large portrait paintings hanging on the wall.
I chose to eat in the bar which was vrey nice and the food (Cream of Tomoato Soup, Chicken Breat stuffed with Haggis & Strawberry Eton Messe) was delicious, really, really nice. Breakfast was good too.
However, the down side, when I opened the door to my room (Room 22) I was greeted with cream plain walls and two vey small window with privacy glass so I couldnt see out. However when I did a 360 degree look around the room wasnt has bad as first impression. It also had a massive bathroom too.

Room Tip: Room 22 did have free wi-fo but it didn't work!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this Hotel on 24th & 25th May. Staff were very friendly & made you feel welcome. A bit off the beaten track, a lovely Hotel with great food & reasonable prices. Would definitely visit this Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed for the local Whitehaven festival and couldn't have asked for more. The rooms are clean and warm. We had a four poster, jacuzzi bath,and a patio overlooking the beautiful gardens. The staff are warm and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble for them. Other reviews have said the hotel is a bit shabby but I think it's not overdone as some others are these days it has a homeliness that is part of the appeal and adds to the relaxed atmosphere. Would definitely recommend

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room so had direct access to the gardens
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cleator moor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Gorgeous hotel with amazing gardens, I just don't understand why they are letting the outside of the building go down hill? It is in dyer need of a paint. Such a Shame as it really lets it down and all it needs is a lick of paint

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kaz1514
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleator
Grove Court Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#10 of 14 in Grasmere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,118 reviews

Been to Ennerdale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!