“No problems”

Ennerdale Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cleator
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel, and we had no problems at all. It is an old hotel but I like that, and it was very clean. Room was quite small, but we had a special half price B/B offer, so cannot complain.
There are lovely grounds which must be great in summer.
Staff very friendly and welcoming and breakfast excellent. Our next 2 nights were in a 4 star hotel and can honestly say it was no better than the Ennerdale.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking road but again we had no problem with sleeping.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolBearsden
There are newer reviews for Ennerdale Country House Hotel

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked the New Year's Break package for 2 nights - after reading some reviews I was a little worried (mainly because of the rooms). As soon as we got there we had such a friendly welcome by the new General Manager and his staff. We weren't overly impressed with the room so we asked to see another one. The staff did not stop until we were happy - nothing was too much trouble and anything we asked for was catered for.

The food was absolutely delicious and I was extremely impressed with the chef's work. I would definitely recommend eating here.

I had a lovely time at the hotel and I know that the re-decoration plans will just make the hotel an even better place to stay.

To Brian and his staff - thank you!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Prezzerlar
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had a wonderful few days over Christmas, from when we arrived to be greeted by the manger and shown to our room to the moment we left and he carried our bags out to the car.
All the staff are friendly and helpful, the food was excellent with some very good meals. The entertainment was very good, the trip on the train was a welcome afternoon out. This was very good value, yes the décor was tired but hopefully it will be address by the new owner. Wish the new manager Brian well, as he put so much effort to make our Christmas special.

Room Tip: Views over the garden
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank overthehillLeicester
Brian G, General Manager at Ennerdale Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experiences over the Crhistmas break. The collection of people we had staying in the hotel, contributed to a lovely atmosphere and the willingness of everyone to get involved in all the variety of activities and pursuits that we had arranged, even down to the treasure hunt on Christmas morning, which incidentally Arlene & I had to partially redesign on Christmas Eve due to the bad weather. In the event, the sun did actually show its face in the middle of the afternoon on Christmas Day, much to everyone's surprise. It was lovely to make the acquaintance of such an array of nice people, all intent on enjoying themselves, some of whom have already booked for 2013.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Booked a bargain weekend break, 2 nights B&B with an evening meal. The food was beautifully presented and tasted so good, we ate there the next night and weren't disappointed. Yes, the hotel is looking a "little tired" in places but has just been taken over so fingers crossed it will get the investment it deserves. We had an upstairs room, with a nice view of the grounds and a jacuzzi bath! A first. Room 31 No traffic noise. Pleasant helpful staff. We'd stop again

Room Tip: Room 31 Upstairs end of the corridor, nice and peaceful
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BootsMidlands
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here 3 times recently for business. The hotel is a little "tired" but the staff and the service are very good. The 3 different rooms I stayed in were all very comfortable but try to avoid the main road rooms as the one I stayed in was very noisy from about 5.30am with the traffic, I asked to be moved and was given a different room within the hour. A little isolated but it is a country hotel, Whitehaven a 10 minute drive away. Bar prices reasonable. Did not have dinner here but from what I saw the meals look good. Breakfast very nice with usual cereal to full English offered and served up quite quickly. I would return should the need arise.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom P
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed for three nights in Room 29, which was downstairs. Above us was another bedroom. We could here every step taken, at 2 am, 6 am and most of the conversations going on. It appears that the conversion of this block has been done on the cheap and there appears to be no sound insulation whatsoever. The rooms are comfortable enough, but this lack of noise insulation is extremely uncomfortable and does not lead to a relaxing stay. The heating in the room did not come on until 6 pm, even though the outside daytime temperature was 5 - 7 C. On return to the hotel at 4 pm, it was very cold in the bedrooms, one day we had to ask for extra heater, which was supplied. Is this really a 3* establishment? The bedroom opens on to the gardens and presumably this is the fire escape route, yet there was no key available to open this door. I would not recommend this hotel until some of these issues get attended to. The staff are doing the best under very difficult circumstances, but can't make up for the basic lack of facilities and attention to detail. Have had better time in a Youth hostel.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are very very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rericha
OHIML, General Manager at Ennerdale Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest

I am terribly sorry to hear that your stay at the Ennerdale Country House Hotel was made uncomfortable by the sound of guests in the room above.
All of the bedrooms in the hotel have thermostatically controlled radiators and the heating is on constant throughout the day at this time of year. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that all our rooms are comfortably warm for our guests arriving or returning, I can only surmise that the controls of the radiators in your room were turned down prior to your arrival, and for this I apologise.
The patio doors in all the ground floor rooms, including room 29, are not locked with a key but secured with a quick release safety catch from the inside.
I am disappointed that your dissatisfaction was not brought to my attention sooner, after you indicated your need for a heater, so that your comments could have been addressed whilst you were still at the hotel.
I would like to thank you for bringing your thoughts to my attention and would offer you a warm welcome should you choose to visit us again.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel several times. I must say we have noticed the rooms are begining to become rather tired although the farm suite where we stayed in this visit is 1 of the better with a lvly huge jaquzzi bath. The food in the restaurant however takes it to another level altogether!! It has gone from moderately average to a diners delight!! This is our second visit in 6 months & tbh its the high standard of fine dining that has made us return. my wife & i had mussels in a tantalizingly superb sauce with pasta 2 start.I had a fish platter as my main course which was exceptional!! As was my wifes pork!.The desserts that followed were also amazing! The staff were really efficient & as always friendly.I will definetly be returning.. .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lee m
OHIML, General Manager at Ennerdale Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that, as a regular guest at the Ennerdale Country House Hotel, you are now able to see the consistency of quality food and good friendly service that we as a team are striving to achieve.
Your kind comments are an inspiration to continue that improvement so thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleator
Grove Court Hotel
The Manor
The Manor
#1 of 3 in St. Bees
Westlakes Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Ennerdale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!