“Fantastic food and service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Borrowdale
The Langstrath Country Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Borrowdale B&B and Inns
Cumbria, UK
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend, her 11 year old son and the dog visited this charming Inn last weekend. We received a very warm welcome by friendly staff and enjoyed a superb meal in the bar with our dog. The pie is delicious and the sticky toffee pudding didn't disappoint either! What makes a place truly comfortable is the staff. Everyone we met, from the owners to the waiting on staff are very friendly and efficient. Thank you Guy, Jackie (sorry if I didn't spell your name right), Karen, Monica and the very personable Atilla. Your magic tricks impressed my girlfriends son no end, and he still believes he has magic dust in his pocket! A fantastic evening with truly welcoming people. Thank you

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank twelvegauge666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
stafford
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed one night, we had visited many times before for drinks and lunch. The room was a little small, furniture out dated honey pine, bathroom with shower only which was great. The staff we're great, really good service. If you're lucky enough to sit by the fire after a wet walk there' no better place to be.. We had bed breakfast and 3 course evening meal. On arrival they had booked a table for us, the starters we're great, potted shrimps and egg wrapped in black pudding haggis and breadcrumbs. The main courses were I hate to say disappointing, the lamb lacked taste, needed more gravy with some red currant jelly, red wine, mint and rosemary. It just had no taste at all but was tender. I had the sea bass special, it was served Cajun spiced with roasted Mediterranean veg and new potatoes, with a creamy dill and white wine sauce that just didn't go together. The deserts a mixed bag, creme brûlée was good but the white chocolate and forest fruits cheesecake was awful, it was about 1.5 cm deep didn't hold it's shape, and too tart. After dinner we thought we'd go to the lounge, it was full, with a noisy lot who seemed to be a group, tried the Bar, that was full too no chairs, so we went to out room, could not get wifi, there are no tv' s in the rooms,so we listened to the noise from downstairs, you could Hear what they were saying. felt a little disappointed. Breakfast service and food was good. Overall I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My daughter and I wanted a few days away from it all break, the Langstrath Inn offered just that. Quiet location, friendly staff and great food. We stayed in the room at the top with low roof over the bath, quaint and charming. Lovely and warm when we got back from our long walks, and great to have a drying room too! Sadly the weather was wet but we love the Lakes regardless of the weather! Ideally situated for walkers. Hope to return soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

What a treat, my husband and I had been on the lanstrath vally walk and decided to have coffee and scones, home made biscuits arrived and four beautiful warm scones with jam.
All served on a wooden plate and lovely crockery.
You must go to this lovely country hotel, very friendly staff, already planing to go for a meal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

This place is in the competition for best hotel in the lake district. Friendly people, comfortable rooms, great food. Nothing I could think of that would improve it. Plus - because I was on a walking holiday - that my room had a bath was a great extra.

• Stayed March 2014
UK
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Last week I eat here on three successive evenings and if I could have stayed in Borrowdale for 14 nights I'd have eaten here 14 times! Why? Last year around this time I discovered this inn and thought the food and service both excellent. This year I'd rate the food, staff, and service as fantastic - the best in England as far as I am concerned. The staff are amazing. Even the chef was personable and happy to chat. I'd recommend booking in advance and parking spaces are a bit tight, but don't deprive yourself of this superb pub and amazing location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank oliveruk
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Once again we find ourselves visiting our favourite area in the lakes. This time we managed to fob the kids off (24 and 16) with a promise that we will take them here later in the year!!

With a few changes adrift within the Langstrath, we now find great additions to the staff. You still have the formidable Guy with his fantastic wife Jacqui. Karen is ever present with a warm welcome and outstanding typical Yorkshire sense of humour. Up the Morley! Monika is polite and attentive, and the new chefs have done great job delivering outstanding food. Then we come to the new barman. Well. If you ever wanted to see a happy welcome then trott down the lane. A great find and a trump card, Guy!

"Attila" - you are a credit, great fun guy making us look forward to coming into the bar for some real banter and abuse ( in a good way ). We had a great last night of our stay, I think I've got over it just! Remember the blackboard?!?!

A great addition to an already great team.

We feel like we have known all of them for years, and regard everyone as great friends.

We look forward to returning soon (very).

Looking forward to the "old peculier" Guy!
Remember the discount you agreed with the bar tab, Guy?! And the 3 for 2 on the pickled eggs!
Ps the sign did look straight, apart from on the last night, when it looked extremely crooked! Mind there wasn't much that looked straight that night!

Give it a whirl and enjoy a great relaxing atmosphere with great beers, fantastic food and most of all superb staff.

Cheers everyone,

Mark, Angela, John and Christine.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Metallican111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Scafell Hotel
#3 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Derwentwater Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale

Been to The Langstrath Country Inn? Share your experiences!