All reviews spa bath small hotel lake district ravioli talented chef bird feeders borrowdale valley dining room superior room amuse bouche within easy reach high standard loved this hotel log fire leave the car smoked haddock our wedding anniversary
Selected filters
Reviewed January 14, 2018

I have written this review just 1 month ago and my review has been taken off the site so I will write it up again. We booked in for a 3 night stay and when we arrived just after 3 PM we were taken to our room, bearing in mind that it was at the end of December, the room was freezing cold and the heating was off altogether so went to the manager and asked to have it switched on, and about 5 minutes later the heat filtered through slowly, we are both over 70 years old and this clearly is not on in a hotel of this standard.
Also each evening when going down for our evening meal we went into the lounge where the fire was to get a warm, on the first evening it was barely lit and the second and third night it was dead and freezing cold and it was not much better in the dinning room either at night or in the morning for breakfast as it was so cold. I haven't even had a reply from my last review of an aplogy. This was supposed to be a nice break for our Golden wedding anniversay. Apart from being cold the food was good.
Had the lounge fire been on we would have gone in there in the afternoon to read but it was freezing in there and also the central heating in the bedrooms seems to be on timed and in December what more can you say.

Room tip: Pick a lake view room
Date of stay: December 2017
16  Thank g4rvh
Reviewed January 6, 2018

After staying late last year, I had an unpleasant run in with management.

I overheard the general manager insulting guests and talking harshly about other staff members, The working environment was clearly very poor and although the staff were very pleasant to all guests, It was obvious the manager was poisoning the work life of for all of them.

It was clear from her attitude towards them that the general manager cared little about the staff and although pleasant to their face, Cared little for the guests also.

The hotel itself fairly nice if not a bit dated, The food was excellent and apart from the general manager the staff were fantastic and made us feel right at home, The rooms were cleaned to an excellent standard and the stay could easily have been a 5* if not for the disgusting attitude of the general manager.

Our room was not as described as their certainly was NO view of the lake, and the decor was a dated yellow and red mess.

In conclusion, Whilst the current manager is still around, I would avoid this place!

21  Thank 79markmanchester
Reviewed November 20, 2017

The location was perfect - a short distance from Keswick but rural and off the road. Sensitively modernised but keeping the charm of an old country house. The staff were exceptional, Laura, Abbie and Ava especially.
We loved the food - well done to the chef too. A perfect mini break...

Room tip: Upstairs in main house
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne W
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Tucked away in a corner of this most beautiful valley, with a fine long view, this is a warm and friendly small hotel in an imposing Edwardian house offering considerable style in a great location. The staff are terrific, and the food is well above average - they really are trying. You can walk from the door, or the classics are nearby. Comfortable lounge, welcoming small bar. I've stayed before, and will stay again.

Date of stay: November 2017
2  Thank Stevie T
Reviewed November 7, 2017

My new husband and I stayed here while we tripped over the border to Gretna Green to get married.
We chose a fabulous hotel in a perfect setting.
Our room overlooked the open views of countryside and mountains. Perfect!
The room was very comfortable with a bathroom that had a jacuzzi and walk in shower. Again, perfect!
The food was excellent with a good menu choice.
Staff were eager to insure our stay was a good one.
They even left a bottle of bubbly in our room when they knew we had just got married. So thoughtful.
I would highly recommend this hotel to those who desire e peaceful holiday with magnificent views and where staff and food are first class.

Room tip: Ask for mountain view.
Trip type: Traveled as a couple