“Borrowdale weekend”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Derby, United Kingdom
“Borrowdale weekend”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Recently returned from a 2 day break at The Borrowdale Hotel. Lovely character hotel in a beautiful setting. Rooms were great, of reasonable size and appeared recently renovated to a good standard. We were in a Prestige room, and it was fairly spacious so probably worth the upgrade. Staff very good on the whole, though one or two members of staff could have smiled a bit more! The restaurant is not for foodies - and was a game of two halves. On our first evening the starters were quite nice, the main courses were disappointing and the desserts terrible. I ordered duck breast and when asked how I would like it cooked, asked for it "pink" when it arrived it was well done. Regrettably sent it back. In most restaurants my request for pink would be normal, and when the new duck breast arrived at my table the restaurant manager inferred I had ordered my duck underdone! The vegetables which accompanied the main course were virtually non existent - a couple of carrots and a spoonful of watery mash potato. The desserts we ordered were not good. On the second night all courses were reasonable - not fantastic but perfectly acceptable. Good wine list - would suggest they change their wine glasses though. Breakfast was very nice and plentiful. All in all a good stay, just let down by the food. A great location and good value for money if you get it on a deal, but don't stay here for the food - we have stayed in much better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andylou1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
rossendale
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Having booked the stay via Travelzoo, I called the hotel and asked about accessible rooms..I was told they had a groundfloor room that was disabled friendly but was a premier room so a premium of £20 per night. was added to the cost.
I booked the room and when I arrived with my friend we were very dissappointed to find that the room, although large, was in dire need of renovation. It had old and very stained furniture. It had rusty handrails in the bathroom. It resembled an out dated nursing home!
Having said that, the staff here were excellent, the food fantastic and service brilliant.
After exchanging emails the manager eventually reimbursed the supplement and acknowledged that room 46 was in need of a refurbishment. I couldn't agree more !
I regularly pay to upgrade rooms and am happy to do so, but in this case, I feel they should not be charging disabled (or any other) guests extra for that room until it is upgraded.
They should also explain on their website that the pool/sauna does NOT cater for disabled guests..very disappointing in this day and age.

Room Tip: not room 46 ! I would ask if the room you are booking has been refurbished!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here at the Borrowdale Hotel on a number of occasions and have always enjoyed our stay here. On this occasion however it was just me and my 18 year old son (a treat for his recent birthday).

We had booked two single rooms on the second floor which were both very nicely furnished and the bathrooms were lovely as well with nice views. We stayed for three nights in April and although the weather was not so good our time here was very good. The meals were lovely with a lot of variety. The staff are quite pleasant and helpful and the whole surrounding area is quite beautiful. There are a limited number of ground floor rooms for the not so able as the hike up to the second floor is quite steep and there is no lift.

Dogs are welcome here in some of the rooms for an extra charge. The whole atmosphere is old world charm combined with a little bit of modern as the bedrooms have been refurbished. People tend to return again and again and some of the staff have been here for over 20 years.

Breakfast is served in the lovely restaurant and is quite substantial. Dinner is table d'hote four courses and there is a good selection of local meat and vegetarian dishes. The food is absolutely cooked to perfection and was thoroughly enjoyed by both of us.

The majority of guests here seemed to be over sixty and there were no noisy children which is always a bonus. If you enjoy a calm and quiet atmosphere with plenty of old rustic charm then this is the place for you. However, the restaurant can get quite noisy when there are large parties staying but this was not a problem for us.

There is a fabulous wine cellar and the menu changes daily. The prestige rooms are well worth upgrading to as the views are much better. There is a bus stop right outside the door, its around 4 miles in from Keswick and Honister pass is just a sort drive away. This is a lovely base from which to explore. We shall be returning.

Room Tip: upgrade to a prestige room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lightworkerwithwings
Reading
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recently returned from a 2 day break here. the food, the decor and the staff (especially Cath, Emre and Corina all of whom made meal times a true pleasure!) could not be faulted.
The weather could have been better but there you go - you can't have everything can you?
My only caveat would be - 3 floors but no lift! Hard going if you're not too fit!

Room Tip: make sure you mention it up front if you don't like the idea of 36 stairs.
Cambridge, England
Reviewed April 29, 2013

booked two rooms on Travelzoo deal for a Ruby wedding anniversary. Rate included 4 course dinner each night and breakfast. Rooms had superking size beds and plenty of room and appeared to be recently refurbished as were the public areas. Rooms both had view of the lake and were very quiet. Reception staff were friendly, polite and efficient.
The meals each night were superb and served in a very friendly way in a very timely fashion. Waiting staff were excellent. Breakfast was similarly enjoyed with excellent bacon and good quality tasty sausages.
A small problem with the bill was quickly rectified and the person committing the error appeared , to apologise in person.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel (we had prestige rooms) as we had a very pleasant stay despite some rainy weather in high quality rooms with all the other services all we could have wanted.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the front on the second floor which were very quiet (26/29)
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having booked a Travelzoo offer and reading other reviews I wasn't expecting such a wonderful experience. No corners had been cut, despite the more than reasonable price for a two night DBB break.
We enjoyed a roomy Prestige room with views of the lake. The staff, a good mix of British and European, were excellent throughout. Even the "grumpy" barman I'd read about proved to be quite entertaining.
The "extras" of tea and scones in the Conservatory on arrival, the wine tasting in the hotel's cave and coffee and chocolates in the lounges/bar after dinner ensured you made the best of all the hotels facilities. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the leisure facilities in the nearby sister hotel .
I was aware that a number of guests had dogs with them but, as I'm not a dog lover, I can happily say I never heard or saw a dog other than in the hotel grounds.
It was obvious talking to other guests that a number of them return again and again and I can certainly see why. I'm sure it won't be long before we're back.

Room Tip: I would certainly ask for a room at the front of the hotel as there is little road noise - we slept...
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Found a great deal on TravelZoo which included 2 nights stay, breakfast and 4 course silver service dinner on both days, which also included coffee and chocolates after the meal. The deal also included wine tasting, and tea and scones on arrival. Unfortunately the wine tasting wasn't on but we were given a complimentary glass of wine to make up for this. All of the food was excellent. Great portions. Staff are very helpful. I'm a vegetarian and I always had plenty of choice. We upgraded at an extra cost to a Prestige room, however the price difference was more than reasonable, and the room was great. We had enough space, a great bath, and a lovely view. When booking, and when changing the booking staff were always incredibly helpful. I cannot find any fault with this establishment. Staff were helpful when discussing the local area, and in particular the Keswick launch. The hotel itself is in a fabulous location. We chose to walk to one of the launch pick up points, which was an easy walk, and then take the boat into Keswick. We would have loved to have stayed longer, and will hopefully return again in the future.

Room Tip: I would suggest paying for an upgrade if possible, we stayed in a Prestige room. It was more than bi...
1 Thank Aimee-Lou86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Lodore Falls Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Scafell Hotel
Scafell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosthwaite

Been to The Borrowdale Hotel? Share your experiences!