“11th stay - that should tell you we like it!!”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Just got back from a 4 night stay in the Lodore - beautiful as ever. This isn't a modern Marriott/Radisson style hotel & I don't feel it's regular customers would want it to be.
Most bedrooms have been refurbished, the tower suite & the balcony suite appear to be the best - and of course most expensive but I think well worth it if this is a special trip.

I have to say, the hotel is MUCH nicer since the takeover - it was never a generic Hilton because of the building & location but it has more charm now. All refurbished bedrooms have everything you'd need, especially if you pay the extra & go for a lake view-well worth it. All bathrooms have the same white spotless suites.

I've been reading through some other reviews who commented on staff issues. Myself & my family have nothing but praise for the staff - most of them may be Russian/Polish but they make a real effort to understand your requests & will bend over backwards to help you. Each time we go there are some familiar faces & some new ones. If you make an effort to find out their backgrounds you'll find they are intelligent warm people who will take the time to make you feel really welcome.

The lake is a short walk, 5 minutes for me with my healthy legs, 15 for my 87 year old Grandad. It's across the road, down a walkway - a little rocky so we've started taking a wheelchair for Grandad now - & up the Jetty for the Launch into Keswick. The launch is the perfect way to travel so you can have a little drink whilst you're there! Also the tickets are reduced if you purchase in the hotel.

The food is outstanding every time I go. Breakfast is what you'd expect & a little more, always fresh & filling! I had the scrambled eggs each day this visit - they are lovely, despite an earlier comment saying they were "strange".

My only 2 niggles are very small but I've noticed a Managers Response on here so I hope they read this! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update the veggie menu. I'm not veggie but often choose something from this menu to try & go for a lower fat option but it's been the same choices for about the last 2 years! Secondly, as we were in the hotel bar on the Saturday evening I was disappointed there was no "entertainment" I don't mean Cabaret or anything but I recall you used to have a Russian lady who played the piano beautifully & you've had a singer on another occasion. Background music would have been a beautiful touch & may have kept us in the bar longer - more profitable for you!!

I've had facials in the spa a few times which have all been lovely, this time however 4 of us were booked in for appointments straight after breakfast so that we could still fit in our day trip afterwards, the spa staff said they didn't have us in the book 'till 12:30. Considering we'd had this booked since December, we weren't too happy. However the spa is independent I think, so no reflection on the hotel itself.

I'll be visiting the hotel for many years to come but wont be using the spa again, oh well there's always the tennis court or the walk up to the waterfall I guess!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank 20,407
There are newer reviews for Lodore Falls Hotel

Reviewed June 2, 2007

My partner and I have just returned from a two night weekend stay at this hotel, we would recommend a stay here to anyone and would visit the hotel again without hesitation. As previous writers on the site state parking is on the other side of the road from the hotel (except for disabled parking), but luggage can be unloaded/loaded by parking outside the hotel if you wish. The car park is only a minutes walk from the front door so I don't see why this should be too much of a problem for anyone. We were greeted by a porter who looked after our bags whilst we checked in, the receptionists welcome maybe wasn’t the friendliest but this is the only negative comment that we can make about the staff during our stay. After check-in the porter showed us to lift with instructions on finding our room, the porter arrived with our bags within a minute of us entering the room. The room was of a good size, overlooking the garden/fell at the side of the hotel and looked recently refurbished. Couldn’t find any fault with the room, very clean, modern and extremely comfortable. Dinner on both evenings was a wonderful experience with an adequate choice being available for each course. Breakfast each morning was of a high standard, the cooked Cumbrian breakfast was hot and fresh which is often a rarity in many hotels. My partner and I have discussed making this an annual weekend destination and all I can say is I can't wait until next year!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rich&Vicks
Reviewed May 9, 2007

My partner took me away for a birthday surprise. The hotel is 3 miles away from Keswick and overlooks the fens and a lake. The outside of the hotel is Gothic and does look like the 'Munster's' house complete with tower! We had a quiet, non-smoking room overlooking the fens and lake which was extremely comfortable and spotless, someone checked with us that the room had been cleaned . The staff are extremely polite and helpful. The Maitre'D was excellent about my anaphylactic shock to prawns and was very professional but friendly. Dining here is FANTASTIC; canapes are served in the lounge, followed by a four course dinner and coffee once again, is served in the lounge. Wonderful food, fresh, beautifully cooked and faultless presentation-recommend the raspberry pannacota! It's a spa hotel but we didn't have a treatment. We did use the pool which is rather small and the changing room is communal! As it is situated 3 miles from Keswick there's no walking into town after dinner but there is a bar. Open top buses stop outside and there's woodland walks behind the hotel which lead to the falls where you can have a spa treatment! Loved the hotel which is ideal for exploring from but did miss not being able to walk into town. There is a lift and ample parking for disabled guests. An outdoor pool and tennis court too. Breakfast is served between 8am-9.45am, so no long lie ins! You can walk into Keswick or there is a boat on the lake. Excellent food and service. Local beer is available and the wine list is varied. You really felt like a guest here.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank suitcasetogo
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights on April 13th and 14th. I was pleased to be told I had an upgrade on arrival and our lake-view room was very nice indeed with a balcony to enjoy the very warm weather. It is obvious that since my last visit 2 years ago that an enormous amount of money has been spent on redecorating the hotel and the result is very impressive.
What is not so good is the attitude/mood of many of the staff, particularly in the bar and restaurant who appear to be unhappy. Also when I checked out, I queried an item on my bill which was not mine. I was treated in an initially unhelpful manner, although it was eventually resolved.
The food is presented very professionally, but I found the choice of main courses a little limited.
My overall impression is that this is a nice hotel in a super location, but more work is required on the staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Martin Sherriff
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Had a very nice three days at the Lodore Falls hotel just before the Easter break.
We booked a superior lake view double room and were given a delightful room (107) on the first floor with a clear view of Derwent Water.
Upon entering the room we could see that it had been very recently refurbished and you could actually smell wallpaper paste ( not unpleasant) - confirming our thoughts.
The room was very spacious (for a couple) with plenty of wardrobe/drawer space and also had a flat screen TV ( wall mounted) with a couple of SKY channels plus terrestrial.
Very satisfied with the room and its view.
Upon leaving we saw other rooms as they were being cleaned and have to say would not have felt as happy in some of these , which appeared cramp and the view non -existant !!
The evening meals were very good and the service,which in the main appeared to be by young eastern Europeans, was good , but the cooked breakfasts were very often a little dried up, which was a little disappointing !

Did have a problem with seating in the restaurant on one night when our table for two was actually behind a pillar and you could not move your chair without bumping the chair of the tables which were adjacent to our table, and of course yours and other parties conversations were clearly heard by each other. I think that a little better planning of tables or clearing of used tables earlier would have done away with the need to squash more tables in.
We did comment that we did not want to be seated there on the next evening and our request was granted but another two guests seated there, who from their body language also felt unhappy about the location.
As someone else pointed out, the PR in the brocure/website gave the impression that the Hotel was on the waterside , when actually there was a road and a grazing area for sheep of approx 150 yards between the Hotel and the waterside. A little deceitful and unnecessary because the view was great anyway ( as per my photo attached)

The bar area we found a little lacking in atmosphere and a little less than friendly /attentive service at times.

Again as someone else pointed out, you have to park your car across the road from the hotel as there is only a few parking spaces at the hotel reserved for disabled guests, which although understandable because of the hotels location, it was not made clear on the website !

Overall a nice hotel and well run and we enjoyed our stay but would not be inclined to return.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank AJC_Essex
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We have just returned from a Booster Break which was a special offer for 2 nghts. It included breakfast on two mornings and one 4course evening meal. Our room was a Fell View room, on the 2nd floor which had recently been refurbished. The bed was huge and very comfortable , the bed linen and the towels in the bathroom were spotless. As were the bathrobes! We even had free bottled water in the room, which we have had to pay for normally at other hotels. The food and service in the restaurant was excellant and the staff very pleasant. The lounge was very comfortable and again the staff were pleasant. The hotel location is perfect the gym and pool are ideal. All in all we had a wonderful stay and will definately return.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ????
Reviewed March 28, 2007

The Lodore is an upmarket hotel, but this made our experience of the hotel a bigger let down than if our expectations weren't so high. The room (number 127) was nice enough, if a little small, a 'fell view family room' with what I had been assured was a nice aspect (above the facing walls and the vents etc. of what I assume is the kitchen block). There is a lot of competition at these prices and as we were still considering one or two other hotels I had specifically asked about the room when booking, so this was disapointing, but not really any more than that.
The real problem was that the fan, generator or whatever, directly outside the window continued it's low thrumming all night. By 11.30 none of us could sleep and our 3 year old was continually asking when the noise would stop, so I called Reception who said they were unable to do anything until the morning. Twenty minutes later I'd had enough and rang again. This time they managed to get us a room change - to a room on the floor above, where although noticeable it was much quieter. I was unhappy that they'd allocated that room in the first place when it was apparent that they knew of the noise problem and when there were other rooms, of the same category, free and I asked the night porter and reception staff to pass on my feelings to management. I spoke to the manager when we checked out and he told me he was completely unaware of the problem, which again does not reflect well or meet the standards you would expect of the hotel.
Gripe over, and having said all that the Hotel itself is otherwise excellent overall, but still being refitted and there are a few things still to finish. Most rooms and public spaces including the bar, lounge and restaurant have been tastefully redecorated and the staff are professional, attentive and nice. The pool is small but fine for a swim if not too crowded and is great for kids. The restaurant is superbly organised and the food is of a very high standard. Borrowdale itself is stunning and the Hotel's main aspect is as good as you will find in the Lakes. We were lucky with the weather and after I'd finished repacking and unpacking once again I chilled out and we had a great time.
But for our experience, I would've given this review four stars and I'm sure very few rooms have this sort of problem. In fact we would love to go back soon, but I will be (even) more careful when booking next time.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank BillyPilgrim2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Inn on the Lake
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 2 in Glenridding

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!