“Avoid like the plague. Not happy..? They'll charge you anyway!”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Travellers take note...

Stayed in the Lodore for 2 nights recently to celebrate my 40th Birthday. Expected high quality from the reviews I'd read here but was very disappointed and angry at the end of my stay.

Firstly, the 'Family Room' is just a normal room with a couple of single camp beds shoved in it. Very little space. The room quality is very poor; white PVC trunking up the wall to the TV, blown vinyl wallpaper on the ceiling, dreary wallpaper and prints on the wall, flourescent lights; more Travelodge than 4 star hotel I think. The bathroom has an extractor which sounds like a loud diesel engine (not so good for relaxing in the bath) and a toilet lid which won't stay up. The white toothpaste stains down the varnished plywood bath panel with exposed screws didn't impress either. Add to that the shower over the bath which flexed when stood in it, and which required me to crouch in order to get my head wet... well, you get the picture. During booking I’d asked if the room was one of the ‘refurbished’ rooms and was told “Yes, yes – it’s all been refurbished”. Talking to a staff member, she proudly pointed out that it had indeed been one of the very first to have been refurbished all those years ago (about ten at a guess).

We asked to change rooms upon arrival but were shown two others which were pretty similar and didn't have the camp beds (or much room for them to be added). Consequently we stayed put hoping to curtail our visit to just that one night. However, talking to the Deputy Manager it seems that once they have your credit card details they'll just charge the booking anyway – using the 24hr rule (cancellations less than 24hrs incur full charge). Basically, if you turn up and don't like the room you've got to pay for it whether you're happy with it or not. Apparently, the Deputy Manager would be (quote) "Severely reprimanded by the Directors" if he didn't charge our card in this way. I suggested the room was very different from the luxury seen on the website and he just suggested that it's acceptable to show his best room on the web and that we should expect that to be the case. I didn't. I still don't. He added that I should have stipulated in my booking that I wanted a room of comparable quality to that which I had seen on the web. Ah, my mistake then.

In terms of room rates, I'd seen a discounted rate on Bookings.com but went direct to the hotel to see if they could match it and save them some money on the commission, which they gladly did. Upon check out the rate had mysteriously risen from £336 to £376 for the two nights. By this stage I was just pleased to be at the end of a totally miserable hotel experience and paid the money after being told (once again) “we'll just charge the money to your card anyway”. I wish I could run my business that way.

I asked for someone to call me to explain the price hike and indeed received one this morning from a foreign sounding chap with a poor grasp of English who just kept repeating "No, we charge extra for the children" - despite the price that I verbally agreed clearly being for the four of us (myself, wife & 2 kids). Incidentally, the emailed confirmation I’d asked for prior to arrival never appeared. Strange. I ended the call on the basis that I could argue until I was blue in the face but I was never going to see that £40 again.

My advice, fellow traveller, is to avoid this place like the bubonic plague. If you feel compelled to stay there then avoid the family bedrooms (ours was room 125), and keep your credit card details to yourself. Pay with cash as then you can control what you pay for on the basis of whether you’re satisfied. Don't let them take an imprint or details of your card, otherwise they'll just charge you regardless of whether you're satisfied or not. You have absolutely no comeback other than to cancel your card. Ideally, ask to see the room before you part with any cash or card details.

To keep it balanced, Chris(?) the bar manager was a very nice chap and served a decent pint. The location was great, as generally was the food except for the unwashed grapes which came with a thick layer of dirt on them as part of the cheese and biscuits selection. The menu was perhaps a little pretentious and may not be to everyone’s taste also, but the presentation (grapes aside) was very good.

Hope you find this useful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
14  Thank MattBCL
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2009

I have checked the paperwork for your reservation and can confirm that the receptionist did quote a rate of £376 which included dinner on the Saturday night. She did explain that dinner was an exrtra £20 per person, which is why the rate wasn't £336.

I do regret that you choose to cut your break short and would advise that the deputy manager was quite correct in following our advertised cancellation policy.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)

Reviewed April 11, 2009

I have just returned from a three night stay at this hotel with my husband. This was a very late booking and the hotel was very busy so we probably did not get the best of the rooms but even so it was very comfortable, spotlessly clean – the only thing letting it was the view – straight over the roof! That being said the hotel itself is extremely comfortable with lots of areas for you to relax in.

The staff were all extremely courteous and very professional. The bar staff were efficient and well acquainted with the wine list and although the bar prices were a little on the high side this was more than made up for by the service. The wine – a very extensive list – was overpriced, which was shame because it was the only thing that marred our stay.

We took advantage of the current daffodil offer which is truly amazing value, including bed, breakfast and dinner with the third night free (just including breakfast). The food that we had was truly some of the best food we have had in the U.K. The service was excellent with attentive staff and beautifully cooked and presented meals that made dining a wonderful experience. Breakfast was just as good with locally sourced produce and really set you up for the day.

The treatments in the spa were very good with a charming therapist and a great way to spend a rainy afternoon!

This hotel is well worth a visit – it certainly earns its reputation and we will definitely go back for another visit –maybe next time we might even get some sunshine!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TriciaBBedford
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2009

Many thanks for your comments, the whole team here at Lodore are trilled to know that their efforts are being appreciated.

I'm sorry you felt the wine list expensive. We do have house wines starting at £17.50 which we believe offers great value in such stunning surroundings.

As you say the Dafodill Break does offer tremendous value and is just one of several fantastic breaks available throughout the year at the Lodore Falls Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Reviewed April 10, 2009

This hotel is in a fantastic location, on the side of the lake and below the fells about 2 miles outside Keswick. The restaurant and lounge have a wonderful view out over the lake, comfy sofas and open fires. There is also another lounge area with open fires and comfy chairs. The service in the hotel was excellent, from the staff on reception to the waiting staff in the restaurant. Even the chamber maids had a smile. I was given a free upgrade to a fell view room on arrival - without asking! The room was delightful. Very clean and really nice furnishings and a quite frankly massive bed. Like the room the bathroom was spotless and well done out.
I had pre-booked a day in the spa in the hotel. The treatments were very good and for a spa good value for money. The hotel had a good leisure centre. The pool is a bit small but also has sauna, well equipped gym and a wonderfully positioned hot tub outside.
The food in the hotel was good but I felt very overpriced for what it was and I laughed out loud at the price of a gin and tonic (over £5!). The breakfast , dinner and room service were good and had lots of choice on all the menus. That said I knew the price of the food and drink when I booked and was prepared for it to be very pricey.
All in all had a wonderful couple of days chilling out and really didn't want to leave at the end. Will definately return at some point. Wonderful place!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank goodmojoPreston
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2009

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I have ensured that the whole team are aware of your pleasure.

I do hope to welcome you back to this beautiful part of the world in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed in this great hotel for just 2 nights during March. My husband booked this for my Christmas present. The only thing that let the whole great weekend down was when we were shown to our original room. This was a standard room and had great views of the air conditioning system. We asked for an upgraded room and were given a lovely room on the front of the hotel with a view of Derwentwater. The upgrade charge was, in my view a little steep. £20 per person per night. This cost us a further £80 that we were not budgeting for. However, it did not spoil our enjoyment and we had a great weekend break in a lovely hotel. Even the sun shone for us. The food was excellent and I would recommend the Lodore Falls Hotel to anyone who wants to visit the Lakes. We shall certainly be back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marilyn1
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2009

Many thanks for taking the time to write in respect of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoy the food and services here and have passed your comments on to all involved.

I are pleased that you took advantage of the offer to upgrade to a lake view room, my receptionist was able to provide this for £20 per person when the advertised tariff for this upgrade is £33. I'm sure you'll agree that the hotel provided a great deal.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Reviewed February 24, 2009

We have just returned from a two night stay with our two children aged 14 and 10. We paid £340 for two nights dinner bed and breakfast which we thought was reasonable as dinner is usually £35 each.
The staff were generally excellent. The only exception was the check in and check out as the people were a bit miserable. They also tried to charge us an extra £80 for the kids meals which was included in the price. They quickly adjusted it when it was pointed out but did not apologize.
The food in the hotel was excellent, but I think the sample menu on the website is a little misleading as none of the more impressive dishes were on the menu. It does change daily though.
The waterfall was very accessable and we went up a few times. Views from the front of the hotel were also very impressive.
We made use of the tennis courts and the pool. The pool was a little small and got very busy. Also people were jumping in despite signs saying not to. As a result one of our children was inches away from getting injured when two children nearly jumped on to of him.
Apart from that it is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mikepcon
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Always fancied staying at the Lodore Hotel, because it looked so nice, and it used to be called "Swiss" for some reason, which I thought was lovely. But mostly it was the location which attracted me.

Well we werent disappointed! The nice girl on reception gave us a free upgrade to a fell view room on arrivval, which was lovely with a huge bed and spotless bathroom. The food was gorgeous. The swimming pool small but immaculate. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank penky
Reviewed February 21, 2009

The hotel is absolutely lovely. We got the impression that it had not long been renovated and reading some of the earlier reviews on this site they now are very much out of date. Check-in was quick and easy, and our room - on the first floor with Lake views and stunning scenery - was wonderfully clean and the bathroom was spotless. It was very warm on arrival but the heating was easily adjusted. Nice robes to use during the visit and all the little features such as mini bottles of things are supplied. One niggley thing was that ironing facilities were not in the room (but are easily requested) and on delivery they were very worn out and a bit rickety.
The bar was relaxing and we enjoyed tea and scones whilst marvelling at the views from the large windows.
All the staff we encountered were delightful (many of them do not have English as their first language but this did not deter them from their efficiency) and the gentleman - who we presumed was the manager - was heard pretty much everywhere being very eager to please all his guests, even remembering our room number the next day. Another gentleman member of staff stopped to chat at the front of the hotel and advised us of an amazing route up the hill behind the hotel to enjoy the fantastic panoramic views across the lakes and beyond. What great advise it was as they were truly stunning!!
The restaurant was super-efficient, the food excellent - I had the vegetarian option which, ironically, I needed to request vegetables with my main dish - and my partner had the pork which, he claims, was fantastic. One girl in particular, with long black hair unfortunately obscuring her name badge, was an absolute delight and so happy and cheerful.
Features to look out for in Lodore Falls Hotel are the wonderful pictures and paintings adourning the walls, the nice falls walk at the back of the hotel and the brilliantly quirky elevator which just about fitted 2 of us with our cases!
Not being an affluent couple we certainly don't splash out on hotels of this standard often but the Lodore was really worth the money and we would definately return.
Ooh, one word of warning - be careful crossing each way from the car park to the Hotel - it is located on the corner of the road and is potentially a dangerous crossing. Cars don't tend to slow down. Take your time and don't take risks! OK public service announcement over!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steppitup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
3 mi away
The Keswick Country House Hotel

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!