“The Lodore Falls is Great!”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We visited the Lodore Falls hotel for our 10th wedding anniversary.

We were in a garden room, which while not having a view of the lake, made up for it with nice views of the gardens and the falls themselves.

The room was average sized for the UK, and had all the amenities that you'd expect for a hotel of this nature - e.g. flat screen TV, Tea & Coffee etc. The room was spotless, and appeared recently refurbished.

We stayed on a DB & B rate, and the food was lovely, though the breakfast was not quite as substantial as I would have hoped. Nevertheless, the quality was great.

The hotel is on a fairly main road, but to be honest, was far enough away from the road for it not to a nuisance. It's about a 10 min drive to Keswick, or about an hours walk around the lake, there's also a bus that stops outside the hotel.

The only other comment I would have is that there are a lot of foreign staff working there, and in fact we noticed only one person from the UK working there. That said, service was superb.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joolsleeds
Write a ReviewReviews (2,202)

Reviewed April 14, 2008

I have just returned from a 3 night stay with my friend. We left the husbands at home for a girly pamper/walking break. The porter was wonderful and carried our entire luggage from the car directly to the room with no concerns (we had a lot). The receptionists were all very helpful and polite. I only booked the day before, so didn’t have a choice of room type. They only had 1 twin room available, which happened to be one of the rooms not yet upgraded. However, it was to an average 3 star standard, very clean, comfortable and warm. The bathroom was cold and I hope that they improve the heating when they do refurbish the room. I did see a few of the upgraded rooms with a lake view and I would have preferred one of these rooms, although my spendthrift friend didn’t agree with me. The upgraded rooms were easily a 4 star standard and very nice. The lounges were all really cozy and comfortable with fires lit all day. The highlight of the stay had to be the food. Canapés in the bar before dinner was perfect. The evening meals were to a very high standard, excellently presented and wonderful flavours. 6 courses and we never had enough room for cheese and biscuits. The service in the restaurant was smooth and professional when the European blond woman was on duty, however when service changed on our last day the gentleman who took over didn’t seem to operate his team in the same way and this was evident to our breakfast service. On this morning several guests complained of cold breakfasts and we did have undercooked toast. A requested second jug of coffee took 30 minutes to arrive. However the cooked breakfasts including smoked salmon and scrambled egg (extra supplement) were wonderful. If you want a lake view dinning table be sure to request it when you book, as you are allocated the same table throughout your stay. My friend and I booked a pamper morning on our second day (be sure to book in advance). We are experienced spa break people and the service was below average in the spa. The manager was on holiday and this was obvious. The therapist I had didn’t know I was booked in for 3 different treatments and continued to ask me to get dressed and make my way back to the relaxation room after each treatment, only to return and laugh as she had me again for the next hour. My friend had the therapist Carl, yes she was worried when faced with a male therapist but she defiantly had better service than I did. I know because I asked for a treatment with Carl the following day and what a difference! The spa it’s self was very nice, calm and relaxing although the refreshments facilities available here need upgrading. The facility to boil water was too confusing, there was no milk or sweeteners, just a cup of what looked old brown sugar. The leisure area was small but nice to have, very clean and relaxing. My only complaint here is the lack of parental control. The pool is small with no separate child section, so why allow children to take a 6 foot inflatable crocodile in the pool? 8 children in the pool fill it, never mind the crocodile. A big disappointment. I am not against children in the pool however I would have like an adult time only facility, not much to ask... I will stay again, but make sure it is out of school holidays, specify which therapist I am having before I book, make sure I pre-book my table in the restaurant and upgrade my room to a lake side view. I loved to see the two weddings that took place during my stay at the hotel and they didn’t deter from my stay, but were very nice to see. I would recommend anyone to visit this hotel. The lake views are perfect, the launch around the lake or into Keswick is delightful for those who want to walk into Keswick, it only took 1 ½ hours. There are many delightful walk directly from the hotel and you really do feel you could be in Switzerland.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank seansid
Reviewed February 25, 2008

hi just came back from the lodore fall hotel and this is our second visit and did not disopoint us. although staff are now mainly from abroad was not a problem exept at breakfast they got 50% of food right, the staff on reception are not that friendly ,be warned ,they could do with some customer service lessons but we new that and ignored them.probbly not happy as on wrong side of counter, well we going again in september becouse the positives outway the negatives ie reception .

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank ry40uk
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Just back from our first walking break in the Lakes. We stayed one night and found the hotel very comfortable. Beautiful lake view room, wonderful bathroom. Upon our return from walking we were welcomed and enjoyed a lovely evening meal in the restuarant. The menu was different with a choice of 4 main courses, none of which were what we would normally order, but chose goose and it was lovely. There is a small indoor pool, a beauty salon, an outdoor pool and tennis court and lots of lovely comfortable sofas with plenty of reading materials and fires to relax by. I think we'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I arranged our winter booster break to the Lodore Falls Hotel as a surprise 50th Birthday break for my husband. We were certainly not dissappointed! The hotel was fabuluous, the lakeside room was immaculate and the view spectacular, the food and service wonderful, the staff friendly and helpful and even the weather reasonably kind to us for February!! We would most definately return again, prehaps in the spring or summer to appreciate more the beautiful countryside around the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank TOMMYLiverpool
Reviewed February 3, 2008

We have just returned from a 2 night booster break at the lodore. We were very impressed from the moment we arrived, helpful efficient Reception staff to check you in and a porter to help with your bags. The hotel is in a beautiful location and we booked a Lake view room (well worth the extra) the room was spacious, plush, modern and very comfortable. The restaurant staff are out of this world and manage to make each guest feel special and pampered they are attentive to your every need. The food is delightful good choice and beautifully presented and very tasty (i wonder if the chef has a wife!!!) all in all a fabulous stay in a fabulous hotel in the beautiful Lake District.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank CheshireMisty1
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We were having quite a nice week, the room was comfortable the weather was kind to us, we did not like the food, but that was our taste, too covered in sauces. The staff were efficient and pleasant and all was well until the weekend. On the Friday evening a large party of wedding guests arrived for a wedding on the Saturday and proceeded to drink and smoke for two whole days and two nights. Because of the smoking ban they were outside in the front of the hotel beneath our room and speaking very loudly so that we got very little sleep for two nights. We met with the duty manager in the middle of the night who could not control them. The bar remained open although the guests were obviously very drunk. They were offensive and threatening to us. We did not expect to find guests like these at a quiet Lake District Hotel. We were offered no recompense except for a couple of free nights at the future date. Needless to say we would not return. There was another wedding the following day (which was not quite so bad) and we were very glad to be leaving the day after that.

Stayed: September 2007
10  Thank Jacqueline3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!