“Loved The Lodore”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We really enjoyed our two night dinner, bed & breakfast stay at this hotel which we booked via a Travelzoo deal.

When we arrived, there was a busy wedding based in the function room and I feared the worst in terms of potential impact on customer services. I need not have worried as we were soon checked in to our first floor room and back downstairs enjoying our complimentary hot chocolate & crumpets - and the magnificent view - in the lounge bar.

Our well presented bedroom was an adequate size, with two armchairs, a flat screen TV and plenty of wardrobe & draw space. The bed was large and very comfortable, the bathroom recently renovated with the shower above the bath. There were tea and coffee making facilities which were regularly replenished, but no fridge or safe. Our room was at the back of the hotel and was quiet, other than the occasional heavy footed fellow guest passing by. Rooms at the front of the hotel have views of the lake.

We were most courteously dealt with by all the staff – at reception, in the bar and in the restaurant - the majority of whom appeared to originally be from Eastern Europe. They were all very attentive and never did we have to struggle to attract anyone’s attention or be understood.
The food was very good, with a good variety of choices being available both at dinner and breakfast.

We made the five minute walk to the landing stage on the lake to catch the launch across to the other side and walked around the shore back to the hotel. The Hotel supplied launch tickets at a discounted price. We didn’t make use of the pool, gym or spa so cannot make comment.

The hotel is situated on its own about five miles south of Keswick and the dark , wet evenings did not encourage us to have a walk outside at night. I believe there is about one bus an hour in either direction from outside the hotel during the day, and traffic seemed very light on the road outside the hotel in the evening. I struggled to get a mobile phone signal in the hotel itself, but just outside it was possible.

Would we return? Yes - especially if we could secure another deal similar to this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Many thanks for your wonderful review of our very special Lodore Falls hotel.

It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed you stay with us last month with all aspects of the the visit being well received, I am especially pleased to read that the team here looked after you well as I do believe that I am blessed with an amazing group of enthusiastic and professional people who do get a genuine buzz out of doing their job well.

Thank you once again for you kind words and I do look forward to having the pleasure of your company again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Lodore Falls Hotel

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a two night break at the Lodore Falls .After reading reviews here I booked a Lake view room, feeling it would be worth the extra expense. On our arrival, we were upgraded to the Catbells Suite (room 301). It was wonderful! A lovely large bedroom, good sized bathroom and a spacious lounge. Both rooms had large windows with spectacular views of the lake and fells. The bed was large and comfortable with feather pillows and everything was spotlessly clean.
We had breakfast and dinner on both days and the food was exceptional. Breakfast was plentiful with a huge variety and top quality. Dinner was superb- beautifully cooked and again top quality. Service was prompt but not rushed.
The staff were all excellent from the young lad who heaved our luggage up 3 floors (the lift was occupied) to the impeccably polite , efficient yet friendly waiting staff. Previous comments mentioned that most of the staff are eastern european. That may be so, but their training has been excellent and they were by far the best hotel staff we have come across. Reception staff were also very friendly and efficient.. We enjoyed using the indoor pool and had a fab time in the hot-tub. Being half-term the hotel was full. Earlier comments moaned that all the visitors were elderly. While we were there, there was a mixture of all ages from families with young children, young couples, middle aged couples like us and yes some elderly folk. The lounges were large, warm and comfortable. We particularly enjoyed taking coffee in the lounge after dinner
We very much enjoyed taking the launch from the jetty up to Keswick and walking up to the waterfalls behind the hotel. There is lots to see and do in the area as well as walking of course.
We would thoroughly recommend the hotel and would love to visit again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of this most special hotel, I am delighted to read that you had such a great time with us. It is especially gratifying to read how well the team here looked after you and I also think that they are the best team I've ever come across as well.

Thank you once again for your kind words and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to our fantastic hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked this particular hotel, as I wanted to take my wife away somewhere special for her birthday as a suprise. As we had got married at the same hotel a few years ago, I thought it would be perfect for her. I booked a 4 night stay with dinner. The setting could not get any better, what a view across Derwentwater to see Catbells and further away Skiddaw. The staff at this hotel are terrific and they talk to you, and were always pleasant, we did not have to keep prompting them on our room number when ordering drinks, as they remembered. The decor all through the hotel is 1st class, and in my humble opinion a classy place to stay. The food was superb, the choice was limited to four main courses but at least you know it is going to be good quality, and it sure was, I left half a stone heavier because of the breakfast alone! My wife had a two hour massage and facial, which was excellent. The leisure area was very clean warm and very enjoyable. Our room was very tastefully furnished, with a very comfy bed, and was just how a hotel room should be. Considering that the hotel was very busy, we never felt rushed, or had to wait for anything. This hotel is well worth visiting and we will certainly be staying again in the future.

1  Thank Peter B

Many, many thanks for your wonderful review of our fantastic Lodore Falls Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great time with us, I really do have an amazing team here and am so proud of them all when reading your words.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience on this site, we do very much look forward to welcoming you back to this most special corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel is situated close to Lake Derwent with stunning views. It is a nice hotel with mainly helpful and friendly staff. The room was nicely decorated and had comfortable beds. The breakfast was very nice. Our only complaint was the noise coming from the room above us ( we were in room 125). There is very little sound proofing and the pacing up and down of the guests above us and a barking dog (there are lots of dogs at this hotel) went on in to the early hours- most annoying and enough to put me off going again. We did complain to reception but the noise continued. Upon checking out, I mentioned it again to the manager(?) who was quite indifferent and told us to get a room on the floor above if we ever visited again... when I mentioned we had been put off by the noise, he nonchalantly replied: " Oh well " without any real care for his hotel guests. Wrong attuitude.

Room Tip: Don't go in room 125
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank EBennett239

Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site, I am pleased to read that the room was comfortable and the breakfast of super quality.

I am sorry that noise from other guests affected your rest whilst with us and can assure you that neither I nor any of my managers met with you when you checked out. I would be pleased to know who you spoke to as the response you describe is most certainly not what I would expect from any of my team.

Thank you once again for you review and I can be contacted on stephen@lodorefallshotel.co.uk
should you be able to assist with the identity of the person you spoke with.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Look out for their special offers. They are given whenever the demand falls and intended to fill the mid week rooms. Weekends are busy but you can go then but for a higher price. This Victorian hotel has a delightful location at the south end of Derwent Water and has a public jetty for the Lake launch which circles hourly, In recent years more rooms and a spa have added. The hotel is ideal for a base for several walks. (we did not take our car out of the car park-car parking is awful in The Lakes.), The restaurant is excellent. There are lots of keen staff there and the food is a treat. The wine list is long and even includes some half bottles. Full bottles start for about £20.Check your price when leave. There was a mistake in our bill. ( quickly rectified).

Room Tip: The best rooms face the lake and cost more. They are in the old part of the hotel. Each room appears...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our fantastic Lodore Falls Hotel on this site, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel in general and the food in particular.

You're right the Lodore Halls Hotel is a great base for many interesting walks and once here why not just leave the car parked up and use either the launch or regular bus service to get in and out of the beautiful town of Keswick.

Many thanks once again for your wonderful words and I do very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to this most special corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were walking around Derwentwater and decided to stop at the Lodore Falls Hotel for a cup of coffee before taking the launch back to Keswick. It was a very rainy day and our walking group of 6 were all wet and cold. So imagine our relief when we were welcomed by a friendly barman inviting us to sit by one of the roaring fires drying out and warming up before going back out in the rain. Soon hot coffees arrived together with a plate of deliciously homemade biscuits (ginger, shortbread and brownies) and we felt very welcome and well looked after even though we were dripping wet and didn't look particular smart, when we arrived. We often walk in the Lake District and this warm welcome has made a lasting impression and one of the couples in our party from down south has already decided to book a break at this hotel in December,
when it's supposed to look very pretty with all it's Xmas decorations (according to the friendly barman, who was also a good salesman!). But if you are not staying at this hotel them we can definitely recommend it as a watering hole on your walks in the Borrowdale Valley.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your review, we are always delighted to welcome walkers and I'm pleased to read that the team in the lounge made you comfortable during your recent visit.

We are just about to put up the Christmas decorations inside and out, my barman was quite right....the hotel does look amazing throughout the whole festive season.

Thank you once again for your kind words, we very much hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have spent much less money on much nicer rooms, just a bit small and outdated for the cost. The food was very good and the staff were polite enough. Great location on the lake and by the falls. Loved the spa facilities after a long walk up Scafell Pike, would like to go back again but probably wouldn't due to the costs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonno_1983
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review our beautiful Lodore Falls Hotel on this site.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your kind comments to all concerned. I am sorry that you felt the room to be small and dated but as we have refurbished every room in the hotel over the last few years, I do find this to be a little harsh.

Thank you once again for your review and I do look forward to welcoming you back to this most wonderful corner of the Lake District again in the future.

Stephen Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!