“If it's hit and miss, we definitely got a hit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“If it's hit and miss, we definitely got a hit!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I've just returned from a weekend at this wonderful hotel and all I can say is I loved every minute and every thing about it! OK, it may be not to everyone's taste but if you want a boutique hotel experience I'm sure there are plenty of places around and it's pretty clear when you look at the website that this is more traditional and that's what I loved after the sterile corporate places I stay in with work! Maybe I couldn't see the flaws or signs of it being 'dated' because I wear glasses but they weren't evident to me.

We got a really good deal through Voyage Prive so paid £280 for 2 nights bed breakfast and dinner for two. Usually these 'deal' sites mean that you get the lowest cost room but I was very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a lake view room on arrival without asking - and what a view it was!

Almost without exception, all members of the (mainly Hungarian I was told) staff were polite and friendly and a real credit to the hotel.

The bar area was lovely with the views across Derwentwater. Bar prices were reasonable given the glorious setting.

Our upgraded lake view room was very nice indeed - although in the front extension which was rather ugly from the outside(what were the planners thinking back then!!) it was beautifully furnished with an incredibly comfy large bed.

The food at dinner both nights was exceptional and beautifully presented and didn't feel at all rushed even though one night we booked for 8.30.

I can't comment on the spa was we were out walking all day but the gardens looked super and I can imagine on a summer's day the outdoor pool would be amazing.

Just a wonderful weekend at a hotel that I drove past in my 20's (when it was the Lodore Swiss) when camping in Keswick and never dreamed I'd get to stay here!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SazzB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Firstly, the location of this hotel is what makes it. Set in stunning scenery and a prime location, you can see why this hotel is so popular with guests. On arrival, our check in was swift, yet was somewhat tricky, baring in mind that the staff are mainly foreign. However, ALL staff we came across were courteous and kind, which made the language break down less frustrating (I suppose that's Britain these days)! The lift is somewhat unique- but this all adds to the character, though some would say, dated, hotel. We had the Derwent Water Suite. Well, what a view! I'll say no more. The beds were very nice. The room was hot on the first night, but we managed to turn the radiators down by the 2nd night. The bathroom is good, with a more than satisfactory shower. The tvs are all good and the wifi was perfectly adequate. However, the room does seem rather tired- what about some more furnishings? Also, there are some very old books and free CD's- get rid of them! Get some new things in. It felt like I was going back to 1998! The food is absolutely delectable with good value for money. Please, do get the waiters to smile! We really don't bite! The guy on the door was fantastic and made the experience. I would have to aggree in that the courses were served very quickly. Why not stagger it out more? The spa facilities are second to none. The indoor pool is warm and sauna is very good- although, keep it topped up with water to stop it going dry. The hot tub is fantastic! The views are spectacular and the tub was a good size- just book in advance! Some of the caps on the hot tub are off (the blow setting's cap is off, so an eruption of air come from the side of the product. Tennis courts and gymn are all super. Food can be ordered from the desk. Goggles etc... are loaned no questions asked!
Seating area is good, with gas fires which are very authentic. However, the furnishing are worn and tired- take a closer look! I thought this hotel was 4 star- well, some of the furnishings wouldnt warrant 3!
However, on the whole a fab hotel. Just get those flaws sorted, then you'll be satisfying more people! Food, facilities and staff are great- well done! Just get those flaws tidied up, and you'll be well on the way to 5. Please modernise the rooms. Also, if you hate wedding parties, I wouldn't stay here. Personally, I think it makes the hotel more vibrant, but never roudy. Watch for a few noisy kids around the pool!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with views! (just don't be expecting grand rooms, but good views) any other room n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard H
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Having returned from The Lodore Falls Hotel after parting with £324 (B&B) for a 2 room suite (The Manesty) I have to say we can't help but feel disappointed.

The disappointment was with our room/suite. In other respects the hotel manages to balance my review towards the centre, but we'll come to that in a while.

The first thing to note is that we hadn't realised the car parking facilities at the hotel are actually over the road and are not secure. Your car is basically parked at the back of a block of garages and despite the remote location I did leave ours feeling it was somewhat exposed. At this level of hotel/price I anticipated the minimum of a gated parking area and I remain convinced that when we stayed here some 14 years ago that parking was different.

Check-in itself was swift and without issue, but you'll enter the Lodore Falls and if you're anything like us you'll find yourself trying to decide whether it is 'traditionally styled' or simply dated. On reflection and after a closer view of other areas of the hotel I'm afraid to say it is just dated. Carpets are threadbare in places - and I really do mean you're seeing the hessian back under the carpet (particularly on the stairs).

However, our main disappointment was our room. When you pay £324 you expect a little better decor than we encountered. Brown, old looking (not traditional, there's a difference) and generally lacking any inspiration at all. The room had a large glass vase in it which it appears has been deemed 'decor' because someone has shoved a large twig in it. I don't mean a nice twig - I mean a wooden twig that didn't even fit and sat a foot off the bottom because it has just been 'plonked' in there.

The bathroom had very obviously been built into the bedroom as an addition and whilst it was much more modern than the bedroom and living area it felt a little 'cheap'. Gaps between the tiles and the door frame, doors under the sink that were ill-fitted, a toilet flush button that didn't always return to its original position after flushing - all small points but items which you notice when you're expecting a little more.

The bedroom itself was compact to say the least with a double bed in it and there was very little room to move on the window side (you could just about walk down the side of the bed).

As I've mentioned the windows it also seems apt to mention the view - ours was stunning - directly out over the front (to the right side) of the hotel and Derwentwater. However, I was surprised and somewhat alarmed to note the windows do not have safety openers on them - they open fully and as you're up at a fair height I would at least warn those staying with children to be aware of this.

Beyond our initial and in-room disappointment, things did improve dramatically.

If you look beyond the updating (in our room at least) and in some of the public areas you'll find The Lodore Falls staff are a gem. We felt genuinely welcome, they were excellent with children (not just our own, but others we witnessed too) and their patience and courtesy was excellent. I'd go as far as to say they were some of the most friendly staff we've ever encountered and the Hotel should be applauded for that.

Dinner was a surprise as we were given a table d'hote menu and no option of a la carte. That said, the choice was good and the food was very good too. It tasted fresh and the only complaint we'd have was that we felt rather rushed. We booked for 8pm and were all but done by 9.15pm with our courses having an almost 'express' feel to them - but they were good. The cost per head was £36 and I think that was good value.

We left the dinining room to spend 30 minutes with coffee in a lovely area behind main reception with a roaring fire and a library type seating area. The books, pictures and general look and feel in here is quite nice - but again if you look past 'at a glance' you'll note things are getting rather dated. It's therefore a surprise to visit the toilets towards the rear of this area and find they're ultra-modern, ultra clean and very nice indeed. Perhaps the hotel is going through phrased modernisation/improvement.

The gardens and grounds are very nice and very well kept. There is a lovely decked area overlooking the stream and more work appears to be underway here with a new pathway being laid to a new pagoda style area. There is a well kept swimming pool, squash courts and what appeared to be a covered hot-tub towards the rear. So in terms of facilities the hotel does give much more than you're likely to find in most Lake District destinations.

Breakfast was superb. It tasted excellent, we didn't feel rushed as we had for dinner and we all enjoyed a thoroughly well prepared, cooked and tasty start to the day. Again, staff were very good indeed (even in the face of dealing with an incredibly rude and arrogant female guest sat at a table close to us who appeared to want to treat everyone she met like dirt - they handled her very professionally and much more subtley than I think most other hotel staff would have done).

A few other comments that I think may be pertinent to future visitors - the rooms were hot on a night. We started to feel a little uncomfortable and were glad to be heading down for breakfast. However, you may be able to control that yourself - it was something we didn't check as we were departing.

We had flat screen TV's in both rooms and they worked with a small selection of Freeview channels (whilst you don't go to the Lakes to watch TV, it did keep our youngest amused whilst waiting for us to get ready).

Wifi connectivity was dire. Incredibly slow, but it is free. If we'd been staying for any length of time it would have been an issue and they need to try to improve this in this day and age in our opinion.

The hotel appears to be attracting a lot of ramblers. We don't recall this from the past and we've no issues with most ramblers at all. Indeed they're usually very friendly, but we encountered a few of them not very quick to move as they removed their outer-gear and boots at the entrance.

In summary, we had a decent stay and staff and the dining recovered what would have otherwise been a poor review. However, I'm afraid to say we won't return until we know improvement or modernisation to key areas has taken place.

Nice though it was, we couldn't help but feel that for one night at £324 plus another £150 for our evening meal and wine - we'd have got a lot better elsewhere (and indeed have had significantly better elsewhere in the past for that type of money).

I'd like to finish by saying I do hope the hotel take these comments onboard constructively. It is a stunning setting and has vast potential. A previous reviewer hit the nail on the head though - it is feeling very tired and as a guest you very quickly get that impression and start to notice it even more as you explore.

Room Tip: The Manesty suite, 201, is disappointing in our opinion and not worth anything like the £324 per nig...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zillion
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful, traditional Lodore Falls Hotel on this site. I am pleased to have this opportunity to respond to the points you raise:

The extensive parking facilities at Lodore are located in front of the hotel for our disabled guests and across the quiet B5289. The car park is not secured over night but is patrolled day and night by our portering team, additionally we do have garages available for residents who wish to use them. Having checked with some of our longer serving staff, I can advise that this arrangement has been in place for many years.

I am pleased the reception team looked after you well on your arrival, I can't disagree with your comment about an area of stair carpet but as we have constantly been upgrading the hotel since it's purchase 8 years ago I can assure you that it is on our list of refurbishment jobs to soon be completed.

The tariff charged for the room you occupied was heavily discounted and I find your comments regarding our suite unfair and extremely inaccurate. It's a shame you didn't place a photo of the room on your review so that other readers could judge whether your comments are fair.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of the staff at Lodore, I am very proud of each and every one of them and it is most gratifying to see their efforts being recognised.

We offer a daily table d' hote menu, which ensures that the selection is always seasonal and fresh.

Your comment regarding the lounges and toilets interests me as it does maybe indicate that you prefer "ultra modern" to the more traditional?

Rooms do have individual thermostatic heating controls so that guests are able to select a temperature which they find comfortable.

We are pleased to offer free wifi throughout the hotel, I regret that you experienced difficulty and do wish that you had made us aware of this prior to leaving as I'm sure we could have helped.

Lodore Falls is pleased to welcome ramblers, we do get quite a few round here. The fact that people remove their boots before coming into the hotel is a very welcome sign of respect for the property.

I'm sorry that you don't feel able to return to our most wonderful hotel and can assure you that we will continue to sympathetically improve our facilities, ensuring that we always offer fantastic service and great value for money in this most wonderful corner of the Lake District.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Firstly, the hotel itself is nice, but you get the feeling is past its former glory. While the furniture is well kept, the place does feel slightly tired, the execption being rooms which are all modern and well kept. Staff standards are very good, and everyone is helpful and polite. We ate in the resturant one night which we was happy with the food. The menu changes each night so you could happily eat without leaving the hotel. There is also 2 good bar areas, including one by the fire place which was relaxing.

The review probably would have been a high 4 if it wasnt for what was classed as a "spa". We booked the hotel originally based on the idea that as a couple's break we would enjoy the walking or activities in the morning and relax in the spa in the afternoon. The spa itself is really a standard leisure center pool with a sauna next to it. Theres nothing really relaxing about it, and kids have full access, so expect diveboming and screaming. The sauna on our visit was being operated by a 7 year old who was dumping a full bucket of water on the coals every 10 seconds so we stayed clear of that!

If you are a family with young kids, i think this would this would be a 5, however for a young couple there would probably be better suited places.

Room Tip: It is not a "Spa" - Great for young families.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

A very beautiful imposing hotel in a fantastic location for any wedding. The food was sumptuous and beautifully presented for the wedding breakfast and evening reception the chef had even carved our initials into the beef and the butter was all carved into roses to fit in with the wedding theme. The attention to detail was amazing.

The staff could not do enough for us, from flambéing the pancakes at our meal the night before the wedding in the stunning lake view restaurant to entertaining our evening guests and serving drinks.

The penthouse suite, which my mum and dad stayed in. was sumptuous and its balcony had stunning views and made for excellent photographs. It also had its own separate living area where we had breakfast served the morning of the wedding.

The tower suite which myself and my husband had had stunning views of the surrounding area and we thoroughly enjoyed the champagne breakfast the following morning.

I would recommend this hotel for your wedding or for a night away in the lakes as it is truly in a lovely location with its own private jetty, waterfall within the ground and other lovely scenic areas to explore, my wedding photographs are truly spectacular!

Room Tip: all of the lake view rooms are lovely, most of our wedding guests had these and I personally saw the...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natalie a
durham
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This must be the best hotel to stay in around Keswick and the Northeren lakes.
We have just returned from the lodore falls and were absolutely delighted with everything from our room to the attentive way in all the staff worked to make our stay enjoyable,the reception and staff are the best we have had the pleasure of being with ,attention to detail of the food and quality of meals by the head chef is fantastic and he and Orsi,Monica,Magdalena,Juame,Miguel deserve a special mention .They are a credit to the Lodore as are everybody else who work there,all in all we had a brilliant 4 night stay AND WILL RETURN AGAIN SOON.
David & Christine Wright

Room Tip: lake view rooms are available but we were happy with a fell view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dvdwrght7
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I write this as someone who has just returned from a suprise birthday stay at the lovely Lodore Falls Hotel,and I can honestly say I have enjoyed every minute.On arrival we parked at the front of the hotel and reception staff arranged for a porter to take our baggage from the car to our room.You are then asked to park your car in the hotel's carpark on the opposite side of the road.As we were on the third floor we took the lift...yes it's small but adequate .. and made our way to the Tower suite. Its worth noting that there is another rather steep flight of stairs into the suite itself but once you get there you are overcome with the urge to run up to the 4 picture windows and just drink in the view - its just lovely.
The Tower suite was clean,nicely furnished and comprised main bedroom with sofa and 2 chairs beside the windows,bathroom and separate w.c. The shower was fantastic - so powerful - and just what you need after a long walk.The bed is large and extra comfortable and we both slept like babies ... its was incredibly silent all through the night.Bottled water,tea,coffee & hot chocolate replaced every morning.
We ate both nights in the hotel restaurant.The choice of food was good and the quality very good-excellent. The restaurant staff were delightful...professional but with a sense of humour and very attentive.The sticky toffee pudding was the nicest i've ever tasted and the main meals were delicious and plentiful.
Breakfast is also taken in the restaurant and again the choice is good with plenty of toast tea and coffee offered.
If you want to leave the car you just need to walk left out of the hotel and along the road a short distance till you get to the walkway around the end of the lake which is delightful,good walking surface and offers plenty of photo opportunities.There is the opportunity to order picnics to take with you from recepition also if you wish.
In all,the room,the wonderful views,the food and the staff have all been quite perfect and I can really really recommend the tower suite for a special birthday suprise...... in fact there is really only one little negative and that was my boyfriend has ordered champagne,chocolates and flowers for our room and unfortunatly the champagne had been overlooked. We queried this with reception on the first night and they were very appologetic saying they would have it delivered to the room the next morning when it was made up. By 1.30 pm the next day it still hadnt arrived so we had to mention it again and on our return to the room it was waiting for us in an ice bucket so although it was a niggle , it was sorted out without too much fuss.The flowers were lovely and fresh and the chocs good too.
We completed our stay with 2 spa treatments which were very good. The pool is small but lovely and warm,and there is a sauna and a hot tub which is outside with nice views and i would recomend you book it. I was told by a fellow guest there is a walk to the top of Lodore falls at the back of the hotel but we will be saving that until our next visit which I hope won't be too far away.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to it go for the Tower Suite. The views alone are worth it .
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littleschmooo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!