“The Most Beautiful Setting on Earth? Possibly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
england
“The Most Beautiful Setting on Earth? Possibly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed at Lodore for one night only as part of our office Christmas outing. Nestled on the side of Derwent water, the title says it all about the setting. It really does make you instantly unwind just being in such a beautiful, tranquil location.
Certainly not a modern hotel - large door keys and a tiny old lift - but it is very well maintained, clean and characterful. Comfortable bed and a hearty breakfast are also positives. For me there were no real negatives; even the food in the function room during the evening (salmon, sea bass and Christmas pudding) was of a very high standard.
I would recommend this hotel for walking, relaxing or a combination of the two.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Just spent a fabulous 3 nights at this hotel celebrating my 60th birthday. I was really impressed. The food was beautifully presented and really very tasty. The service was good with the waitresses/waiters very polite and friendly as were the other hotel staff. It is worth having a lake view room as there is a fabulous view despite all the snow and rain we had! The room was very clean and very cosy and the bed really comfy. I can't find fault at all. We had a deal through Travelzoo so it was was lovely to have the extras included, the Pimms and teacakes, the glass of wine and canapes. It all added to a brilliant stay.

Room Tip: We had the Club room, (104), which had a floor to ceiling window which made the most of the view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cundall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

I booked a trip to the Lakes for my husbands birthday present, to go on our anniversary as it was where he proposed. There was a 'note' section on the website when booked and I put this in, and thought nothing more of it. When we arrived (we stayed a Sunday/Monday night) the receptionist advised that we had been upgraded free of charge! AND when we got to our room, there was a birthday card for my husband, an anniversary card for us both and a box of chocolates... attention to detail was first class, much appreciated and a lovely touch to our trip!!

I had read reviews on this site about the restaurant being 'too smart' etc, so as a precuation took my husband shopping for some new clothes!! The was nothing 'too smart' or 'pretentious' about the restaurant.. understandably there was a no jeans or trainers policy, but we both felt extremely comfortable, not stuffy. The food was incredible!! The 4 courses came quickly, but cooked to perfection. We couldn't fault the food at all. The waiters were exceptional, happy to help in every way and couldn't do enough to please! We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Before we ate we sat in the bar and had a drink... I couldnt decide which cocktail I wanted so the barman asked what fruits/liquours I liked and whipped me one up from scratch! DELICIOUS! We were served canapes, and had a relaxing time before our dinner.

Our room was perfect. Reasonably sized, with a beautiful view of the lake. It was immaculate, comfortable and exactly what we were looking for. The beds were enormous! I fitted horizontally across it! We had read about the 'small lift'... we fitted quite comfortably in it, with all of our luggage (a lot of luggage!) so there were no complaints there... although we prefered to take the stairs as they were lovely and in keeping with the theme of the hotel.

I had a massage in the spa, the lady was lovely. She managed to fit me in last minute (my husbands fault) and I had an extremely relaxing and enjoyable time. We forgot our swimming things, but will definitely be remembering them next time as the facilities looked great! There is also FREE wifi in the hotel for your entire stay with no limitations :)

This is a 'dog friendly' hotel, we didn't see any dog hairs or anything like that, and we think it is great that they allow family pets too! When we come next year we will definitly be bringing our mutt, as the walks around the hotel are FANTASTIC! The waterfall behind the hotel is a sight to remember, and we cannot wait to bring our dog, and to go exploring!

Check out was smooth, and we were sad to go! I was delighted to check my emails when I returned home to see I had been sent an email thanking me for booking to stay with them, and an offer for my next booking... Now I can't wait to treat my husband (and dog!!) for a trip next year as their Christmas present!!

WORTH EVERY PENNY, A MUST-GO-TO HOTEL!

Room Tip: After being upgraded to a Lakeview room we would definitely pay the little extra to be in one as the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victoria_hardy
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

Brilliant as usual - thank you to all the team for a wonderful stay. But here's the WOW factor - I was sat in the lounge finishing off a drink with the family, decided to head to bed only to find the next morning one of the team hand me £1.60 with - "I think that must have dropped out of your pocket last night when you were sitting on that chair" - now that is service, honesty and trust all rolled up into one that makes this hotel and the team who run it so special.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ThewalkersScotland
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

Derwent water is beautiful and this is a great hotel from which to explore it. The staff are excellent. The rooms are a good size, comfortably furnished and clean. The restaurant is very good and I would recommend eating there in the evening. The only reason I would not give it 5/5 is because other hotels in the Lakes have better pool/sauna facilities.

Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed for two nights at the weekend. Arrived to find we had been upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise and a good start to the weekend! The rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable. There was a DVD player with a selection of CD's and DVD's if you wanted to just watch a film or listen to music.
This is a 'dog friendly' hotel which might put some 'non' dog owners off.
Don't let it.
Despite quite a number of dog owners being in residence, you simply would not have known it! The dogs were very much like the proverbial Victorian child, 'seen but not heard'.
The hotel was clean at all times and a credit to the staff and management. The service they provided was excellent, without fuss and super efficient!

The restaurant staff exemplified this, managing to serve four courses in an hour, in a busy restaurant! You may think this is a little bit too quick, but we never felt rushed. The staff were simply 'on the ball' and very professional. No doubt you could slow things up if you wanted to but we were happy to return to the cosy lounges with their lovely fires.

Now for the complaint. The food was so good we didn't want to leave anything on our plates. (My compliments to the chef(s). Unfortunately, we didn't, and I left the Lodore far heavier than when I arrived!!!!!
I would love to stay for Christmas but I don't think my waistline could stand it.
A lovely hotel, super service and excellent food.

Room Tip: A lakeview room would just make your stay all the more special.
1 Thank Mortgagemiser
oxon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We had a most enjoyable 2 nights here in early November. Lake view room on 3rd floor was perfect even if the TV cupboard was a trifle large! All staff were friendly and efficient and breakfast and dinner most enjoyable. As mentioned the lift is a la Grace Bros' but porters are on hand. Probably my 5th visit over the last 30 years and I am pleased to recommend it more than ever.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,237 reviews
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!