“Location, location, location....nothing more.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashness Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Borrowdale
Ashness Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 16 Borrowdale B&B and Inns
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location....nothing more.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for a week in the spring, in what is now the self catering part, not B&B. It was not nice I am afraid. The windows had to be left ajar as the place was damp otherwise. The furniture and everything about it was really dated and musty. The bath was stained. There was no shower except a handheld one which dribbled water. A camping stove as a cooker. Cobwebs in cupboards and everything felt grubby. There was nowhere to hang your wet coats unless you put them in the wardrobe in the bedroom. The TV was stupidly small and no DVD player. There were no luxuries at all, and to be honest lacking on the necessities.
The location is faultless, stunning views and the area around it is just beautiful.
But I am afraid the cottage itself was horrible, and really needs a revamp, placed as a 3* rating on the site we booked was totally wrong, Id say 2* if that.
We ended up staying in a hotel for the night, as we were miserable there, never again! I have stayed all around the UK, and paid the usual rate I'd pay anywhere else but got nowhere near the accomadation I'd expect for the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We visited Ashness Cottage as I remember going to Ashness bridge when I was younger. I actually had other things in mind as I proposed to my girlfiriend at the beautiful Surprise Veiw. What a location. It is 5 minutes walk from the Cottage and is just magical watching the sunset hit the mountains over Derwent Water. If you go down the road the other way from the cottage, you get to Ashness bridge which is a serene place with a small bridge which is over a little river. The background is mountains. The Derwent when we were there was partly frozen over and looked amazing with the reflections of the mountain in the water.

So onto the cottage. We arrived and were allocated rooms. My girlfriend had the double room and she commented that it was very comfortable and warm. Her veiw was amazing looking over the Derwent! My room was ok, it was a single bed which was comfortable and the room was fine. The only issue was it had no double glazing and so was very cold in the night. I had a big quilt though!

Breakfast was excellent, everything you could want from a full english. There was also a small communal tv room but you'd never really use it apart from an evening maybe.

The hosts were very friendly but not too imposing as they just left us to get on and come and go when we liked.

Room Tip: Double rooms are best.