“Very friendly! :0)”

Ranked #1 of 2 Beckermet B&B and Inns
england
“Very friendly! :0)”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My partner and I visited for the weekend and had a lovely stay. The village is very quiet and an ideal getaway! Staff were lovely and very very friendly-nothing was too much trouble. Food was great and the room was homely. We will definitely be visiting again! :0)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dannimac247

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Went on Friday night arrived around 7.00pm. Met by the owner and a young lady. There had been a bit of a mix up with the booking (that wasnt done direct to the hotel but through another company) who hadnt passed on all the relevant information, Everything sorted with out any hassle. Rooms lovely and clean and ample space and drawer and wardrobe space, Went for a meal after unpacking our case lovely. Hot and freshly prepared hubby had the steak and Ale pie said it was one of the best he had ever had. Full english breakfast cooked fresh when going to the dining room didnt need anything else till tea time after this. Found the staff very friendly and helpful. We couldnt have asked for a more pleasing and pleasant stay which was also helped by the fact the weather was just perfect aswell.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine G
plymouth
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Went here for food a couple of times while working in sellafeild. Sunday nght was good as they had a lovely carvery on and other various food from the menu and specials board. The owner was very freindly and made us both welcome imediately, even though he had obviously had a very busy day. We had to work late on the weds evening and went there hopeing food would be still on even though it was after 9, the chef had gone home earlier as they had a quiet night so we were a bit stuck. The owner then said he would go into the kitchen and make us some sandwiches and chips, brilliant as he didnt have to do this and it was much apreciated. Will hopefully stay here next year when working, as we stayed somewhere else because we didnt know the area at all and it wasnt anywhere near as good as this place. Thanks again for your hospitality

Room Tip: Didnt stay in a room but just ask the owner when you book
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2012

For anyone who wants a relaxing weekend away set in Cumbrian countryside with a babbling stream and great walks! You could not do better than the White Mare Hotel in Beckermet. The restaurant menu catered to every ones pallet with an inventive menu and well executed food, which was beautifully cooked and serve by pleasant and happy staff. The suite was clean and comfortable with all amenities at hand. I would not have gone if I had believed some of the reviews I read when researching my choices, so my advice is do not believe every thing you read. I practiced this philosophy and had a great weekend and would recommend this establishment to anyone who is planning a trip to Cumbria.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tony E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My review is based on 8 consecutive nights of dining I did not stay in the accommodation.

Firstly a lot of the previous reviews are very unfair in my opinion.

The landlord: yes dry sense of humor, but good landlord, and very helpful. His staff are brilliant, all waitresses are quick, responsive and not pushy, his kitchen staff are the best ive seen in a long time, the chef came out one night and is a clean and tidy decent chap.

I dined in the bar area, hot open fire, everything was clean and tidy.

The food is exceptional; I would call it good honest English food.

There is a specials board and a bar board, which never really changed that much. Price wise it may be expensive to some peoples budget, starters average £4-6 and main from £9 and deserts £4. Drinks were reasonable.

I will comment on some of what I had. Prawn cocktail £5.95, is plated and a large portion of chunky prawns, with flavor and meaty, small chopped mixed salad, and de crusted bread and butter, was really good. Soup (home made) broccoli and Stilton, really good, hot tasty, with fresh buttered roll £4.95, portion was a bit small for my liking. Chicken goujouns, home made really good £5.95

Mains, steak and ale pie, all home made, so so so so good, home made chips again great, and bowl of veg, I had this pie 3 times, veg changes, mini cob, broccoli, cabbage, sweede etc mixture, I asked for large portion as so good, all veg cooked to perfection.
Turkey, ham and mushroom pie, I asked for mash, and veg all good. Both of these £8.95. On Sunday there is a carvery, beef, gammon, turkey, I went for beef (normally don’t as always tough) and turkey, well the beef was melt in the mouth incredible, turkey good, huge portion, veg was plentiful, gravy was frankly historic.
Fridays alternate is a fish night, im not into fish so wasn’t for me, but looked good, the other Friday is indian, im gutted as wasn’t on (fish night), all home made they say, £9.95 eat as much as you want.
Deserts I didn’t go for, apart form cheeseboard, £5,25 BUT was worth every penny and im as mean as hell.
Steaks which there are a few, I didn’t go for, out of my budget at £13-£17, but many were eating that I saw, and clean plates so cant be bad right??

Im on o2 network and no phone signal, also the general area no 3g, so was great to have free wi fi every night.

Coffee was good, possibly bottomless cup, I didn’t ask, but was offered seconds.

I managed to grab the chef when he passed and told him just how good his food is, how upsetting to see some of the past comments, it, from my visits was nothing like what has been written.
There is a loyalty card 10 stamps and free meal, I got to 8, chances of visiting the area again slim…..a shame.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Went yesterday for lunch. Lunch was very good, food well cooked and fresh. The dining room was so cold I had to put my coat on half way through the meal. The radiatiors were not turned on. There was no fire in the grate. Not at all welcoming! When I mentioned the cold to the waitress she sounded surprised!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I saw the few v poor reviews and was very worried and not looking forward to my stay but I was pleasantly surprised. The food in the evening was good, the atmosphere was warm and inviting. I stayed on the evening of the pub quiz and it was great fun.

The owner is a "marmite" person you either like his sense of humour or you don't but don't let this put you off.

The lovely lady who serves breakfast in the morning is a real credit to the pub - nothing is to much trouble and always with a smile

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckermet
Sella Park Country House Hotel
Ennerdale Country House Hotel
Seacote Hotel
Seacote Hotel
#3 of 3 in St. Bees

Been to The White Mare? Share your experiences!